Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-16, 12:35 PM  
adrien_73

Foam rolling aggravates my injury?

I thought I had simply pulled a muscle deep in my left glute, but after babying it for months it has not gotten better. I was thinking it could be my sciatic nerve or piriformis? I have been having some other aches and pains so I decided to only do yoga & stretching for a week and let everything heal & recover.

I introduced some foam rolling, focusing on that glute area. I am surprised that after the rolling, it feels more aggravated and inflamed.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 12:42 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I love foam-rolling. But, I don't think it helps with nerve pain or injury and might aggravate it.

Have you thought about seeing a sports doctor as it has been so long? If you can a diagnosis, you can proceed from there.

I hope you feel better soon!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 12:48 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

If it's been going on for months and isn't getting better, I'd go see someone.

As for rolling, I don't think it's helpful to roll right where you have pain. The problem is usually up- or down-stream from the point of pain. The exception is my very soft MELT roller, I can do the sequences with that and it doesn't bother me, but a hard roller... ouch!

I hope it gets better soon!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 12:52 PM  
adrien_73

Thank you for your replies! I will probably see a doc eventually but even with insurance the x-rays will be very expensive. I was hoping rest and foam rolling would help. The foam rolling is def. not helping! But it did help me realize that my IT band is SUPER tight!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 12:55 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
I introduced some foam rolling, focusing on that glute area. I am surprised that after the rolling, it feels more aggravated and inflamed.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Rolling the glutes in certain areas too aggressively can cause problems. I don't remember where I heard that but I think Jill Miller in her Roll Model mentions not rolling the sciatic nerve area at the top of the hamstrings. She does roll the gluteus medius. I believe she is not a fan of foam rollers because they are too hard. I think aggressive rolling piriformis area can inflame the area. I will see if I can find the source for that.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 01:03 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

I have a back-of-leg cramp that failed to get better with rolling, etc. It turned out to be a cyst. I'd also vote seeing something for a persistent pain.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 01:09 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
The exception is my very soft MELT roller, I can do the sequences with that and it doesn't bother me, but a hard roller... ouch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
...Jill Miller in her Roll Model mentions not rolling the sciatic nerve area at the top of the hamstrings. She does roll the gluteus medius. I believe she is not a fan of foam rollers because they are too hard.
I use a soft foam roller. I'm just too bony for the hard ones. I tried a rumble roller once. Owwieee!!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 02:47 PM  
Vantreesta

I definitely agree with seeing a doctor. I had a hip and hamstring injury that I thought was just a pull but turned out to be torn hamstring, hip labrum, and a couple ligaments. I made it worse and prolonged recovery by doing yoga and trying to fix it myself.

A couple months ago I was foam rolling my glutes on that side and thought something felt squishy. My chiropractor confirmed it was most likely my hip bursa and recommended avoiding that area.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 02:47 PM  
Vantreesta

Sorry, double post.

Anyway, hope you get answers and heal soon!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 04:35 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I've not have that experience, but I surely never thought that foam rolling could make it worse... I hope you'll recover soon. Please, keep us posted.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam roller, foam roller and injury, foam rolling