Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-17, 07:08 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Serena Williams gives birth to baby girl

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/n...letter-w504539 (link to the full letter also at the end of the article)
In an open letter to her mother she says:
Quote:
Dear Mom, You are one of the strongest women I know. I was looking at my daughter (OMG, yes, I have a daughter ��) and she has my arms and legs! My exact same strong, muscular, powerful, sensational arms and body.
Goes on to express her hurt by her naysayers and critics and not feeling enough support but also to say:
Quote:
I am proud we were able to show them what some women look like. We don't all look the same. We are curvy, strong, muscular, tall, small, just to name a few, and all the same: we are women and proud!
Old 09-23-17, 11:59 PM  
beanpeanut

I am not a fan of her and never will be!
Old 09-24-17, 08:21 AM  
upperwside

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpeanut View Post
How can you not be a fan of hers. What an accomplished woman.. what an inspiration! What a good message she puts out. Imagine all the adversary she had to fight against and still does.. and look at her.. she's a goddess!! She is a roll model to young girls.. especially young black girls!!!
Old 09-24-17, 08:22 AM  
upperwside

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/n...letter-w504539 (link to the full letter also at the end of the article)
In an open letter to her mother she says:

Goes on to express her hurt by her naysayers and critics and not feeling enough support but also to say:
There is a great article on Serena in Vanity Fair a few months back. I enjoyed reading it.
Old 09-24-17, 08:45 AM  
pricek

Congratulations Serena! What a little cutie! Thanks for sharing
Old 09-24-17, 10:02 AM  
suzannaerin

Serena is one of the best athletes in history. I think she's amazing and can't wait to see her back on the court.

Her baby is a beauty.
Old 09-24-17, 11:36 AM  
DCW

Hello,

I started watching the Williams sisters when they first started. What I have admired about the two of them is how they started tennis. Their father (non-tennis player) taught them and got them to the professional level. Their beginnings gave an opening to the possibility of getting to that level of tennis without special camps, tennis pro coaches, etc. Their skill and level of play have been instrumental in making women’s tennis a much watch event. I am also looking forward to the movie about Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs back in the 70s aka "the battle of the sexes".

So, congratulations to the new mom and baby, plus grandma has another baby to hold.
Old 09-24-17, 02:14 PM  
Genevieve M

That was so lovely that she honored her mom. When I think of her, the word 'Power' comes to mind.

Saw a picture of her and the baby; the baby is beautiful.

And - Serena already can already wear her pre-pregnancy clothes - including her Daisy Dukes!! All those years on the court paid off.
Old 09-24-17, 02:32 PM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpeanut View Post
I have never been a fan either tho I congratulate her on her new daughter and wish them all the best.
Old 09-24-17, 03:25 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Thanks for posting!

I'll continue quoting what she wrote:

Quote:
and she has my arms and legs! My exact same strong, muscular, powerful, sensational arms and body. I don't know how I would react if she has to go through what I've gone through since I was a 15 year old and even to this day.

I've been called man because I appeared outwardly strong. It has been said that that I use drugs (No, I have always had far too much integrity to behave dishonestly in order to gain an advantage). It has been said I don't belong in Women's sports -- that I belong in Men's -- because I look stronger than many other women do. (No, I just work hard and I was born with this badass body and proud of it).
Even before I read this context, I was wondering what kind of world her daughter will find, maybe even before she herself turns 15.

Even if Serena doesn't tell her daughter that she should be ashamed of her body (and that she should constrain her exercise life so that she doesn't turn TOO BIG!!!! or whatnot), the world is still acutely interested in telling people (especially girls and women) what's "wrong" with their bodies and what products they should buy to "fix" them.

And I'll requote another part for this reason.

Quote:
I am proud we were able to show them what some women look like. We don't all look the same. We are curvy, strong, muscular, tall, small, just to name a few, and all the same: we are women and proud!
Some years ago, I noticed that exercise instructors generally seem to teach, at least in effect if not explicitly, that the world would be a better place if all women looked as much alike as humanly possible.

I prefer to support instructors with a different story.

And I wish them a happy, healthy life, especially in a world that accepts them for who they are.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Closed Thread