Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-15, 01:05 AM  
yahoo205

Do you think I could do Insanity or any plyometrics jumping barefoot on the Manduka Pro Square Squared Mat or would that be too much pressure on my feet? I have wood flooring.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 02:46 AM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
Do you think I could do Insanity or any plyometrics jumping barefoot on the Manduka Pro Square Squared Mat or would that be too much pressure on my feet? I have wood flooring.
I do it all the time - either purely barefoot, or in my Inov-8's. That's what I love about it - you can do everything on it, and I haven't noticed any wear whatsoever! I seriously love it so much! The only negative is that it is quite awkward to roll up and store, if you don't have a place to leave it out all the time. For that reason, mine is usually always just left out in my workout area.

Just as a side note, the mention of the Jade yoga mat reminded me - if you were interested in signing up for a one year membership to YogaVibes, they are giving away a free Jade yoga mat with purchase. When I put it in my cart, it told me it was a free 68" Jade Harmony Professional yoga mat in your choice of color. The yearly membership is $200 though, so I'm not sure if that would be something that you'd be interested in. Just thought I'd pass it on
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 07:03 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

I have good mats that are a bit thin, purchased years ago from my yoga teacher. I put two on top of each other when I want more cushioning, & that way at workshops where the floor is grubby only the bottom one gets dirty. Might be easier to find a good thin non slip one & to place it over a cheap one.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 04:23 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
I do it all the time - either purely barefoot, or in my Inov-8's. That's what I love about it - you can do everything on it, and I haven't noticed any wear whatsoever! I seriously love it so much! The only negative is that it is quite awkward to roll up and store, if you don't have a place to leave it out all the time. For that reason, mine is usually always just left out in my workout area.
Do you have wood flooring or carpet? If it gave enough cushion to do Insanity or other Plyo moves barefoot it would be worth it, though I'm reluctant to make the investment now. But, I'm really tempted.
Old 01-29-15, 04:35 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Do you have wood flooring or carpet? If it gave enough cushion to do Insanity or other Plyo moves barefoot it would be worth it, though I'm reluctant to make the investment now. But, I'm really tempted.
I have wood flooring. I hate to enable you on such a big purchase, since maybe for you plyo-type moves wouldn't feel good? For me though, it works out fine!
Old 01-29-15, 04:37 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
I have wood flooring. I hate to enable you on such a big purchase, since maybe for you plyo-type moves wouldn't feel good? For me though, it works out fine!
Do you often do Insanity barefoot on the Manduka?
Old 01-29-15, 05:09 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Do you often do Insanity barefoot on the Manduka?
No, I wouldn't say I do them often. I'm personally not big on Insanity-type workouts. The workouts I mostly do are Buti/Yoga/TA/Tonique, a little bit of Cathe - things like that. However the times that I do Insanity-type of workouts, the mat itself feels great, as far as impact-absorption, etc. I usually always wear my Inov-8's when I do those workouts, so not true barefoot, but really close. When I do higher-impact workouts with Cathe, or things like Tonique, the mat feels great under my feet - whether I'm completely barefoot or I wear shoes. If your feet are already used to going barefoot during all of your workouts, I'm sure you'd have no problem working out with this mat.

The other thing I love about the density of this mat is that it isn't thick and squishy, but yet it isn't paper thin. I would describe it as that just-right density, that gives just the right amount of support.

Again, I hate to steer you in the wrong direction, since it is such an expensive mat. Do you mainly do Insanity-style workouts, or will you also be using it for more of a yoga mat?

Last edited by Yelly; 01-29-15 at 05:18 PM. Reason: needed to reword a few things - sorry!
Old 01-29-15, 05:23 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
No, I wouldn't say I do them often. I'm personally not big on Insanity-type workouts. The workouts I mostly do are Buti/Yoga/TA/Tonique, a little bit of Cathe - things like that. However the times that I do Insanity-type of workouts, the mat itself feels great, as far as impact-absorption, etc. I usually always wear my Inov-8's when I do those workouts, so not true barefoot, but really close. When I do higher-impact workouts with Cathe, or things like Tonique, the mat feels great under my feet - whether I'm completely barefoot or I wear shoes. If your feet are already used to going barefoot during all of your workouts, I'm sure you'd have no problem working out with this mat.

Again, I hate to steer you in the wrong direction, since it is such an expensive mat. Do you mainly do Insanity-style workouts, or will you also be using it for more of a yoga mat?
I just started Insanity Max 30 and am hoping to finish a 2 month rotation. I guess a real dream would be to have 2 of these mats on top of each other.
Old 01-29-15, 05:31 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
I just started Insanity Max 30 and am hoping to finish a 2 month rotation. I guess a real dream would be to have 2 of these mats on top of each other.
Sorry, I kept editing my post above - I think I added a little more while you were typing - ha ha!

I honestly don't think you'd ever need to double-up with this mat. I really think it would be perfect for you, if your feet are already conditioned for those types of workouts done barefoot. The one note I added above (sorry) was that the density is just right with this mat, and I feel it gives really good support - although I'm not doing an Insanity rotation. Still, if I were to ever do a rotation like that I would have no problem using this mat to do what you're describing.

You may want to pm zellybelly upthread, since she also bought this mat - maybe she has something she could add, as far as Insanity-style workouts?
Old 01-29-15, 06:11 PM  
yahoo205

http://www.naturalfitnessinc.com/sto...?ProductID=134

The Hero mat has great density and pretty good thickness but is just too slippery. I called the company and they said to wipe it down with a damp cloth (with water or yoga mat cleaner cleanser) and let air dry. I will try that and hopefully it works.

But the size of the Manduka Square is a dream. I can see how it would be your best fitness purchase.

Tags
yoga, yoga mat, yoga mats