Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-21, 03:04 PM  
donnamp

Increased Anxiety w/ DST???

Hi!

Every since we sprung forward I have been having a terrible time w/ insomnia. To be fair, I have had issues w/ sleeping for the past few years which I have attributed to stress. But, prior to changing the time, I was doing better, but since, it is ridiculous - I wake up between 2:00/3:00 a.m. just feeling anxious.

I know there are people who have "reverse SAD" - anyone care to share their experiences and how to handle this?

This is unusual for me as I am one who always looked forward to the longer days and felt more energetic. But this year, for whatever reason it is having, a different effect on me. I'm ok energy-wise, but I do feel a heightened sense of anxiety for lack of a better word w/ the increased daylight hours....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-21, 03:54 PM  
Vantreesta

Donna, my anxiety and depression are worse around this time of year and have been for quite awhile. Around March and July are my worst times of year. I think July is bc of the heat. I hate anything above 70 and even that is pushing it. I don't know why spring messes with my brain like it does. I hate the slop of melting snow and I also hate to see the snow go bc I love winter. Once I realized I felt worse seasonally it has helped a little in dealing with it bc I know it will pass. Baseball is one of my very favorite things and one of my coping tools so I try to focus on that starting up. Obviously last year I didn't have that to help me cope, plus losing my mother-in-law last March and my mom last April and then covid just made everything so much harder and weirder. This year I have been able to listen to or watch a lot of spring training, even if it isn't my favorite teams, and that has helped a lot, I think. I have also been working out more to help cope (and trying not to indulge in my biggest anxiety-buster: baking). It helps so much that I don't have the stress of a job though. I know you work so that doesn't ease things for you. Is there a certain event or smthg that happens around this time that you can really look forward to? It has taken me several years to sort this out. And last week I just gave in to the sluggishness that I really do think was from the time change. Everything was off: poor sleep, poor eating, low energy so not much exercise compared to previous weeks, very little housework done. I told myself I could have through Sunday and I was able to get back on track yesterday.

Sometimes just knowing you aren't alone helps. I know I am weird in that too many days of sunshine causes me great anxiety and I long for cloudy days to break that up. I even love rainy and foggy days. But this year I am dealing with sunny days better so far. We'll see how I do once the heat is on too!

I hope you can find smthg to help. Anxiety is such a tough thing to deal with. I wonder if covid is part of why this year is different for you? I have been listening to podcasts about how people are tired of being homebound but also afraid of resuming normal living as things open up and how almost everyone will likely face some social awkwardness as we try to get back to normal.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-21, 06:01 PM  
fanofladyvols

Donna,
I wonder if the huge life change you're about to face with your daughter (and her possibly leaving for school) has something to do with how you're feeling? So much in your case with the horse, how she will do, etc.

It's a biggie for sure esp. with all that goes with it...been there done that

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-21, 07:17 PM  
donnamp

Thanks, Linda an Vannie -

You know, it really could be some underlying feelings I have about my DD moving on to college in less than 6 months! It very well could be and the last 3 to 4 or so years have been full of a lot of changes...for me...personally, with work, etc.

It is very strange b/c I normally was the person who looked forward to the longer days of spring/summer....and this year it is just reversed.

Maybe I need to come up with some sort of evening calming ritual or something.....

I didn't mind the longer daylight hours today as I was able to go for a walk after work....so, I guess focus on the positive.......

Maybe it is the darn time change that messed me up - b/c prior to it I was definitely doing better w/ sleep.....ugh....I wish we could pick a time and stick to it.

Donna
Old 03-23-21, 09:10 PM  
Vantreesta

Donna, I don't have kids so I don't know the feeling of letting them go on their own, but I can see how that could be very emotional and I know you have had extra concerns for her. My uneducated hunch is you have a perfect storm of things coming to a head and it feels overwhelming. The time change could have been that last little piece that tripped you over. The meditations I have been listening to talk about how awareness of your emotions can help you feel less overwhelmed and also it helps to become comfortable with being uncomfortable. I don't know if you listen to podcasts but Radio Headspace is a great resource for me. There is a new episode every weekday (although season two just ended so the episodes are repeats, not a big deal though) and they are only around 5 minutes long. There's a Headpace app too but the free version obviously has limited content. I love the podcast. Something to consider checking out if you have a few minutes a day.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 05:54 AM  
dianestjohn

I have an anxiety spike every spring - it took me many years to see the pattern. So I may have a version of reverse SAD caused by increased sunlight. But another possibility is spring pollen. Many years ago I had allergy testing done and scored very high for grass and tree pollen allergies, which puzzled me as I sneeze a bit more in the spring and maybe have itchy eyes but I don’t have dramatic allergy symptoms. But I have read that your body copes with allergies by producing higher amounts of adrenaline to neutralize the allergic reaction, and one of the side effects of adrenaline is increased anxiety, insomnia and feeling physically revved up. ( I guess this makes sense since doctors counteract severe allergic reactions with shots of adrenaline.) This theory feels true for me; when I drink nettle tea (a natural antihistamine) my anxiety drops. Anyhow, spring anxiety is real for many people.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 07:56 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I feel you Donna. I have reverse SAD too. Or maybe I've just grown to hate the sun. It's always out there now! Especially the sun glare in my eyes while driving to and from work, there's no respite.

It's been tough this particular year. I wonder if all things COVID related has ramped up the impact scale? As others have mentioned, I'm sure the layers of the upcoming change in your family nest is adding to it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 08:15 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for your thoughtful replies!

dianestjohn -that is a very interesting thing - and i do wonder if that is the case for me - one thing that happens to me in the spring is I often get sick - I can be around people with colds and flu in the fall and winter and will not catch it - but I used to always get sick in the spring (until I finally succumbed to getting a flu short every year - I try to get it late in the fall season so my immunity is strong from March-May) - it was mentioned to me that is could be allergies - weakening my immune system. Like you, i don't have a ton of allergy symptoms...but when I think back on getting sick in spring and having insomnia it does make a lot of sense.

This year, the change in time seemed more "abrupt" to me than usual and it seems to have really messed with me.

And, I do have a lot coming up personally - with changes in family and such...

Thanks everyone!

Donna
Old 03-24-21, 08:35 AM  
BunnyHop

I'm sorry you're having trouble, but I'm so glad you asked this question!

I'm really interested in some of the replies, I've learned a lot here today.

Spring has always been difficult for me, and for a long time I thought most of it was due to the fact that my mother died in early March. Somehow coming to the slow realization that at least some of my feelings were related to that anniversary really helped me.

On the other hand, the general pattern is still there, and if it's at all tied in with allergies, I can see why I'd be struggling.

Weirdly, this spring I've had my nasal congestion under good regulation with a saline nasal spray and Flonase, but have been struggling with insomnia for a while now (after having gotten my sleep habits under better regulation for a while.) My anxiety has also been bad, and my stomach (excess acid) has been going crazy. Super uncomfortable lately, but now on a medication plan with my doc and will see him again in two weeks to see if this helps.

In another vein, I'd been working on my self care, including learning to be more mindful of the way I treat myself and how I talk to myself.

The book Chatter: The Voice in Our Head, Why It Matters, and How to Harness It by Ethan Kross has some good advice that seems to be helping my anxiety. Unlearning some bad habits along those lines is an ongoing process for me.
Old 03-24-21, 10:23 AM  
Sissy B

Donna - I usually do fine with the change to DST, but I've been struggling with increased anxiety over the past few weeks too. I think part of mine was coming from the fact that we were approaching the one year anniversary of Covid-19 being declared a pandemic and all the changes to the world that came after. It's wearing on me. It's wearing on all of us.

I have a daughter in college who has struggled with all the changes the pandemic has brought and I've been trying to keep her on track this past year, even when I'm struggling myself. She lives alone and is very social so social distancing was very hard on her. She also doesn't do well with online classes. She'll graduate in December and she's worried about what her future holds and whether or not she'll be able to get a job in her field.

I also have seasonal allergies and they have been horrible this spring.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anxiety, daylight saving time, seasonal depression