Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-13, 02:28 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Omg, I feel physically ill...

That stomach-pumping machine is deeply, deeply disturbing...
Old 08-03-13, 06:46 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Several years ago, my cosmetic dermatologist mentioned that she'd been in L.A. recently, and the latest off-label use for Botox among Hollywood actors/actresses was injecting it in the stomach. Supposedly it slowed down the movement of food out of the stomach; since the person felt full for longer, s/he wouldn't eat as much.

Injections of a paralyzing drug. Into the STOMACH. For weight loss.

I didn't think anything could be more off-center than that, until I saw this post.
Old 08-03-13, 07:52 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
Several years ago, my cosmetic dermatologist mentioned that she'd been in L.A. recently, and the latest off-label use for Botox among Hollywood actors/actresses was injecting it in the stomach. Supposedly it slowed down the movement of food out of the stomach; since the person felt full for longer, s/he wouldn't eat as much.

I didn't think anything could be more off-center than that, until I saw this post.
But wouldn't injecting botulism into the stomach give the person botulism? I mean, it's a food poisoning bacteria. I really don't get how that would work without poisoning the person.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 07:53 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
They are showing a doctor sewing a patch onto people's tongues to keep them from eating normally for a month while they "prescribe" 800 calorie liquid diets in order to crash diet. ARRRRGGGHHH! These are doctors?
Apparently the Hyppocratic oath isn't something we do anymore?
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 08:25 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
But wouldn't injecting botulism into the stomach give the person botulism? I mean, it's a food poisoning bacteria. I really don't get how that would work without poisoning the person.
Botox is a purified form of the same bacteria that causes botulism, but it is not the same as injecting yourself with botulism poisoning. In the doses used for cosmetic purposes, it's a paralyzing agent, which is why you can have it injected in your forehead so you can't make frown lines. The stomach injections are done at a dose that doesn't paralyze the stomach but slows its emptying.
Old 08-03-13, 08:29 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post

How sickening! What is wrong with plain old diet and exercise? I guess that's not fast enough for some people. It's a heck of a lot safer though, even if it is slow! I am living proof!

Unreal...
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 09:24 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

This is all so distressing - and the fact that it's sanctioned and performed by doctors? Disgusting!

On a related note, what is it with the American obsession with weddings? Each I hear about is bigger, splashier, more extravagant than the last, with spending completely through the roof! There are so many ridiculous over-the-top reality shows about dresses, brides, weddings, and now bootcamp for these loser couples. Of course these brides-to-be are now onto more and more excessive ways to lose weight... these weddings are so fraught and invested with every emotion, not to mention tons of debt! I went to one last year that would not have been considered excessive compared to these reality shows yet was so ridiculously huge that we barely saw the couple and so expensive that all the families went heavily into debt to pay for it. Crazy! <smh>
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 09:48 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
On a related note, what is it with the American obsession with weddings?
There is a fabulous, insightful book that explores this question: http://www.amazon.com/Cinderella-Dre...rds=cele+otnes
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 10:08 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Apparently the Hyppocratic oath isn't something we do anymore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
This is all so distressing - and the fact that it's sanctioned and performed by doctors? Disgusting!

On a related note, what is it with the American obsession with weddings? Each I hear about is bigger, splashier, more extravagant than the last, with spending completely through the roof! There are so many ridiculous over-the-top reality shows about dresses, brides, weddings, and now bootcamp for these loser couples. Of course these brides-to-be are now onto more and more excessive ways to lose weight... these weddings are so fraught and invested with every emotion, not to mention tons of debt! I went to one last year that would not have been considered excessive compared to these reality shows yet was so ridiculously huge that we barely saw the couple and so expensive that all the families went heavily into debt to pay for it. Crazy! <smh>

This kind of sickening insanity being endorsed and performed by doctors is what really gets me. I mean, those women weren't even obese for goodness sake! It's one thing if someone is morbidly obese to undergo gastric bypass, where their weight is an immediate threat to their health and life, but this was not the case here. Between seeing the tongue patch and the links that SueB posted I am completely outraged that these doctors are allowed to practice medicine. The doctor on 20/20 stated that his procedure was "life changing". Uh, yeah...no doubt. Life changing in setting these women up for metabolic dysfunction and eating disorders, sure.

On the wedding front...that's exactly why DH and I got married on a beach.
Old 08-03-13, 10:42 AM  
topfitmama

I find it really disturbing that doctors are doing these things. I'd read about the tongue patch (it makes me queasy!) and the nose-feeding diet, but the stomach pump? c'mon, that's bulimia!

It's sad that brides feel like they have to shrink to fit into a dress. Aren't dresses made to measure any more?
One of my sisters in law got married last summer and ordered a gown a size smaller. She was already really slim and would have rocked that gown at her normal size, but no, she had to drop 5 kg and get the smaller one. Crazy!
It's not like the months leading up to a wedding are stress-free, just add to that a dose of tiredness, crankiness and the fear of not fitting in the dress you ordered, I wonder how many brides actually enjoy their honeymoon, let alone their wedding day!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote