Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-15, 02:55 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenalesa View Post
Something to think about. And I'm saying this with all due respect.

I am currently taking classes to sit for the ACE personal trainer and group fitness instructor. At my current weight, 220 pounds, 5'3". I am one of the oldest students (51) and largest (not THE largest) but surprisingly, not one of the least fit. There's a gorgeous 20 year old who is 5'8", 120 pounds, beautiful figure, who is as deconditioned as I am. She looks a whole lot better, tho, LOL. She's not the only one who is young and looks good, but isn't healthy.

My best friend, whom I love dearly, gently suggested that this might not be all that successful bc I"m heavy.
I'm so sorry to hear that people who probably have a lot to offer are not going into the field because they're afraid of being judged. I'm afraid of it, too, but I'm not going to let it stop me. My target audience is going to be people who are like me, getting started on the road back to health. It's tough enough to deal with all that without being judged based on the way we look.
I admire you.

For my part, back in the year of the flood (over 20 years ago); and sorry I don't mention my weight or clothing size at any time (due to having been on all these feminist eating disorder blogs over the years), I had once had the idle thought of becoming a seniors' step instructor. At that time, that b*tch gravity and I had had a truce! Due to having liked my step that much.

But the way that I'd done my step workouts (super rabid about them!) had resulted in my first of a series of orthopedic injuries.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-15, 03:42 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

In the theoretical world where I took pole dancing, I'd be more than happy for Roz as an instructor.

As an older woman with health conditions/fatigue that complicate weight management, I'd be much more comfortable with a larger-size but fit older instructor who appreciates the obstacles of seeking fitness at this age. I certainly didn't understand them myself when I was in my 20s and 30s.

Of course teaching too is an art that knows no body type. Some short-lived brushes with uberfit, highly competitive young things were regrettable, and I've tutored a few of them about respecting the student.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-15, 08:51 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenalesa View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that people who probably have a lot to offer are not going into the field because they're afraid of being judged. I'm afraid of it, too, but I'm not going to let it stop me. My target audience is going to be people who are like me, getting started on the road back to health. It's tough enough to deal with all that without being judged based on the way we look.
Ellenalesa, you're awesome, and I LOVE that you are doing this! I completely, totally and emphatically agree that there is a place for everyone in the fitness industry, because everyone needs movement. As many have said, some may really click with a trainer or instructor BECAUSE she or he doesn't have a magazine-cover body, isn't young and pert and HAS been through stuff in life that might make that physical ideal unrealistic. Being able to say, 'I hear you, I have (or have had) the same struggles, let's find a way to make fitness work for you' might be what someone out there really needs.

Honestly, even if you or others never end up actually training or teaching, the education you get from the training certification is probably worth the effort alone!

For my part, there are myriad reasons why I'm not pursuing barre instructor training at this time. The concern over body scrutiny is just a niggling thing in the back of my mind. If all the other issues were resolved, I probably would look into it seriously, because I really do think I could be good at it! And I don't think there are enough instructors out there in their 40's and older, women like me who have had kids and struggled through injuries and other life stresses.

But it's tough to change the culture on this. Many people will judge the efficacy of a type of exercise on the look of it's instructors. I can appreciate gym/studio owners' reluctance to employ people--even to work the front desk--who don't have a certain look. It's their livelihood and it's a cut-throat industry. I guess change would have to start by de-emphasizing the aesthetic benefits and stressing the health/wellness/feel-good benefits, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-15, 09:16 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Just chiming in to say that I would never choose a personal trainer by how they look. I would want someone who knows their stuff and can teach me, and has a compatible personality so the sessions are fun. It would be great if they can also perform feats of strength and balance that wow me, but their body fat % is irrelevant to me.
Agreed.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 10:02 AM  
ellenalesa

Thanks for the support

It really means a lot. I don't even tell people what I'm doing because I realize it may seem unrealistic or even downright foolish, based on my current fitness level. I may never be a bikini model (wouldn't feel comfortable exposing myself that way even if I had the body for it) but I am aiming for reasonably attractive figure and greatly improved health, so I can speak with the authority/credibility that comes with walking the walk.

Nuggies Auntie...you are so right about the education. Everybody knows we should exercise and maintain a healthy weight, but when you learn about it from the professional side, and recognize that you yourself are at risk for heart attack, stroke, diabetes, etc., it really hits home! This may actually wind up saving my life.
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 12:47 PM  
topfitmama

We go to doctors who abused their bodies with lack of sleep, too much coffee and poor diets, and we let them advise us on our health. Some of these doctors are overweight and may even have medical issues. We still listen to them because we trust their knowledge.
I would hope that any person who is passionate about helping people get fit and who is properly qualified would earn the same respect.

But I understand that fitness has been given a certain image and a lot of consumers pursue fitness with the sole purpose of achieving the image.
I guess the only solution is to divorce fitness from a certain look and bring it back to being all about being physically active and, for lack of a better word, fit!

Nuggies Auntie, I hope those things that are keeping you from becoming a barre instructor solve themselves. Based on what you write on here and your blog, I think you'd make an awesome, down-to-earth barre instructor!

Ellenalesa, enjoy the training!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 01:22 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Nuggies Auntie, I hope those things that are keeping you from becoming a barre instructor solve themselves. Based on what you write on here and your blog, I think you'd make an awesome, down-to-earth barre instructor!
Aw, thanks Topfitmama! I've taken so many classes at so many different studios over the years. I definitely have an idea of what makes a good instructor. Whether or not I'd be one of those, I don't know... But my pastor's wife asked me to teach a class for the women of the church in the new year, so I'm going to try that. I'll be among friends, so even if I'm terrible at it, we'll all have a good laugh!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 02:39 PM  
Gams

I took dance classes for years and taught dance classes for years, so I know not to judge anyone's ability by their looks.

P. S. I think Susan Boyle taught Simon Cowell that lesson, too...LOL...
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 06:30 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Aw, thanks Topfitmama! I've taken so many classes at so many different studios over the years. I definitely have an idea of what makes a good instructor. Whether or not I'd be one of those, I don't know... But my pastor's wife asked me to teach a class for the women of the church in the new year, so I'm going to try that. I'll be among friends, so even if I'm terrible at it, we'll all have a good laugh!
That sounds like the perfect setting to try out your instructing skills! Why don't I live somewhere near your church? I can't imagine ours opening its doors for a barre class....
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 07:48 PM  
ellenalesa

Have fun with it, Nuggie's Auntie!

So glad you're going for it. I"m trying to find a group of women who attend my church and want to give them free Callanetics lessons, to get my confidence back up.
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness at every size, fitness trainers, health at every size, pole dancing, pole fitness