Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-21, 08:56 PM  
Jeanne

You have to get a lens with focal power. They remove the lens in your eye that focuses.
If they replaced it with clear lens you couldn't see at all. So you have to decide near or far (or the multi - which might be improved since I had my surgery) Or you can get one eye near and the other one far - I know someone who did this but I couldn't tolerate that.
Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 05:38 AM  
goldengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
You have to get a lens with focal power. They remove the lens in your eye that focuses.
If they replaced it with clear lens you couldn't see at all. So you have to decide near or far (or the multi - which might be improved since I had my surgery) Or you can get one eye near and the other one far - I know someone who did this but I couldn't tolerate that.
My left eye is near and my right eye is far. I don't need glasses for reading or distance. My husband no longer needs glasses for distance but is blind for reading or anything close. He is constantly reaching for his reading glasses.
My operations were 2 years apart and my doctor suggested a different type of lens for the right eye but I decided to stay with my original decision. I have no regrets.

Diane
goldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 06:10 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

My hubby has multi-focal and loves them. I'm jealous. I couldn't get them because I've have Lasik in the past. He doesn't even have to wear reading glasses at all. Well worth the price!

I have monovision (one seeing near and one far), but than means I can't see perfectly near or far. Well enough not to need glasses, but I still often wear reading and distance glasses to see optimally. Plus, I could only do it that way because my contacts and glasses were monovision for years. Otherwise, you run the risk of your brain not adapting to that way of seeing and now you've gone and done it permanently.

If you have the option, I'd go for multi-focal for sure.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 06:49 AM  
Cher

Thanks for posting this. I’m getting cataract surgery on my right eye May 17 and my left eye on May 28. I was really debating whether to get the multi-focal lens or not.

I have mono-vision contact lenses and have had them for about 5 years. (One eye for near and one eye for distance). They suggested that for me instead. I ended up scheduling another appointment to talk to my doctor about it more because I debated if multifocal would just be better. They said since my contacts are mono vision that i would be happier with that than the multifocal. He didn’t really recommend multifocal at least for me. They are making my right eye for distance and my left eye for near which is the opposite of what I have now with my contacts; which was why I was concerned about getting the mono vision lenses. You usually do your dominate eye for distance. My contacts were opposite because my eyes are so bad that my eye doctor had made my right eye near so that I could get a prescription for a contact still because your prescription is lower for near. He assured me I would be happier with my right eye for distance because that is still my dominant eye.

Bazar - They can either do cataract surgery manually or with a laser. (Insurance covers manual not laser and It’s a different laser surgery than LASIK too but still very expensive). As of now, I’m paying extra for them to do the cataract surgery with a laser instead of manual and it’s still costing me $1700 PER EYE and that’s with my insurance covering everything else involved. It’s crazy. But, since my prescription is so bad for distance, they said the laser is a safer option for me since it will soften the cataract for easier removal and will correct my stigmatism. I’m 58, so young for cataracts and decided the extra expensive of the laser is worth it to have my stigmatism corrected and safer for my bad eyes.

Diane - I’m happy to hear you have the mono vision like I’m getting and you have no regrets!

Now if I can just past the creepiness of being awake but “comfortable” for the actual surgery.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 07:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Cher - yeah, that "awake but comfortable" is BS if you ask me. Knock me out! Better for all the staff in the room!

I think they need our feedback though. For my first implant the doctor was asking me if I saw a white light yet.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 01:42 PM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Cher - yeah, that "awake but comfortable" is BS if you ask me. Knock me out! Better for all the staff in the room!

I think they need our feedback though. For my first implant the doctor was asking me if I saw a white light yet.
That’s what they told me when I asked....the doctor might need my feedback.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 10:26 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
... Do you have a multi-focal lens, and do you like it? The technician mentioned there is a likelihood of developing a halo that will go away with time.
I just had a multi-focal lens implanted last Thursday. I had done a lot of research and felt that the pros would outweigh the cons for me personally.

It is still way too early to tell how the outcome will be. I'm having a side effect that I was not expecting. The lens feels somewhat loose in my eye. It jiggles like it is on top of a bowl of jello. I can see it jiggle when I look in my magnifying mirror and DH sees it, too.

I spoke to my doctor about it on the next day follow-up. He said it is normal and will go away.

I have the surgery for the second eye scheduled in a couple of weeks. I will have to postpone if I still have this rather disconcerting side effect.

I don't want two jiggling eyes!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 07:34 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Following because I feel like this will be me in a few years. I don't have cataracts but a family history, and I have borderline glaucoma, am both near and farsighted, and on my last driver's license renewal I was shocked at how I had to squint REALLY hard through the eye test. I have amblyopia in one eye that seems to be getting actively worse, and I currently make do with reading glasses (at increasing power) over contacts, but it's getting kind of bad. Curious about the lens implant surgery. I didn't even know that was a thing! I thought the best you could get was lasik to get the eye itself to better power.
Kat, I have had lens implant surgery. IT IS THE BOMB.

This is different than if you have cataracts. They put what is in essence a permanent contact lens in front of your own existing lens in your eye. I had it done in 2013 and it was worth every penny.

THey do something similar when you have cataracts, except they actually remove your existing natural lens, which has become cloudy, and replace it with what is in essence a permanent contact.

At the time that I had my lens implants done, it was a three surgery operation. I had a preparatory surgery in which 18 lasered cuts were made in each iris. Then I had the first implant done, and 6 weeks later the second one. It was quite a process but worth every minute.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataracts