Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-31-21, 07:43 PM  
Helen

EVERY Day in January 2022 - All welcome, as always!

Welcome to the Every Day Checkin!
We are a small group who aim to do some form of physical activity every day, whatever that means for YOU
(but don't kid yourself about it either)

Who knows what this year may bring - given the surprises of the last two (roll eyes) but whatever happens, the best way to stay intact (physically AND mentally) is to exercise. Every. Day. And by "exercise" it could be walking, sweating, lifting, stretching, ... or mental exercise like mindfulness, yoga, meditation - all are valid towards your "every day" - but a mixed balance of them all is best. Come and join us to work towards doing our best - for ourselves, and those who benefit from our health and better moods.

NEWCOMERS, RETURNERS, LURKERS,... might as well say:
EVERYONE
is WELCOME!

Daily posts - not mandatory, nor even "sternly preferred" - but we love it if you do.
Weekly posts, drive-by notes, daily essays all about you.... any of those are perfectly fine - no pressure, EXCEPT to diligently try to add serious movement to your day - every day.

Lexicon:
WERD = Well Earned Rest Day, but even rest days can include movement
TERD = Totally Expected Rest Day, though not especially well-earned, like a planned happy event
TURD = Totally Unexpected Rest Day, hopefully also a happy event
HERD = of TURDS - usually declared after the THIRD TURD in a row. Try to avoid these at all costs, as they can move in & get comfortable, getting OUT of your comfort zone is the way to make change happen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-22, 08:05 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Happy 2022!!!

Helen! I hope this works. (it didn't) sooooooo I just want to say thank you for always starting the threads. You are the best. and here's to 2022.

Cleda

PS ... I get my arrow too.
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-22, 11:19 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - Once again, a fabulous start, I love the photo!
Cleda has her arrow, so we are set to start off the New Year with a bang!
Lurkers, please join us! There is nothing like a fresh start to get motivated.

1/1 - My 5K was this morning and I almost bailed on it. It's been raining since I got up today and I do NOT like running in the rain. I did it and I'm glad I did! I finished 3rd in my age group, even though my time was not great. This was my first race in over 2 years, so I'm just happy that I finished.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-22, 06:03 PM  
Helen

LILI
Wow!! What a GREAT start to the new year!! Third is fabulous! I was happy to the third-last in my age group when I did that 14km (quite) a few years ago with Caitlin.

CLEDA
I'd be devastated of you weren't back. (sniff)

Tried to jump, but the sniffles/cough are still too annoying, so began with year gently with:

Saturday, 1st Jan
2-hr walk with Alice
Meditation, via Calm App - 10min

Now - morning of the 2nd.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-01-22, 07:26 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Still on the first here

Covid is hitting everybody. I want to be a hermit. . . . until it passes. But, that can't happen, so I'll stay home when I can and stay safe.

Lili: that's awesome! I'm glad you did the run. Rain & all. Fun fact: Daphne LIKES running in the rain?!? go figure!

Helen: I will always be here to check in. Good Lord Willing and the Creeks don't rise. (maybe a bit behind but my intention is to be here .... Going on year 3 now.)

on to the most popular person of this post: me, me and ALL me.

1/1/2022: (that's the first I've written that). It was badge day. I did a 30 mins. row (Breathe - which is endurance) and got my 2022 badge. Then on to starting power zone. They posted the schedule, so I dove in. You guys know me - I never know what the future holds (electricity going out? now there's covid to worrry about!!!) so I made hay while the sun shone. I did Ben's 45 minute power zone endurance + 5 mins. post ride stretch. I did Sam Yo's 20 mins. New Year's Day recovery ride, then did Taylor Swift abs with Robin Arzon (20 mins.) So now I got my "Swiftie" badge. ha!

GREAT way to start the year!!!

Goals are in place.
One of which is to be in bed by 9 p.m. I did that all during the pandemic and it really is helpful. I don't have to be asleep, but I have to be headed to bed by 9 p.m. I don't get enough sleep (that's a FACT!) so heading up earlier has got to help. And I hope in the long run helps to keep me healthier. Being in contact with so many people (and getting so many notifications of people testing positive.) It's scary and I just want to stay healthy.

That's it for now.
Cleda
Old 01-02-22, 06:53 PM  
Helen

Good morning (Monday 3rd)
CLEDA
• I can understand the hermit desire - Omicron is rampant, and people have almost given up caring now - fewer masks indoors.
• Congrats on getting a badge on day ONE!

Yesterday
Still sniffy but went and bought some psuedoephedrine yesterday (show your driver's licence) - fixes the problem, so hoping to day to get something more done, than:

Sun 02-Jan
3 hour walk with Alice - gentle pace as it was warm and kept to shade as much as possible. After setting our direction towards down-town rather than the nearest parks, I let her choose - she knows enough to make informed decisions Up the shaded mall, to the community garden, then the beach. Good choices!

Even though that was it, made all FitBit goals.

I have Mondivation (and psuedoephidrine!) so today WILL be better.
Start of our first real week!
Have a happy one
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-02-22, 07:26 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Omicron is rampant, yet people don't seem to care! I think everyone is just tired of Covid and the restrictions. I don't have to wear a mask all day, so I really don't mind wearing one indoors, but many people have stopped.

I remember Daphne saying she liked running in the rain! I thought she was crazy then and I still do! Although, on a hot day a nice shower feels good.

1/2 - our usual dog walk and then I hiked around the reservoir, so just under 5 miles.

Old 01-03-22, 04:57 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

And then off to exercise. One must stay healthy in these trying times!

Lili & Helen: You are both right! People seem to be so covid weary. I think that's a big part of it. I have to wear a mask all day long at work and when I'm out and about. (My face is a mess because of it. Doctor visits and 2 kinds of medicine and it's still got a bad rash!!! It's been there for a month now? Their solution? Don't wear a mask. Yeah- that's not going to happen. ) Anyway ...... I cannot control the behavior of others, so I do my very best to stay safe.

AND ... eating right and exercising is a big part of that. soooooo

1/2/2022:
Andy Speer's Strength Program Week 2, workout 3 (end of week 2! YAY!) It was 10 mins. warm up, 45 mins. strength and 10 mins. stretch.

That was it! I was a bit tired and decided to go easy yesterday because (NEVER SAY NEVER) ... Don't fall over ~ I joined a StepBet. are you kidding me??? after (3 years ago) swearing I'd NEVER do one again?? Yep. I signed up for a 6 week stepbet. What on earth was I thinking???

I think Lili planted the seed that she was thinking of doing another one. So I said," Hmmm... let me just CHECK and see what my steps would be". They aren't horrible, cuz let's face it - I don't move much. Which brings me to reason #2 --- I don't move much. I do my morning workout and then I'm sedentary for most of the day which is NOT good. I am hoping that by joining a stepbet, it may get me moving (at least 1000 or so steps) at night to finish my days. The 3rd reason was a group I'm with on FB are hosting one and asked us to join .... so here I am - again, I repeat: never say never. Today is day #1 and it goes through for 6 weeks. Simultaneously (btw) with the Power Zone Challenge.

I am giving myself 6 weeks to get off the winter/Christmas weight (and may even take longer) but I need some laser focus for the next 6 weeks or so. I thought this would kick it up a notch. With my fb group, with a stepbet, with my coach, with my new journal, the next 4 weeks of strength program with Andy Speer (which I looked ahead to see HOW I'm going to work it with the Power Zone challenge? What was I thinking?) with some new year found gusto. I won't have much time to think about anything but steps, strength, cycling and that will hopefully help me in my endeavor.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! In 6 weeks ?? I can make a difference. So that's where I'm at. So look for step count to possibly be added. We'll see. Like I said - they are not crazy high, so I feel better about that. (Active day is 7,417 steps and Power days are 9,717) Told you - my step count has been LOW lately. And I forgot the first week is a WARM UP week, but we all know I won't fall short. Even if it is a warm up week.

Ok, off to get lunch ready and hop on the bike for Week 1 Ride 2 for the power zone challenge. Let my 6 weeks begin. I'll be ready for fun, different workouts come 2/14/2022 ..... when recess begins.

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Old 01-03-22, 08:23 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - Are you crazy? A Stepbet with a Power Zone Challenge? I know you can do it, though! You always follow through with your goals and challenges, and $40 is on the line!

I joined a Stepbet, also, but mine started 12/27 and I just joined on Saturday. When I join near the end of the first week I only have 5 weeks to worry about. It still feels like cheating, but I'm okay with it. It makes the last few weeks less stressful.

Old 01-03-22, 06:39 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

1/3 - Hike in the county park, 2.77 miles in the beautiful snow this morning.
Dog walk.
Unplugged 1902
10 minutes of rebounding to get my final steps.