Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-22-21, 05:50 AM  
Daphne M

Endurance Check-in Spring 2021~Swim Bike Row Run Hike Move!

It's time for a new Endurance thread because spring has sprung, hallelujah.

We are a diverse group of exercisers. We get knocked down but we eventually get up again and keep on going. We like hiking, cycling, running, rowing, swimming, power walking and more. We like to swap workout ideas, inspiration and challenges, whether it's a goal of walking every day or committing to a race. We get a little outside our comfort zones and yes, there may be whining, but in the end we are glad we did it. Onward and upward.

Spring Questions:
What is your favorite outdoor fitness activity?
How are you doing on your 2021 fitness goals so far?
Do you have a favorite piece of workout gear?
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 12:46 PM  
Daphne M

I had better answer my own questions. Let's go!

What is your favorite outdoor fitness activity? No suspense here, it is running, by a long shot. I've just never been that coordinated and it doesn't get much simpler than running. I'll throw in that my absolute favorite all-time outdoor non-fitness activity is sailing.
How are you doing on your 2021 fitness goals so far? I'm pleased. I didn't set any year-long goals but I have set a series of short-term goals and so far, I've surpassed my own expectations. I'm even doing something (indoor cycling) that wasn't in my original goals. I'm about 4 weeks into the bike+trainer now and it would be a lie if I said I was loving it, but I've stopped hating it and I've found myself singing along to the peloton music and even browsing the Peloton and iFit-connected bikes, because... well I'm a DVDidiot, I don't need a good reason. I have to prove to myself I'll stick with it before I take a big step like that though.

Do you have a favorite piece of workout gear? If I can count my rower as 'gear,' then hands down it is my Hydrow rower. It's like a gateway to beautiful waterways around the world with funny, personable Olympic athletes rowing in rhythm with me the whole way there. And dolphins! And sunrises and sunsets and ooh la la the MUSCLES.

Other stuff:
It was a good fitness weekend.

I ran both mornings and one of the runs was with Debbie. She got her first vaccine shot and I am so happy for her.

Also on Saturday I made it through 50 minutes on my bike + trainer, which is a first for 2021. I did a 30 minute Women's History Month ride with Emma that I LOVED - great 90s pop singalong music -- and an add-on ride with Denis.

On Sunday, I also earned a new Hydrow badge for completing the "World Water Day Race" challenge. I got a PR on the race and FINALLY broke 2:30/500 meters on my split with a 2:29. It was only a 16 minute race but I felt like I could have held my split longer. I rowed a steady strong rate of 24 SPM until there were about 3 minutes left and then started ramping up the stroke rate.

Today was active recovery. I went for a brisk morning walk and then did a Hydrow foam rolling workout. Feeling limber and loose again!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 03-22-21, 02:49 PM  
Daphne M

Vannie - I think you asked about Strava. I don't use it, so hopefully someone else who does can answer your question about it.

I do have the app but I haven't figured out why I would use it since I already have the Garmin app. (And Peloton and Hydrow apps which are loaded with metrics, my workout history and other data.)

Someone told me a long time ago that all the Strava info is public and that also did not appeal to me. I'm skeptical if that was correct but I never confirmed one way or the other.

This is my millionth time at VF today. Must STOP.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 03-22-21, 11:11 PM  
Vantreesta

Hey, guys. The headache persisted this morning but I didn't take anything for it. It wasn't as bad as the wknd and I decided I wasn't losing another day to it so I went about my day and it finally did go away. I did sleep in some so wasn't able to do everything I wanted (with workouts and chores) but this afternoon I did Caroline's hamstring exercises, ran 2.59 mi of intervals for wk5 day2 in great weather while listening to my Twins play, then I did a couple videos from a YouTube channel I found last wknd. I think it's called Run Better With Yoga. I did her Best Exercises for Piriformis Syndrome and Quick Post-run Yoga Routine. I liked both. I thought I could do kettlebells and weights after our second walk before I started supper but time was slipping away and I decided I better get supper started. Good choice since hubby actually got home at a decent time today!

Daphne, thanks for starting the new thread and for your comments on Strava. I definitely would not like it all being public! I don't even use my real name online except where it's required. I like anonymity.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-21, 11:23 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Questions: (iPad isn’t letting me select text to bold or change colors today)
What is your favorite outdoor fitness activity? Running and hiking both are at the top, but running wins because I can do it from my front door vs. having to drive somewhere.

How are you doing on your 2021 fitness goals so far? Best I’ve ever done!

Do you have a favorite piece of workout gear? If Daphne can say her Hydrow, I will say my spin bike. It’s been perfect for me. After that, I’d say BOSU, TRX, kettlebells, step, stability ball—wait, I’m just listing everything! Oh well, I love my workout area.

I did half a post yesterday in the winter thread and then had to bail. I gave a long-winded description of my beach run and sunrise yoga over the weekend. Yesterday I did a 20–minute row and 30-minute Denis ride. Today was Mobility Rx warmup and workout 1 and floor lower-body strength. Then I did my lunchtime 2.36 mile run, which felt really good today. Jean’s off skiing, so I was on my own.

Even though I thought it was irresponsible to have crowds like that during a pandemic, the Shamrock running festival looked really fun, and I’m thinking of doing it next year. I know March race-day weather in VA Beach can be iffy, and the long training runs in February could be quite challenging, but I still wanna do it.

Daphne: I’m glad to hear Hydrow has good mobility workouts. I’m getting tired of Mobility Rx—it’s good, just the same over and over. My fitness+ trial expires next week, and then I’m going to start the Hydrow trial.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-21, 12:53 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I was a little thrown by the new thread! I expected it to start April 1, but I'm here!

Spring Questions:
What is your favorite outdoor fitness activity?
In the winter, I'd say snowshoeing though I've only done it once. Other times of year, hiking! I feel like I could just go and go on a trail.
How are you doing on your 2021 fitness goals so far? Uhh I guess I don't have any. So I'm doing well! That rowing bootcamp really seemed to help tighten everything up. I'd love to lose a few lbs but failing that, I want to not get all squishy again.
Do you have a favorite piece of workout gear? I'd have to say the rower for now! As if that isn't obvious.

Vantreesta, I use Strava but never look at it. They sometimes have challenges where you can earn discounts on say Picky Bars and things like that. It does include more social aspects than Garmin. Mine actually just pulls data from Garmin though--I never run the Strava app--so no different data there.

Daphne, you can set your Strava to private, the whole account or some of the data, I believe. Huh, I wonder if my rowing split PR is recorded somewhere? I need to poke around on iFit. Yay for a PR! I definitely feel a "wall" in my rowing. I can do 30 SPM and feel challenged, can't maintain it for long. Above that and it's a major struggle. Maybe someday it won't be. I actually think it's upper body weakness that makes it tough.

Allison, the run sounds nice despite the crowd. I don't like crowds even in non-COVID times so it'd be really tough to be in one now. I've never tipped the mechanic at my bike shop. My tune-ups are free so I also never pay for them...I think the shop does have several mechanics though, so I wouldn't necessarily know who to tip.

Tell me about this Jay Blahnik video! I have a couple of Mindy Mylrea's Schwinn videos and do like those.

Did my last rowing bootcamp Friday. The workouts were all 30-45 minutes long. Some were just rowing, some were rowing with intervals of bodyweight work on the floor. Even though they were relatively short, they felt REALLY effective! I did add in some Hannah Eden strength work now and then and did one run and one hike most weeks (there were only 4 rowing workouts per week). I swear my legs and arms are more muscle and less squish than they have been in years!

Bonus--I posted on IG and the instructor commented on my post. I am such a dork! Hannah Eden has a rowing bootcamp and Gideon Akande (the instructor who did the rowing one) also has a bike bootcamp, so those are on my list for the future.

Right now I'm doing Peloton bike bootcamps. Did on yesterday and I was struggling on the bike since I haven't done it for a while. The weight work wasn't tough. Today was Les Mills 45 minute BodyCombat.

I've hiked the past 3 Saturdays. The first one two friends and the other two with one. Afterward we go out for breakfast. It's a nice little tradition! This Saturday and next we're going to a different area (been sticking close to home so far). Might have a big group on 4/3. It's supposed to get to 90, but hopefully not until late in the day!

Other news--DD had a competition Sunday. I took her and DH and DS stayed home since DS had to work. This was the first time there was no limit on attendees. Everyone was masked (other than, oddly, one of the teams). It was strange to be with so many people but I was only really around other parents of her teammates so a little less weird.

The state meet is the weekend of April 9 and I'm wondering what that one will be like. It's at the same place as the last one so maybe the same.

BUT the regional meet is the weekend of May 1 in Reno. That means a flight, hotel, rental car, and meet at the convention center with who knows how many people. I'm surprised they're having it, but who knows. It makes me nervous to think about it!

AZ opened up vaccines for 16 and up starting tomorrow so I'm going to sign up! DH still hasn't gotten his. As a healthcare worker he's been eligible since the start, but he's decided he only wants the Johnson and Johnson one. He has some ridiculous list of reasons why. Honestly it's beginning to bug me, especially now that I can get mine. I'll just stop there and spare you all my rant!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-21, 02:19 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Tipping the Bike Mechanic: I too was thinking that there are quite a few mechanics at the shop, so I have no idea who would have worked on my bike. I’m guessing the guy I saw tipping was a regular who has a working relationship with that particular mechanic.

Also, when I said above that I’m doing the best I’ve ever done with my goals, that means my goal of doing each workout. I’m nowhere near the best my fitness has ever been, and I still have a lot of weight to lose. The middle-age belly fat is clinging to me for dear life! But I keep telling myself it’s a journey not a sprint, and I’m doing all I can to be fit and healthy.

Pratima: I still get emails about all the dance competitions and conventions that are happening, indoors, with spectators. They have limits, but I’m still so glad she’s done with all that. At least soccer is outside, even though they don’t play with masks. HS does have to play with masks though if she makes that team again next month.
Old 03-23-21, 11:10 PM  
Vantreesta

This morning before cleaning and breakfast I did day 12 of the Qi Gong challenge and the last two segments of 10MS Pilates. After we walked I did Caroline's 15-Minute Glute Activation, Shut Up & Train workout 3 and then, wait for it...22 minutes on the bike! I put on my next Zombies Run mission and said ride till it's done! (I did check how long it was first. ) My butt and thighs were still burning but I enjoyed it more this time. Then I took the shrinkwrap off Jiliian Michaels' Hot Body Healthy Mommy and did the upper body segment (which, by the way, was really total body and 27 minutes rather than the 20 she claimed.) I should have stretched but it was like 2:45 and I was beyond ready for lunch.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 09:26 AM  
Daphne M

I started a post here yesterday, but my keyboard got a wild streak and in the middle of my post, it started typing everything backward. Which was mildly hilarious but the only recommended fix that actually worked was the good old restart button.

Now I feel like today's post can NEVER measure up to the one I lost from yesterday.

Vannie - Pratima has good info on Strava in her post above, if you didn't already read it. She is much better informed than I was. Also, it was fun to have a forum crossover post with you in the GD forum. Your topic was so perfectly timed because I was in the midst of one of those low energy days, had already missed my morning workout and was going through the same internal conversation as you. Thinking through my reply to the thread helped me a lot. And honestly, with the amount of dog walking you do, I don't think you've ever had a truly low movement day.

Alison - Hydrow's mobility workouts are excellent. The guy who leads them is this 60ish year old Irishman who competed in the Olympics for bobsledding twice and also did Irish stepdancing professionally. He designs a ton of workouts for the national rowing team and he is goofy and makes me happy.

Alison 2 - I understood exactly what you meant about your goals. I'm not even close to my best self, but I'm working on being better than yesterday, not on being better than 35-year old, or even 55-year old me. Never happening!

Pratima -
I would probably blush and break a sweat if one of the Hydrow instructors commented on one of my IG posts. (Especially since I never post anything on IG!) Verycool that the iFit instructor commented on yours. I went through a short phase of window shopping some of the iFit connected bikes, but have decided to put off making any kind of decision for a while. Space is a concern and I'm not even sure if I'm going to stick with the indoor cycling once we do this M22 race. I mean, I *should* stick with it, but will I? Not sure. So I'll wait and see. Is DD going to the state meet? She must be very talented!

Me - Let's see, I had a strong weekend of running, riding and rowing, then a very easy Monday (walk + foam roll), a solid Tuesday (5Krun + bike + core), then a no-workout for no-good-reason Wednesday (zilch).

I bounced back on Thursday - 20 minute Peloton low impact ride (Hannah Frankson) + 30 minutes Hydrow with the main workout a Sweat (tempo/endurance) with James, topped off with 5 minute Peloton core strength (Ben).

Today was a 2-mile easy jog outside + 40 minutes on the Hydrow with the main workout a 30-minute Drive (HIIT style) and a 10 minute Pilates core workout.

Favorite workout so far this week?
Probably yesterday's Hydrow cooldown row. It was a technique cooldown, so rowing "feet out" (i.e., no foot straps) the whole 5 minutes. I love how that forces me to really lock in my core and use control.

I'm excited that the new workouts they've been filming out West should be hitting the Hydrow on demand library soon. Some are in Colorado Springs, not sure where all of them are, but the scenery has been stunning.

Hope everyone has a good weekend planned!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 03-26-21, 12:18 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Daphne: I need to remember to not compare the me I am (or want to be) now to my former self. Or to others around me. I hope your allergies are okay with all the pollen and wind today.

Vantreesta: Yay for 22 minutes on the bike! Not that I know what you look like, but I’m picturing you riding from chasing zombies.

Pratima: I forgot to mention, good luck with the vaccine! I’m still impatiently waiting for VA to open it up more.

Me: It’s been a good fitness week. I did a very hard (for me) power zone ride on Wednesday. When Denis said what was coming, I said NO WAY can I do that. But I did! Yesterday was strength plus my bike/row/plyo/boxing HIIT day. I moved up to 14” box jumps, which I’m proud of. I think it’s only safe to add one more riser under the mini step topper thing, so if I go any higher, I’ll have to use Megan’s really high one in the backyard. I’m scared of that! Today is active rest, so I did Christine’s easy St. Patrick’s Day ride, Earth Body Yoga, and took a walk at lunchtime. It’s windy, but it’s really warm out.

I can’t believe March is almost over! Time is flying by so fast. I’ll be complaining about the heat and humidity before I know it!

Tags
endurance