Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-13, 01:19 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
The author wrote on his site:

"The one constant in most of the stories I’ve read about rhabdo from strenuous exercise is that it strikes when you haven’t worked out in some time and “overdo” it the first time you start back up. Your muscles simply aren’t ready for what you’re throwing at them."

Duh. Some "athlete." The title of the article should be:

"Man says one day of being stupid sent him to the emergency room"

Love this! And I certainly don't think Beachbody or any other company/instructor can be held responsible for an end user's stupidity.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 01:26 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If guys were athletes in school and then get out of shape, they remember how their coaches pushed them and so they go at it that way again. They forget that a few years have gone by, and that they can't just pick up where they left off.
Old 07-06-13, 01:56 PM  
mle777

Beachbody has so many great sets/products, but unfortunately most beginners only get exposed to Tony Horton and Shaun T because those seem to be the only informercials that BB airs anymore (over and over and over and over again). I, personally, think that Insanity and P90X are better for experienced exercisers and not beginners (yet they are marketed that anyone can use them). I just don't get why BB doesn't run infomercials for any of their other products anymore

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 02:02 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
Beachbody has so many great sets/products, but unfortunately most beginners only get exposed to Tony Horton and Shaun T because those seem to be the only informercials that BB airs anymore (over and over and over and over again). I, personally, think that Insanity and P90X are better for experienced exercisers and not beginners (yet they are marketed that anyone can use them). I just don't get why BB doesn't run infomercials for any of their other products anymore
I think they might still run infomercials for Slim In 6. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend the new (2010) SI6 for a beginner exerciser. The old version's Start It Up was much better for a beginner. I'm riled up that they ruined it! {rolleyes}

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 04:10 PM  
marmact

P90X is actually a really well-balanced program--probably one of the more balanced programs on the market (it includes yoga and less-intensive cardio options as well as plenty of stretching; it's also set up to very easily break the workouts in half). Especially compared to some of the other stuff that's on the market today (and not just stuff that's put out by BeachBody!), it is full of safe, proven exercises done at a reasonable pace. (As a matter of fact, after doing many other programs, I find the pace to be a little TOO slow.)

I don't think BeachBody should be held responsible for some guy's stupidity. Consumers need to be more savvy and exercise some critical-thinking skills.
Old 07-06-13, 05:21 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
P90X is actually a really well-balanced program--probably one of the more balanced programs on the market (it includes yoga and less-intensive cardio options as well as plenty of stretching; it's also set up to very easily break the workouts in half). Especially compared to some of the other stuff that's on the market today (and not just stuff that's put out by BeachBody!), it is full of safe, proven exercises done at a reasonable pace. (As a matter of fact, after doing many other programs, I find the pace to be a little TOO slow.)

I don't think BeachBody should be held responsible for some guy's stupidity. Consumers need to be more savvy and exercise some critical-thinking skills.

I can't remember what my first exposure to Tony Horton was, but I distinctly remember him saying in one DVD (P90M: Cardio Intervals perhaps?) "You know what I always say - modify, modify, modify!" and "I'm a modifying fool".

When I'm working out and know I can't execute an advanced or tricky move safely or well, I hear Tony's voice in my head, and modify accordingly.
Old 07-06-13, 05:50 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
From what I have read I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that this guy was on any medications, was a heavy drinker, etc as mentioned above without knowing his background. From what I understand, over strenuous exercise in someone that is unconditioned can cause rhabdomyolysis. Even well conditioned athletes can get it.

While I think Beachbody advertising may not be the best, it took DH 15 minutes to realize Insanity wasn't for him when he was trying to get back in shape a few years ago.

Here is another link of someone developing it after doing P90X:
http://biketriad.com/index.php?optio...&Itemid=100003
Just to clarify, I made no conclusions about this individual. I specifically said that we were missing too many details. From an evaluation perspective (as in a clinical setting), I listed factors that are statistically more likely to contribute to rhabdo development. You can certainly get rhabdo from over-exertion alone. But there are often other contributing factors (dehydration, medication, hormonal imbalances, genetic variants etc). That's why so many folks can over do it and yet only a relative handful will be affected. Couch potatoes and seasoned athletes included.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 07:11 PM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
Just to clarify, I made no conclusions about this individual. I specifically said that we were missing too many details. From an evaluation perspective (as in a clinical setting), I listed factors that are statistically more likely to contribute to rhabdo development. You can certainly get rhabdo from over-exertion alone. But there are often other contributing factors (dehydration, medication, hormonal imbalances, genetic variants etc). That's why so many folks can over do it and yet only a relative handful will be affected. Couch potatoes and seasoned athletes included.
Hi EnglishIvy - I wasn't specifically responding to your post
There is certainly too many missing details. I did also read about dehydration being a big factor as well
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 07:32 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I do think BB used to make more disclaimers about P90X being for more seasoned exercisers. Lately they seem to be marketing it to beginners, and it's not a beginner program.

That said, I agree that this claim is ridiculous. This guy obviously grossly overestimated his fitness level and must have proceeded without any sense of caution or prudence (or there are other factors he hasn't divulged, and he's just blaming the program). Looks to me like he's seeking his 15 minutes of fame.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 07:47 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
Hi EnglishIvy - I wasn't specifically responding to your post
There is certainly too many missing details. I did also read about dehydration being a big factor as well
Wasn't worried about that but thank you Just clarifying to make sure this guy had a fair shake since there is no way we can be sure what happened. I certainly don't trust the report that was given. He may have played a big role in bringing this on or he may have had a contributing factor that set him up for failure with only a moderate push. These articles don't often excel on facts and they work extra hard to draw us into inflammatory conclusions. Not hard to incense a vidiot on matters of improper exercising
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injuries, p90x, rhabdomyolysis