Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-16, 02:46 PM  
daisyduke

Sick after exercise???

Yesterday I did p90x chest and back. I felt like it was hard but not crazy hard at all (I've done several rounds of p90x) in the past. More recently though I've been doing light weights, yoga, and dance cardio.

Well I couldn't sleep all night and today I feel like I have the flu. I know it's from the exercise because the exact same thing happened last time I started p90x. Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-16, 02:54 PM  
Chomper

Is it possible you have a chronic illness, maybe undiagnosed?

I found this article, but it sounds like it could be pseudo-sciencey. I can't vouch for it. Interesting topic.

http://www.rmaxinternational.com/flowcoach/?p=33

ETA: I think it might just be as simple as increasing your workout volume too much too fast. Next time you start up something like P90X, start by only doing the first half of the workouts the first week or two, and see if that helps.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-16, 03:00 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

I'm not in great shape and had this happen many times when I ramp up a bit. I have an enjoyable workout and boom, sinus infection to halt my momentum. I've read about post-exertion malaise that fibro people get, but am not in that category. I haven't found a solution.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-16, 03:18 PM  
daisyduke

I really don't understand it... I was doing two full hours of Tracy Anderson prior to this. One hour of muscular structure and one hour dance cardio. Perceived exertion seems way higher with the dance cardio than chest and back!
Old 03-29-16, 03:37 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

You may actually have the flu as it's making the rounds late this year. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-16, 03:45 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I found this article, but it sounds like it could be pseudo-sciencey. I can't vouch for it. Interesting topic.

http://www.rmaxinternational.com/flowcoach/?p=33
Wow, there is nothing pseudoscience about that article at all. It actually explains everything.

What that article describes was my first thought. This actually happens to me if I increase my T-Tapp too quickly (and T-Tapp is designed to increase detoxification by optimizing lymphatic flow, among other things.) Try drinking more water.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-16, 03:47 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
I really don't understand it... I was doing two full hours of Tracy Anderson prior to this. One hour of muscular structure and one hour dance cardio. Perceived exertion seems way higher with the dance cardio than chest and back!
Volume of work is amount of weight you're lifting X reps X sets. If you were doing TA, my guess is the volume was much lower, right? She doesn't use weights does she? Your body probably got slammed by the difference.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-16, 03:58 PM  
daisyduke

I drank two huge water bottles full after doing my p90x today and it really really seems to be helping. I bet I was severely dehydrated! Could that be it?
Old 03-29-16, 04:02 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Wow, there is nothing pseudoscience about that article at all. It actually explains everything.

What that article describes was my first thought. This actually happens to me if I increase my T-Tapp too quickly (and T-Tapp is designed to increase detoxification by optimizing lymphatic flow, among other things.) Try drinking more water.
Except that every other online source describes the reaction as being related to treatment with antibiotics, specifically for syphilis! http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditio...s-for-syphilis

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-16, 04:04 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

What symptoms are you having exactly? You say you "feel like you have the flu." Are you tired? Feverish? Depending on those, dehydration may be an issue. The change in exercise type could definitely cause some tiredness, achiness, etc. If you do have actual chills, aches, etc., then you may actually have the flu. It's been a really bad year for it! I had it in early February myself.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sick after exercise