Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-27-21, 05:52 PM  
fanofladyvols

Kim I think you're the only one who caught the Queen reference

manley GREAT idea to bump it up gradually. That's hilarious you forgot how to work the dvd player

horusosiris we are doing the updated one from April 2021. But I know I am deviating some bc I don't have all the workouts in it and I want to continue to swing my bell!

ChelePA, bee (and others)..I hope I did imagine the bloopers cuz maybe I was more tired than I realized?

kittybug hang in there girlie!

Today was kettlebell lower body and Day 9 of the PPS challenge. I will do a yoga zone later.

Fist bumps to cataddict ( you ok? ), lavna, and Garrie!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 08:50 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi Watulans!

Dang, time just flies! So I got my ultrasound on Saturday and no clot!! Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers---obviously they helped. bee, thanks so much for sharing your experience---it helped so much. When the tech was finished, I said "I guess if there was anything really bad you wouldn't let me leave, right?" and she laughed and said "that's right." So I knew right then that all was okay, so THANKS. The meds had cleared up the inflammation and the upset stomach pretty much passed after the first day. I walked over the weekend, deciding to start back up on my "regular" workouts on Monday.

Monday I did the Heather one hour no repeat HiiT as recommended by Chele, and yes, I definitely enjoyed it! As mentioned, it was similar in set up to Power Hour but varied enough that it didn't seem like the same workout. Today I took a look at the Rock Bottoms rotation and I'm gonna give it a go, with some variation on days since I know Hair Max is next Tuesday and I started a day later. So I did the high impact HiiT (AKA Burpee Blast) followed by the lunges. I used my 8 pound weighted vest and held 8 lb weights too since I didn't feel it would be enough of a challenge with just one or the other. I also did 50 on each side, as Cathe seems to count that way--meaning a lunge on the right and a lunge on the left is one rep. Guess I'll find out if it was a good idea to do it that way if my butt and legs are barking tomorrow and/or Thursday! I finished with the Extended Stretch from Perfect 30. It looks like the updated Rock Bottoms has shorter workouts (meaning under an hour) and that suits me fine as I will make them an hour on my own.

FOLV, I got the Queen reference. I sing my version of the song, called "Fat Bottomed Cat" to our youngest who definitely has some junk in his trunk. I didn't notice any bloopers in the workout today, but it could be I just "corrected" them in my head.

manley, I have several remotes since some of the components aren't compatible with one another so I can't program a universal remote that covers everything. I constantly reach for the wrong one! I also liked Cathe Live #148! And I second bee's comments regarding DB. I don't think it can really be slowed down, and some of the workouts in the series are hard to follow since they move so fast.

Chele and manley, congratulations on finishing the Heather rotation!! I also appreciate your comments about the various workouts--I've enjoyed the ones I've done even though I can't see myself doing an entire rotation of Heather. I do get over saturated with the IHeart radio music but I like it in small doses. I will definitely continue doing her workouts in the future.

horusosiris, I frequently either skip the abs segment or just not focus on the work as much if it's at the end. It's one reason I liked the Heather one hour workouts---she interspersed ab work amidst the cardio and other weight work.

Kim, I haven't watched the Hemingway show yet but thanks for the heads up on the hunting/fishing focus. I knew he was big into fishing ("Old Man and the Sea" was required reading in school) but didn't realize he was a hunter as well. I would find that part of the program disturbing as well.

FN1 , hang in there, girl! I find that when I am super busy it can be more stressful to try to keep up with a specific rotation so I just do what I feel like. ITA that Pyramid Upper Body never gets easier! It's one of my all time favorite upper body workouts!

Waves to Nathalie Kate and Garrie!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 07:51 AM  
horusosiris

Happy Wednesday to All.

Today was Cathe- Perfect Pump - Upper Body. It is a good heavy weight workout that is done in 31 minutes but the stretch segment did not seem long enough. I finished up with some pull ups and kettlebell high pulls. I also did a Cathe AB segment. I put all of Cathe's AB segments on one DVD so if the workout does not have an AB segment, I just do one of Cathe's. I also did extra upper body stretching.

Kim and Cataddict- Yes, the hunting and fishing sections are a bit much at times. I have read just about everything he has written. The Sun Also Rises, For Whom The Bell Tolls and A Farewell to Arms are my favorites. His life was full of pathos (and grandeur) and it came to a tragic end.

Cataddict- I am glad you are doing better.

Linda- Which Cathe's are you missing in the rotation?

Have a great day!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 08:00 AM  
ChelePA

Cataddict...awesome news!!! Such a relief to know nothing serious! And good for you for stepping it up a notch with the added weight for the Cathe bonus. I guess I cheated since I did a total of 50 unlike all you ladies

Kim...so nice to see you joining in on some of the rotation workouts. I really need to check out that one with all the rave reviews. Today the presale goes up so we'll see... And the weather has been gorgeous. Loving it!!!

Kittybug...you sound crazy busy. I am always impressed that you never miss a workout despite all of it. And you have done several of the same workouts in this rotation.

Bee, Nathalie, and Horusosiris...all enablers...haha. I like that minimal equipment is required. I think I'm talking myself into buying it.

Fanofladyvols...I love your creativity with quotes, phrases, songs etc. Puts a smile on my face.

So glad today was upper body in the rotation. My legs are tired. Perfect Pump Upper plus I added on Bonus Core. I really like the unique moves that hits all areas of the core. Plus she goes at a nice pace that I can use correct form.

I am headed to a hair appointment. I have a question but will finish this post later so I am not late.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 08:40 AM  
fanofladyvols

ChelePA enjoy your hair appt.. glad you appreciate my goofy

horusosiris I am missing any LITE, ICE or no series name workouts and a couple of the Strong and Sweaty...so that's when you'll see me plug in Tracie and kettlebells.

cataddict your report was a relief to read. Did you get guidance on how to rehab it? Your story of singing to your cat cracked me up! And you guys know I punish..uh...treat my poor Minnie to my tone deaf singing concerts...dontcha? Bless her...she even retracts her ears (which my husband is quick to point out )!

I'll edit this with the Intermediate viewpoint of Perfect pump upper

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 04-28-21, 08:52 AM  
ChelePA

So here’s my question... how active is your family? My husband was a tennis player until he threw his back out several years ago. Tried to return to the sport but just too worried about reinjuring. It comes and goes. Last night I asked if he wanted to take Winston for a walk. Usually it’s my daughter and I since he works crazy hours. Winston walks at a quick pace and so do I. My husband was originally holding the leash and I thought we were on a Sunday stroll Winston was crazy pulling so I took the leash and asked if we could walk faster. He couldn’t keep pace. We have lots of hills in our neighborhood. We often were waiting for him to catch up or looping back around. He’s like this isn’t a walk. Haha. But seriously, it concerned me that he’s gotten so out of shape. I loved playing tennis with him. I was so sad when that stopped. Hoping more and more walking as the weather gets nicer will get him back in action. Any recommendations???
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 09:40 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey all. Oh, cataddict, I'm glad to hear it was good news! And, I'm so happy my story was a help to you. After I typed it all out I thought it might just be annoying. I hope your leg is feeling better these days (but might not be with the Rock Bottom rotation ). Oh, and I got the Queen reference but forgot to mention it!! Good one!

Today was Ramped Up Upper Body. And yes, the other day I also had to refresh my memory on VCR usage, manleym! That is one solid workout -- that's a good series (that I didn't preorder but managed to acquire I think all of the workouts). You're right horusosiris, the stretch was a little skimpy so I added on more. I've actually most days been adding on about ten minutes of my own stretching. Phew, my upper body is fried!! I had to refill the dog food container after and wasn't sure I could lift the 35 pound bag. But I did.

Chele, my husband is very unfit. He used to make fun of me doing workouts and he said he liked "functional working" -- spitting wood, etc. Except the thing is, over the years he did less and less of that. He has something with his feet that no one has been able to diagnose, so that makes it even worse. He sits so much of the day, just on the computer. It's awful. So, unfortunately I have no advice for you. My husband occasionally rides the e-bike (and tries not to use much assistance), and once in a while hops on the stationary bike because he knows he's so out of shape, but none of that is regular activity. Would your husband enjoy your new bike at all (or is it too hard to reset the settings to fit each of you?). Just a thought. Or maybe "make" him walk Winston more often, on his own, and even though he's going slower, he would be out there and over time maybe he'd increase the pace?

Have to run...... waves to all! I'm happy a bunch of us are doing the rotation together! Oh, and happy to see the presale starts today!
Old 04-28-21, 10:02 AM  
fanofladyvols

ChelePA I'm the driving force in the exercise and movement that occurs at our home. I look for ways for it to be enjoyable. I wasn't always that way, unfortunately.

When we met he used to run and lift weights regularly. I thought exercise was important to him. But maybe it was all about getting the girl? Over time he succumbed to all sorts of health issues and inactivity accelerated it all. (His family is/was all inactive.) My husband for years pretended that he was looking at trees and birds on our walks. I will tell you it was pretty ugly for awhile as I got pretty irritated at the slow pace. One thing he said one time not too long ago did impact me though. He said we weren't enjoying the walk. Ok you know, he was right. I was too busy being worried about his health. I knew what he needed and it was pissing me off he was always refusing to do it. And WE weren't enjoying those walks. SO, I recently lowered the pace, participated in what he was enjoying...and we have eventually picked up the pace. The true change came when he asked for help and started coming in when I exercised to work out too. He is
back to weightlifting and doing mobility. It has helped with his pain management. I let him pick out his music and we talk about it while he works out.

There's no guarantee how long we have with each other so I accept the movement I can get from my family and enjoy the time.

I think the more you can get your husband out there the greater the chance he will be able to get some strength and confidence in the strength in his back. I was diagnosed with two bulging discs several years ago and I have scoliosis so rehab is possible! Just takes a long time and awareness of the things possible
bee my husband used to be a real turd about my workouts and working out. He used to call what I was doing "flopping around." :‑X

P.S. Now I have to work on getting over sharing the Shred Shed with him... hahaha. I'm so awful

Old 04-28-21, 06:48 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Fanofladyvols...I love your creativity with quotes, phrases, songs etc. Puts a smile on my face.
ITA!!!
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 06:50 PM  
manleym

cataddict GREAT report! So very happy for you! I know you are RELIEVED!! I'm glad I'm not the only one has remote usage issues. Sounds like quite a few of us do! I'm in good company! And thanks for agreeing with bee about DB. I think I'd rather use my $$$ elsewhere. Cathe's new dvds perhaps? Glad you liked Heather's workouts, and I'm like you - kinda over the IHeart radio music. I didn't even know that's what it was called.

bee did you do Ramped Upper from Strong & Sweaty? Curious because Perfect 30 Upper Body was today's workout and it does have a super short stretch. I'm still adding in yoga to get stretched out and open up my body. Mainly 5 Parks from YouTube. It makes a huge difference in my recovery and not feeling so stiff. And yay you for being able to lift a 35 lb bag! When Cathe's lifting her 35 lb weights you can just grab the bag. HA!

chelepa, my hubby's activity level...he is fairly active but I have alot more stamina than he does. So if we're doing yard work, hiking/walking, he tires out (wants to stop) faster/sooner than I do. When we moved into our house we went to the gym together and would lift weights/run on the dreadmill. We did that for awhile but then stopped. Can't remember the exact reason though. I still went regularly to the gym, he went when he felt like it - not super consistent, but a good week would have been 2-3 times. I've offered my dvd collection (including male instructors) but he's not interested. However, he LOVES training karate so that is his exercise. He is a 2nd degree black belt in both Isshin-ryu and Shorin-ryu karate. He earned one style while in grad school. He was in SUPER great shape then (I didn't know him) because he trained all the time and was in his 20's. While in grad school he taught self-defense classes for women, and a few other physed related courses. Once he started adulting karate training was set aside so he wasn't active for a long time, other than playing golf. He used to play alot of golf. He started training karate again years ago and would go when he felt like it - sometimes 3 times a week, sometimes none. When COVID hit, he didn't go at all, but then started going 2-3 times a week in the morning. Since he returned to the office, he's been going to the evening classes again. And he teaches some of the evening classes, which he really likes but it doesn't always give him a good workout since he's focused on instructing. So right now he trains karate about 4-5 times a week. He likes being back so I think he'll be consistent for awhile. Now before ya'll start thinking, "Man, Mr. Manley must be Man-ly!" that's the ONLY exercise he likes and will do. He's heavier than he's ever been so he recently cut out junk (sodas, candy, etc) to lose some weight and feel better overall. I think it's helped. The rest of our families are very unfit. No one else from either of our families exercises regularly.

I think regular walks is a good place to start. Then once he feels better, maybe he'll want to do more.

Opps! Got lost in my post and lost track of time! Will be back later to post workouts.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in