Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-22, 08:29 AM  
pfhanna

Noom or Weight Watchers?

I must get serious about losing some weight. Not just for my looks but health. I am curious about Noom, which I have a promo code for, buy 3 months, get 3 free, or Weight Watchers? I don't know of anyone who has tried Noom? I have seen their tv ads and that's it? Thanks for any thoughts, or suggestions.

Pam
Old 03-28-22, 11:20 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

WW all the way for me.
Old 03-28-22, 11:59 AM  
jusca

I did the free Noom trial. I canceled after 2 days. It was too much reading, listening to audio tracks, and quizzes everyday on an app. I don't use apps in general like that in my daily routine so that was a burden for me. Overall, it's basically cbt with actionable steps for weight loss. All the reading took too long to get to the point and the emails were so annoying. I knew what I need was a meal plan and prep to help my weight loss. I didn't want to dedicate time to cbt when I knew exactly what keeps me in line with my goals: meal preparation. It made me realize I wasn't struggling with the psychology of eating. I was basically underprepared with healthy foods I like being cooked in bulk and portioned therefore leading me to grab something quick and usually high calorie on days when I had no food prepared at home. Also, I think the exercise and meal plans were an extra cost. I didn't remember being able to access them.

I've never used WW but i have used their recipes. That program appeals more to me if I were to choose between the two. The less I have to look at a device, the better for me. Good ole straight forward plans on paper and posted on a wall where I can see it everyday is best for me.
Old 03-28-22, 02:05 PM  
BunnyHop

James Fell (Former fitness writer, turned sweary historian) has recommended Balance 365 more than once.

Thought I'd mention it, because I've given it a look, and some consideration.

OTOH, it's not cheap, but I am, so ... .

My sister is currently doing Noom with success. She also does Flylady, and has for years, if that helps you understand her tolerance level for computer assisted helpfulness.
It isn't for me, because the whole thing sounds confusing and annoying, with weird restrictions and rules that my brain can't make sense of.

Weight Watchers isn't for me either, because I just don't jive with support groups or marketing schemes, and it seems to me that WW is both.
OTOH, I've known plenty of people who do get on with it quite well, and have for years. It's also true that I still hold a grudge against them because way back when they wouldn't let you join if you weren't heavy enough, which is counter productive on so many levels. I knew more than one person who could have used their help that was turned away. Ick. They've changed that policy, I think, which is a good thing.

On the free and therefore inherently cheap end of the spectrum, there's Pahla B's program. It sounds to me as though her basic idea is sound, but she talks too much for me, so I don't listen to her as often as I should. I do listen to episodes of her podcast from time to time, and have found it helpful.

The only 'program' that worked for me was portion control, meals not snacks. Plenty of fiber and protein, regular meals with fruits and veggies playing a major role. No snacking, and lots of water. That ultra control freak Bright Line Eating program got me started with it a good while ago, and I did lose weight and keep it off for a good long time. Guess I need to revisit my old notes, because whatever bits I cobbled together seemed to help me.

For me, it's basically true that nutritious meals are the only real key. Portion control helps keep me from overloading my plate.
Old 03-28-22, 02:25 PM  
Lori_Michigan

*I deleted, sorry

Last edited by Lori_Michigan; 03-30-22 at 09:01 AM. Reason: off topic
Old 03-28-22, 03:37 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Delete.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 03-28-22, 04:40 PM  
pfhanna

Thanks for your replys. I am going to check out Whole 30. I have never heard of this before and sounds like something I could try. Thank you Jackie!!! Thanks for all the other ideas, suggestions. Much appreciated.

Pam
Old 03-28-22, 04:42 PM  
Lori_Michigan

*I deleted, sorry

Last edited by Lori_Michigan; 03-30-22 at 09:01 AM. Reason: off topic
Old 03-28-22, 05:14 PM  
rhbrand

Stay away from Noom. I fell for it and well, I find it worthless. Listen to a bunch of hoo haa and do a "quiz'

I was looking for more "here's why you eat this way, binge, etc " and got more "eat on smaller plates" which can we all say we've all heard that if we've dieted ever.

I had success with WW years ago, but they have changed the program about 4 times since then so I have no idea with the newest program.

I'm having more success loosely tracking my macros. Seems to work for me.
Old 03-28-22, 05:44 PM  
pfhanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Stay away from Noom. I fell for it and well, I find it worthless. Listen to a bunch of hoo haa and do a "quiz'

I was looking for more "here's why you eat this way, binge, etc " and got more "eat on smaller plates" which can we all say we've all heard that if we've dieted ever.

I had success with WW years ago, but they have changed the program about 4 times since then so I have no idea with the newest program.

I'm having more success loosely tracking my macros. Seems to work for me.
Thanks for the reply. You guys are saving me some money. Noom is around $59.00 a month. They offered me buy 3 months, get 3 free. I am glad I posted this question.

Thank you,
Pam

Tags
diet, noom, weight watchers, whole 30