Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-21, 08:19 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I haven't read King's Later yet; sad to hear that the ending is disappointing. I do fin that many books tend to leave me with a bit of a letdown in the end.

I stopped at a small local library book sale today and walked away with 7 books in about 15 minutes - for $5.75! Here's what I got:
The Restaurant by Pamela Kelley - don't know this author but tend to pick up books about 3 sisters since I am one of 3
Simple Genius by David Baldacci - the next book in the King/Maxwell series
Dublin 4 by Maeve Binchy - short stories by her that I didn't know existed (I've read all of her novels)
Untraceable by Laura Griffin - sounded like a good thriller similar to Tami Hoag (does anyone else read her?)

And in non-fiction:
My Reading Life by Pat Conroy - The Prince of Tides was one of my favorite books back in the day, and I thought I'd enjoy this book about reading
Gratitude by Oliver Saks - another book I'd never heard of from an author I like
You are Doing a Freaking Great Job - little gift-type book to keep in my office

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-21, 08:32 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Last week I read The Happiest Girl in the World by Alena Dillon. I was really looking forward to it as I loved Mercy House but this book wasn't as good in my opinion. It's about a young gymnast trying to get to the Olympics. While I appreciate the research the author most likely had to do to describe all the routines the girl did I kind of got bored.

Yesterday I finished Just My Luck by Adele Parks which is about a family that won the lottery. It was OK. I didn't like any of the characters.

Maybe it's just me and I'm being hard to please lately.
Annette, I am reading "The Happiest Girl in the World" right now. I have not formed an opinion yet. I either really like or dislike Adele Parks' books. I have not really the one you mentioned yet.

I finished Cathy Kelly's new book "Other Women" and enjoyed it. It will not be released here until June,but I bought it from a vendor on abebooks.com

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-21, 09:22 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
... And in non-fiction: ... Gratitude by Oliver Saks - another book I'd never heard of from an author I like ...
I really like Gratitude, but then again, I think I've enjoyed all his books I've read. His memoir was thought provoking.
Old 05-16-21, 07:23 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Untraceable by Laura Griffin - sounded like a good thriller similar to Tami Hoag (does anyone else read her?)
I've read most of Tami Hoag's books. She lost me during the Oak Knoll series. I got tired of the grimness in the third book. But mostly, I've really liked her books. Your comment above encouraged me to go check out her more recent books to see what I might have missed.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-21, 08:50 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I really like Gratitude, but then again, I think I've enjoyed all his books I've read. His memoir was thought provoking.
Anna, I enjoyed his memoir too, although it's been awhile now and I don't recall the specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I've read most of Tami Hoag's books. She lost me during the Oak Knoll series.
Laura, I haven't read that series - her books can definitely be grim though! I don't know how many she has but I haven't read a lot of hers, maybe around 3-5 books?

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-16-21, 09:39 AM  
sherry7899

Laura, "Designer Genes" was the first Emma Hannigan book I bought way back when...very sadly she passed away a few years ago after battling cancer multiple times.

Beth, I am envious that your library is having book sales. Ours isn't even open to the public and they are not taking book donations either. I wonder if that will change at any time soon. I can understand why, though. How do you sanitize a place where people constantly touch everything?

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-21, 10:11 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, my own town is very small and the library doesn't have sales; the sale I went to on Friday was in the next town over, although it's the same county system. Instead of the big sale that they generally do twice a year, they have been doing "mini" sales this spring where they limit how many people come in and have the books spread further apart.

RE sanitation, no, you can't constantly sanitize the books/other surfaces. To me it's like going to the grocery store or any other store where multiple people are touch the objects in the store.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-16-21, 10:51 AM  
Sissy B

Our library is open, but you aren't supposed to touch any items that you aren't planning to check out and if you do touch something you don't end up checking out they have a cart for you to put it on. You also have to return items through the drop box outside. Once items are returned, along with the items on the carts, they go in to a decontamination room for 3 days before they are checked back in and put back into the system. And they are not accepting book donations right now.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-21, 11:05 AM  
Carol K

Our library has been open since last spring, but we also have to return books in the outside drop box and they actually installed a machine where you can check out books yourself, although you are not required to use it.
Old 05-16-21, 03:39 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Our library is also still doing the external drop box/book quarantine thing, and I notice that the staff are all wearing gloves too. That seems a bit over-the-top to me, but I'm just glad the libraries are open, so I'm willing to follow whatever rules they think they need.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading