Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-21, 09:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Cataract surgery and multi-focal lens implant

Hi everyone, I'm having cataract surgery eye two in a couple weeks. The surgeon offered the option to buy up and get a multi-focal lens implant.

I already have the standard lens in my right eye, and can see far well enough but lost much of my near vision. If I get another standard lens I'll still need to wear glasses and will lose the little bit of close vision that's left. So it will be either bifocals or switching glasses all day. (NOPE - progressives are not an option.)

With the multi-focal I will need readers only for tiny print and not need distance glasses. They are expensive, but I'm only 63 and it would be sweet to be able to just see without changing glasses for far and near all day long.

Do you have a multi-focal lens, and do you like it? The technician mentioned there is a likelihood of developing a halo that will go away with time.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-21, 10:21 AM  
kat999

Following because I feel like this will be me in a few years. I don't have cataracts but a family history, and I have borderline glaucoma, am both near and farsighted, and on my last driver's license renewal I was shocked at how I had to squint REALLY hard through the eye test. I have amblyopia in one eye that seems to be getting actively worse, and I currently make do with reading glasses (at increasing power) over contacts, but it's getting kind of bad. Curious about the lens implant surgery. I didn't even know that was a thing! I thought the best you could get was lasik to get the eye itself to better power.
Old 04-29-21, 10:44 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Kat999, the surgeon actually removes the damaged lens in your eye and replace it with a permanent "contact lens" for lack of a better phrase. A little slit on the side of your cornea, pop out the old and pop in the new, you're done.
Old 04-29-21, 10:57 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Kat999, the surgeon actually removes the damaged lens in your eye and replace it with a permanent "contact lens" for lack of a better phrase. A little slit on the side of your cornea, pop out the old and pop in the new, you're done.
WOW! I'm going to talk to my eye doc about this at my next appt!
Old 04-29-21, 11:03 AM  
BigBadBetty

I wear multifocal contact lenses. I would imagine the technology is similar. I would not want them permanently attached to eyes. I find that they don't work well in dim light. In fact, in dim light my vision is worse with my contacts in. I remove my contacts before driving at night. (My distance vision is OK without correction.) Maybe having it in one eye wouldn't be so bad.

I love them for daytime use. I love that I don't have to have my head in a certain position to have clear vision. I can get clearer vision with glasses, but they are a hassle.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-21, 11:18 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Pat - thanks for mentioning this interesting option. DH had cataract surgery a few years ago with a standard lens. the receptionist remarked that he was so young to be getting cataract surgery at 57. he got the standard lens. he said he had to re-learn how to address the ball in golf since a slight change in angle changes his focus on the ball.

what kinda bugs me is the difference in coverage for Lasik vs. cataract surgery. cataract surgery is covered (assuming you are diagnosed with cataracts). however, if you get Lasik surgery, you pay out of pocket to the tune of $2K-$3K.; I get that the 2 procedures are totally different in that you reshape the cornea for Lasik and cataract is a replacement of your lens with a synthetic one.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-21, 12:19 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

During my last eye exam I was told I'd probably need cataract surgery in a few years. I now need reading glasses, but I have always had natural 20/20 vision and I hate the idea of messing with that.
Old 04-29-21, 01:33 PM  
Jeanne

I had cataract surgery in both eyes several years ago. At first I wanted the multifocal lens but I was warned against it by my doctors. They said it did not work well and even if it was good at first, later it would not work well. Now this was several years ago so maybe they have improved since.
I ended up getting farsighted lenses implanted so I need glasses to read. The opposite of my original nearsightedness and needing glasses for far.
I also have astigmatism in one eye so that was a factor against multifocal.
Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-21, 02:04 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone. From feedback I've gotten from you folks and elsewhere, it seems like the cons outweigh the pros.
Old 04-29-21, 02:42 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
I had cataract surgery in both eyes several years ago. At first I wanted the multifocal lens but I was warned against it by my doctors. They said it did not work well and even if it was good at first, later it would not work well. Now this was several years ago so maybe they have improved since.
I ended up getting farsighted lenses implanted so I need glasses to read. The opposite of my original nearsightedness and needing glasses for far.
I also have astigmatism in one eye so that was a factor against multifocal.

Isn’t this still a type of corrective lens, though? It’s not multi focal, but it’s still doing part of what you used to wear glasses for?

Do most people get this type unless they have 20/20 distance vision? Or do most people get a clear lens that has no focal power at all?
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataracts