Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-22, 06:35 AM  
donnamp

Erica - it really may depend on how strong the lemon/lime water is. Also, maybe he can infuse other flavors into the water - like cucumber or mint or apple or something like that. I think if it is dilute enough it may not be as much of an issue. Like is the water more water or more lemon/lime?

Also, drinking through a straw may help as well as rinsing his mouth with plain water after.

I did read that you shouldn't brush your teeth right after - and that makes sense to me - the acid combined with the abrasiveness of a toothbrush may just make the erosion worse.

I think I read somewhere about not brushing right after eating either b/c of the acid that is churned up from eating - but don't quote me on this - particularly since we have all been told to brush after meals, LOL!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-22, 06:52 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Erica - it really may depend on how strong the lemon/lime water is. Also, maybe he can infuse other flavors into the water - like cucumber or mint or apple or something like that. I think if it is dilute enough it may not be as much of an issue. Like is the water more water or more lemon/lime?

Also, drinking through a straw may help as well as rinsing his mouth with plain water after.

I did read that you shouldn't brush your teeth right after - and that makes sense to me - the acid combined with the abrasiveness of a toothbrush may just make the erosion worse.

I think I read somewhere about not brushing right after eating either b/c of the acid that is churned up from eating - but don't quote me on this - particularly since we have all been told to brush after meals, LOL!

Donna
Thank you.

It's very diluted so I hope it's okay. He doesn't want anything other than lemon/lime - I've tried!

I've also always heard not to brush teeth right after having something acidic.

I drink an embarrassing amount of soda and I know it's terrible for my teeth. I started using Sensodyne Pronamel toothpaste years ago and I think it's made a big difference. I've had no problems with my teeth since then and I drink soda 24/7 - even during the night. I know I shouldn't...

My dd used to get frequent cavities even though she's really careful with what she eats and drinks and her teeth have also improved significantly since using the Sensodyne Pronamel.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-22, 10:25 AM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Thank you.

It's very diluted so I hope it's okay. He doesn't want anything other than lemon/lime - I've tried!

I've also always heard not to brush teeth right after having something acidic.

I drink an embarrassing amount of soda and I know it's terrible for my teeth. I started using Sensodyne Pronamel toothpaste years ago and I think it's made a big difference. I've had no problems with my teeth since then and I drink soda 24/7 - even during the night. I know I shouldn't...

My dd used to get frequent cavities even though she's really careful with what she eats and drinks and her teeth have also improved significantly since using the Sensodyne Pronamel.

Erica
Yes! Don't brush immediately! Also, don't rinse your mouth with water after using Sensodyne. It will work much better. It took me a while to break that habit.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-22, 10:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Now I'm wondering if I did a terrible thing giving DH the infusion pitcher. He only likes using lemon/lime and it's the only way I can get him to drink more. He has to drink more to help avoid kidney stones but he already has troublesome teeth.

Erica
I ordered metal straws so the acid will bypass my teeth.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-22, 05:35 PM  
leigh1673

I've read that it is very important to drink 8-16 ounces of water pretty immediately upon waking. But it can just be plain water--the lemon isn't necessary.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 07:35 AM  
Rhonda

I tried the lemon water but it made my reflux act up and I got terrible heartburn. I lasted maybe a week. I stopped, didn't want to deal with reflux again after getting it under control.

We use Sensodyne Pronamel also as hubby was told by dentist he should use it and now that is all we use. I would like to know you shouldn't rinse afterwards. I rinse, floss, and use listerine. Should I not?
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 08:16 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post

We use Sensodyne Pronamel also as hubby was told by dentist he should use it and now that is all we use. I would like to know you shouldn't rinse afterwards. I rinse, floss, and use listerine. Should I not?
I'd like to know that too. I do the exact same as you do and feel like I've had excellent results - I don't want to change anything!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 08:23 AM  
Vantreesta

It's the same thing as with ACT or dental fluoride treatment. The fluoride is more effective if it's left on the teeth and not rinsed off.

In the morning I use Listerine then floss then brush. Later in the day I use ACT. At night I just brush, put in my retainers and go to bed.

As others pointed out, don't brush right away after juice, pop, tea or coffee bc the enamel is softer and can be damaged more easily.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 09:35 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkrtalkr View Post
I start my day with 32 oz filtered water mixed with 2 tbsps of Apple Cider Vinegar. I use this to make sure I don’t get cramps in my legs. I have ran 8 marathons and 8 half marathons and I studied cramps in legs when I got a really major one. They said to prevent cramps use mustard, pickle juice or apple cider vinegar. One thing I noticed they all had in common vinegar. I’m 65 and haven’t had cramps since.
Whoa, I may have to try that on alternate days. I get awful leg and foot cramps, too. Bananas and magnesium have not helped.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 09:44 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
It's the same thing as with ACT or dental fluoride treatment. The fluoride is more effective if it's left on the teeth and not rinsed off.

In the morning I use Listerine then floss then brush. Later in the day I use ACT. At night I just brush, put in my retainers and go to bed.

As others pointed out, don't brush right away after juice, pop, tea or coffee bc the enamel is softer and can be damaged more easily.
I use Act Restoring Mouthwash at night also. It works better for me than toothpaste, probably because I leave it on for 30 minutes according to the instructions. I just realized why it works better, I wasn’t leaving the toothpaste on for 30 minutes. I find that a bit easier to do with mouthwash. And Sensodyne seemed to affect my tastebuds, I felt like I wasn’t tasting my food as well. Although that could be in my head!

My husband was drinking a lot of lemonade recently. I told him about this thread. Fortunately, he’s not drinking as much lately.

I didn’t realize that about waiting to brush. I usually do wait, but didn’t recently when I had tooth problems. I thought I was doing the right thing, but maybe made it worse. Oh well!

Tags
dental health, lemon water, teeth