Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-05-22, 04:46 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

How Do YOU Counteract the Desire to Hibernate This Time of Year?

This time of year, I just want to hunker down and not move around much and I don't even live in a place that is all that cold or snowy. Have you found ways to counteract the natural tendency this time of year to hibernate and not move around much? Do tell!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-22, 04:49 PM  
Gams

I don’t
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-22, 05:00 PM  
DCW

I walk so I can get some daylight. Wednesday I heard the birds singing. So spring is on its way. I also look for birds in my neighborhood. I have spotted bluebirds, small woodpeckers, a large woodpecker and a red tail hawk. In the past I have seen an eagle, wild turkeys, not too many crows which is a change. I think for the first time I heard coyotes.
I guess I have become a bird and nature watcher!!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-22, 05:00 PM  
Izzy

I am in a cold Midwest state. I continue to walk outside as much as I can. I just bungle up good. Shoveling snow helps too. But on weekends I try to tackle chores like cleaning closets, organizing drawers and cabinets all the things I don’t want to do when it’s nice out and I can be outside. So winter months I am decluttering, organizing etc. I do find myself watch more tv or reading but I rather move around and stay active. I have thought about painting a room but not sure I will tackle that.
Old 02-05-22, 05:51 PM  
bubbles76

Haha Gams! I actually have the opposite effect - winter makes me wake up and want to do more. I hate the summer and that's when I tend to want to hibernate.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-22, 06:28 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I am in a cold Midwest state. I continue to walk outside as much as I can. I just bungle up good. Shoveling snow helps too. But on weekends I try to tackle chores like cleaning closets, organizing drawers and cabinets all the things I don’t want to do when it’s nice out and I can be outside. So winter months I am decluttering, organizing etc. I do find myself watch more tv or reading but I rather move around and stay active. I have thought about painting a room but not sure I will tackle that.
Same! I've been doing some thorough cleaning and decluttering the past couple of months. I also want to paint my living room, but not sure I'm up for that big of a task. I walk my dogs most every day, even when it is freezing out and the fresh air and sun definitely lifts my spirits. I've been trying new recipes, too. I put on some fun music and cook away. Unfortunately a lot of the new recipes I try don't end up great...but sometimes I find a real winner!
Old 02-05-22, 06:31 PM  
Vantreesta

Having a dog helps a lot! Even though I love winter it's still hard to unburrito from my blanket and bundle up for that 8 PM walk but I know he needs it and so do I. The two daytime walks aren't quite as challenging. I also like to start the morning with 30 minutes in front of my light box. And when all else fails I remind myself that I WANT to be that crazy girl out in the freezing cold bc I like being different! But I also admit, there are some nights that last walk just doesn't happen.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-22, 09:02 PM  
gigi

I definitely fight this. After a long day of teaching and a long commute, the last thing I want to do is workout. I want to be on the couch, under a blanket. It has helped me to find motivating workouts and to follow a rotation. I was in a slump for a long time. It's just something I have to fight through, especially when I'm stressed.
Old 02-05-22, 09:29 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Haha Gams! I actually have the opposite effect - winter makes me wake up and want to do more. I hate he summer and that's when I tend to want to hibernate.
Same here, I hate the heat BUT this year the cold is really getting to me. I didn't want to go walk the dog today because it was so cold. I am OK if it isn't windy because I bundle up and layer. A few weeks ago it was 12 degrees out. I usually won't go if it is below 18 or so but I went anyway and I was fine except for my face. I thought I was going to get frostbite so I went for about 2 miles instead of my normal 5.
P.S. I also need the light so that motivates me. And the dog needs walking of course.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-22, 09:35 PM  
kat999

I have a SAD lamp in every room and leave them lit pretty much all day. I also make it a point to open curtains.

Tags
cold weather, motivation, sad, seasonal disorder, winter blues