Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-17, 12:04 AM  
beanpeanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
How can you not be a fan of hers. What an accomplished woman.. what an inspiration! What a good message she puts out. Imagine all the adversary she had to fight against and still does.. and look at her.. she's a goddess!! She is a roll model to young girls.. especially young black girls!!!
Ok, so please don't be offended by my opinion, has nothing to do with your response.

I don't like her behavior when she losses a match, the eye rolling and snarky attitude towards people when they want to interview her, her diva, snobby mood is off putting and what really gets me is she won't sign any of the children's tennis balls afterwards, she stammers off to the locker room.For someone to have such a successful career and all that money, I would expect her to behave more graciously. I have very little respect for her. There are so many amazing, humble women on the tour right now! I'm going to focus on them and be supportive.

And if I have to see that phony, musical jewelry box twirling ballerina spin on the court, I think I'll gouge my eye out.
Old 09-25-17, 06:51 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpeanut View Post
Ok, so please don't be offended by my opinion, has nothing to do with your response.

I don't like her behavior when she losses a match, the eye rolling and snarky attitude towards people when they want to interview her, her diva, snobby mood is off putting and what really gets me is she won't sign any of the children's tennis balls afterwards, she stammers off to the locker room.For someone to have such a successful career and all that money, I would expect her to behave more graciously. I have very little respect for her. There are so many amazing, humble women on the tour right now! I'm going to focus on them and be supportive.

And if I have to see that phony, musical jewelry box twirling ballerina spin on the court, I think I'll gouge my eye out.

I don't like tennis for a number of reasons that I won't get into because it's not relevant to this discussion, but I agree with you on S. Williams for the reasons you mention.
Old 09-25-17, 07:36 AM  
dianestjohn

So happy that the world is changing so that more than 1 female body type or size is considered acceptable. I can still remember Tracy Anderson saying that she knows that ALL women want to be teeny tiny and that's what her workouts would do. I feel that there has been a double standard (men can be large - and not just with large muscles but with some body fat - and still be considered good athletes, whereas women were only considered fit or athletic if their muscles were toned-but-smallish, and they had very little body fat.) Loving the fierceness of women in the public eye who challenge that assumption.
Old 09-25-17, 05:09 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpeanut View Post

I wasn't a fan of her attitude when she acted out. But I also notice that Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe had much worse behavior as part of their personal brands and somehow they got a pass...even when they paid penalties for the extremeness of their behavior.

"Oh, yeah, they are behaving badly..oh but their the best so I guess that's what it takes for them to succeed." I remember hearing that a lot from tennis fans growing up, and that along with other things turned me off from enjoying tennis years before Serena and Venus came on the scene.

With John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors, I believe there is more to them than when they are at their worst. (Although I saw John McEnroe on the Stephen Colbert Show and I think the jury is still out on him.)

I think we have already seen there is more to Serena Williams than when she didn't act her best. She most certainly isn't a phony...I don't think she is ever afraid to be herself. I know that I am strengthen and inspired to see her have become such a champion, and now a mother, even after the adversity she faced growing up and challenges she faced after becoming a success (both internal with her health as well as with the public). It inspires me to overcome the adversities in my life to become the best I can be and live my truth in every moment.

Also, I think you may be the only person in the world to ever have called her a ballerina.
Old 09-26-17, 03:48 PM  
suzannaerin

Good point about the double standard, you are right on. I read an interview where she discussed the aftermath of her kerfuffle with the line judge and her mom really gave her the business. She admitted being ashamed about it.

I don't mind her ego, she likely needs a measure of it to play with that much fierceness.
Old 09-28-17, 11:27 PM  
beanpeanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Also, I think you may be the only person in the world to ever have called her a ballerina.
I was referring to the motion and/or act that she displays after winning a match!
Old 09-28-17, 11:59 PM  
beanpeanut

beyond.omega;2734915] It inspires me to overcome the adversities in my life to become the best I can be and live my truth in every moment.
QUOTE]

And that is a wonderful thing to write! I am sure you will inspire many.
Old 09-29-17, 10:34 AM  
nckfitheart

Thanks to OP for sharing the article. I am glad Serena honored her mother publicly. It is well expressed and written. Serena has power and she is a portrait/image of what the mainstream does not like to see and promote! For that narrow minded crowd, she will never win despite the fact that she has broken many record. She is fiercely won her impressing record to the hatred of some! So please spare us all the double standard demeanor!

I am glad she has just said it as it is to her naysayers.

Ballerina reference sounded sarcastically snarky!

ETA: with regards to Tennis, here below is an article about Billy Jean role
https://www.t-nation.com/training/em...gn=article6384
Old 09-30-17, 11:35 PM  
beanpeanut

[QUOTE=nckfitheart;2735625Serena has power and she is a portrait/image of what the mainstream does not like to see and promote!

I have no problem with her image or how she looks! Again, my issue is with her attitude and behavior when a match does not go her way.

Ballerina.....I'm describing a motion that the sister's make after they win a match. If my feelings about this motion(Ballerina) bothered you, well....sorry you are offended.
Old 10-01-17, 12:24 AM  
beanpeanut

[QUOTE=nckfitheart;2735625]For that narrow minded crowd!/QUOTE]

Well.... what about this! Whom are we referring to??
Closed Thread