Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-21, 06:34 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I did it! I did it!!!

After years of putting off the chore of getting some hazardous waste out of the garage, I took a bunch of stuff to the yearly event at a local mall parking lot. The event got canceled last year and the line was HUGE. I got there about 9:15 and didn't get unloaded and out of there for an hour and a half.

Most people seemed pretty patient, but a few were kind irate about the delay.

So glad to have that stuff out of the house. I think my dad bought a new jug of charcoal lighter fluid every time he used the grill, LOL!!!
I chemical/household hazardous waste events!!! I know it sounds strange but it's such a relief loading up the car and having them take responsibility for properly disposing of all the stuff that you can't dump or donate yourself.

I'm talking long fluorescent light tubes, old motor oil and lighter fluid, oil-based house paints, old cans of oil-based deck stain, old antifreeze, muriatic acid we used to use on the toilets, the list goes on... My dad had even saved a box of vinyl plastic asbestos floor tiles that I guess the original owner of the house had left behind.

I think it took two of these events before we cleared out all the hazardous stuff we don't use because we kept finding more stuff after the first event.

I also love electronics recycling events where you can take old computer monitors, printers, etc. For the past few years though our garbage/recycling provider has partnered with an organization so we can put out electronic recycling/waste at the curb with the first garbage pickup of each month. So now things go out more gradually as they die or get replaced vs. having to store them in a certain area of the house/garage and wait until there's enough to make a trip to the electronics recycling place worthwhile.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-21, 09:13 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
... long fluorescent light tubes...

Argh!! I knew I forgot something. I've got some old bulbs that have been sitting their waiting for maybe a decade. Just never knew what to do with them. I guess if they died more frequently I'd know how/where to dispose of them.

Now I'm committed to finding out so I can get the garage actually CLEAN.

I'm so relieved. Dad seems to have just packed up EVERYTHING he owned every time he moved. Some of that stuff must have been sixty years old, because I know he hadn't painted with oils in a long, long time.
Old 05-15-21, 10:16 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I did it! I did it!!!

After years of putting off the chore of getting some hazardous waste out of the garage, I took a bunch of stuff to the yearly event at a local mall parking lot. The event got canceled last year and the line was HUGE. I got there about 9:15 and didn't get unloaded and out of there for an hour and a half.

Most people seemed pretty patient, but a few were kind irate about the delay.

So glad to have that stuff out of the house. I think my dad bought a new jug of charcoal lighter fluid every time he used the grill, LOL!!!
DH was there today too. The last few years it has always been scheduled on a weekend that he works and last year it was canceled so it has been a while since he has been able to go and drop stuff off. He was there for a couple of hours before he finally got finished.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-21, 06:10 AM  
DCW

What do you do with family china, glassware, punchbowls, candy dishes, etc.? Most were given to me.

At this stage, I don't want it or use it. DD is the same when I offer it to her.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-21, 07:29 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
What do you do with family china, glassware, punchbowls, candy dishes, etc.? Most were given to me.

At this stage, I don't want it or use it. DD is the same when I offer it to her.
Antique shops will take them. At least in my area they do. 20-30 years ago you could sell this stuff at flea markets or on consignment but nobody wants old stuff anymore. Also check with estate sale businesses.

I am going to look into the hazardous waste disposal. We used to have electronic disposal once per month but that has stopped and I am not sure why. The ok’d large TV sets just get dumped everywhere because no one will take them.
Old 05-16-21, 07:23 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I did not end up buying the book. I can get it through the library-our county library is now on a system that allows residents to borrow from several neighboring counties. So I can look before I buy.

I tried on some hiking pants and skorts I haven't worn in ages. Most of them either don't fit or are unflattering so they are in the new donate pile. I will soon be doing the change of seasons clothing switch so I suspect there will be more going out the door.
Yesterday DH out of nowhere went through his side of the basement and filled 3 large bags of stuff to throw out. He has a few things set aside to offer to DS and claims he is not done. Looking at the area it is obvious he is not done but I didn't want to be snarky so I just praised him for getting started.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-21, 08:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:

all of the thrift stores in my city take these and sell them in their stores.

there is a sentimental element with those types of dishes - therefore i understand your hesitance. however, there are people who look for these types of things in stores, and who knows, it will give these items a new life.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-21, 10:31 PM  
DCW

I am going to offer the items to my cousins who may not have any mementos of our grandparents.

What they don't want.....

Out to donate.

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 05-17-21, 06:07 PM  
DCW

I was in Costco, again. Walking out I saw a lady with the yoga mat I am avoiding to buy. I thought "She has my mat!!!" I almost turned around to see if any where left to buy!!

I am so weak!!! 😂

I made it home, mat-less.
Whew. Close call.
Old 05-17-21, 07:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
I was in Costco, again. Walking out I saw a lady with the yoga mat I am avoiding to buy. I thought "She has my mat!!!" I almost turned around to see if any where left to buy!!

I am so weak!!! 😂

I made it home, mat-less.
Whew. Close call.
Way to go!!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter