Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-21, 03:17 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I just finished Hour Game by David Baldacci, the second book in his King & Maxwell series. His thrillers are pretty fantastical, but I do enjoy them.
I really like the King & Maxwell Series. His Atlee Pine series is good too, although I didn't love the 3rd book.

I finally got around to reading The Alice Network and loved it.

I have Pam Jenoff's Woman with the Blue Star on hold.

I started reading The Girl Beneath the Sea by Andrew Mayne yesterday and so far, so good.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 03:31 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Linda, I am always reluctant to get started on a new series but fell into this one. I like his Will Robie series too.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 06:47 PM  
difit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
I really like the King & Maxwell Series. His Atlee Pine series is good too, although I didn't love the 3rd book.
Another fan of these series

Quote:
Linda, I am always reluctant to get started on a new series but fell into this one. I like his Will Robie series too.
I like this series too.

I also enjoyed John Puller series and The Camel Club series.

I'm still not sure about his new series Aloysius Archer. I have the 2nd book The Gambling Man on hold at the library. It just came out last month.
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 07:24 PM  
Bluebelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by difit View Post
Another fan of these series

I like this series too.

I also enjoyed John Puller series and The Camel Club series.

I'm still not sure about his new series Aloysius Archer. I have the 2nd book The Gambling Man on hold at the library. It just came out last month.

And one more fan of the King & Maxwell series. It was also TV series for awhile. I like all of his series but agree with Difit on the Archer series. Have just read the first one so far. It's a bit different from his other series.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 07:53 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post
And one more fan of the King & Maxwell series. It was also TV series for awhile. I like all of his series but agree with Difit on the Archer series. Have just read the first one so far. It's a bit different from his other series.
I just looked it up. Rebecca Romijn as Maxwell? Yeah, I don't buy that at all.

Speaking of which, has anyone read Baldacci's One Summer? That was just truly awful, so syrup and unbelievable (and I'm saying this as a fan of Hallmark Christmas movies!).

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-12-21, 09:22 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I read Unwinding Anxiety by Judson Brewer, M.D, PhD. This book has a lot of good information and research, most of which I already knew. The techniques recommended such as Mindful Meditation and Loving Kindness Meditation have never reduced my anxiety so it wasn't helpful to me but it might be helpful to others.

Right now I'm reading The Book of Joy by Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Douglas Abrams
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 09:32 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I hope you like The Book of Joy! I read something yesterday about meditation from Jay Michaelson that you might find helpful (or not, LOL):
Quote:
Now, for many people, meditation is precisely about changing your mood. You start out stressed, you end up relaxed. And that’s fine; it works for that purpose.
But that is really only the side-dish of meditation. The main course is relating to whatever moods arise, pleasant or unpleasant, with an attitude of acceptance, equanimity, awareness and self-compassion.
I am on the verge of finishing Awakening the Buddhist Heart by Surya Das. My next non-fiction book I plan to start (just got it from the library) is Dear White Women, It's Not You, It's Me, I'm Breaking Up with You. I started a new fiction book yesterday, the 4th book in the Mr & Mrs Darcy series, The Matters at Mansfield.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-12-21, 09:43 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post

Right now I'm reading The Book of Joy by Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Douglas Abrams
Quote:
Paine, I hope you like The Book of Joy! .
I LOVED The Book of Joy. I'm pretty sure Toaster/Beth recommended it to me and I put off reading it for a while because I thought it wasn't going to be for me, but I found it very meaningful to me. Paine, I hope you like it, too!

I'm finishing Love, Lucy right now - Lucille Ball's autobiography that was found after she died. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but I am really enjoying it. The Paris Library will be next.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 09:50 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Erica, I think I did recommend The Book of Joy after reading it for a reading group in December. Love, Lucy sounds great - I think that's something my mom would like as well.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-12-21, 10:12 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I've been making my way through the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy. I read the first book a few years ago but not the others. They're good -- though not as good as the original, i think.
Finished the trilogy, and followed that with Sex & Vanity (which is a standalone novel by Kevin Kwan but does mention -in passing- characters from the Crazy Rich Asians world.

All in all, good fluffy reads.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading