Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-22, 08:54 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

It was 15 degrees when I woke up this morning, and even though it was sunny, I have no desire to go out in those temps. I'll admit being able to work from home during COVID has made me even less interested in leaving the house in the winter, but it's important to stay active.

So, when it's cold, I spend 10 minutes in front of a sunny window each morning just to get some sun on sunny days and I go for frequent indoor walks around my house during the day so I'm still getting my steps in without having to bundle up and worry about icy sidewalks. I'm more of a warm weather person so once we get into spring, I'll be back to walking outside, but there are ways to stay active indoors and fight the hibernation tendency. The weather is going to warm up here this week into the 40s and 50s so I'll be walking outside then, but that's unusual for February. After 8pm, I do hibernate though! I watch TV or read a book.
Old 02-06-22, 09:12 AM  
Izzy

I also agree with the suggestions about sun, windows etc. a person stopped by last week and commented on how sunny my place is. It’s very small but it has a lot of windows. I only have sheer curtains and keep them open all the time. I love the light and sunlight. I also crave fresh air. No matter the temps I try to walk every day even if it’s below zero, it’s a short walk.

It’s February, and mentally I am on the upswing. After December 22 the shortest day, I start telling myself we are moving to more sunlight. This thinking really helps me. Yesterday it was still light at 5:40. That’s a whole hour than it was in November.
Old 02-06-22, 10:29 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
... It’s February, and mentally I am on the upswing. After December 22 the shortest day, I start telling myself we are moving to more sunlight. This thinking really helps me. Yesterday it was still light at 5:40. That’s a whole hour than it was in November.
This is true for me too.

My house also has windows on every side, so there's natural light galore.

In terms of general activity, I try to dress in a way that tells me it's winter. For pajamas I wear lightweight jogger type pants, and a shirt that covers my shoulders. In the day, I wear cozy clothing that can also move as I need to. Nothing that's too bulky or impractical, that kind of cozy leads to naps, which I do not want.

I try not to overheat the house (I spend all year being hot all the time, so I refuse to be too warm in winter.) so sometimes I wear a pretty scarf just for an extra layer of coziness. Good shoes and socks, or good slippers also make a world of difference. If my feet get cold I'm really uncomfortable, so I try to take care not to neglect that aspect of my wardrobe. Guess I'm just not a barefoot person.

In terms of food, I try to work at avoiding snacks, because it can be so tempting to get something snacky and lie around reading.

If I'm restless, it usually means I need to shift gears somehow, and focus on something else.
Old 02-06-22, 01:34 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

The past couple of days have been cloudy and today is sunny. I'm going to head out for a walk to get some sunshine on my brain.

Thanks for all the experiences. I may sit out on our unheated sun porch on days that the sun is out and beating down on it and warming it up.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-22, 04:00 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I don’t
This was exactly my first reaction! I don't counteract the desire to hibernate. I indulge in it! I try to follow the rhythms of the seasons, so I actually plan for a slow-down in January & February. (I consider December a month for hibernation too but it's hard to slow-down with holiday obligations and opportunities). I've been doing this for a few years now, and learnt even more info about seasonal rhythms in Dallas Hartwig's book "The 4 Season Solution: A Groundbreaking Plan to Fight Burnout and Tap into Optimal Health". I sleep as much as I want; I "nest" - take care of my home; do workouts at home; but I will go for a short walk on days that are sunny and above 32 degrees. I love feeling refreshed in March, full of energy!
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-22, 04:35 PM  
Gams

Yep - today I snuggled on the couch under a blanket with a warm dog curled up at my chest and another curled up behind my knees while I watched The Man Who Knew too Much on DVD. I dozed a little but I’ve seen the movie several times so didn’t really miss much. Tonight I’m making French toast for dinner and will return to my spot on the couch to watch Rear Window. I did a couple Tamilee Webb workout DVDs this morning, so I did move a little. 😊
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-22, 05:51 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I have a SAD lamp in every room and leave them lit pretty much all day. I also make it a point to open curtains.
I have a SAD lamp and a light box but I don't leave them on all day. I try to site in front of the light box for 30 minutes a day in the winter but haven't been doing it lately.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-22, 11:04 PM  
rhbrand

It helps that I HAVE to go outside to take care of my horses everyday. Hubby does the morning chores and I do the afternoon/evening ones. So I go out get some fresh air, even if its below zero Fahrenheit. I do think that has helped quite a bit.
I also get my face in the sunshine every day the sun is out. Yes, with SPF 50 on, but I get my face in full on sun for a few min every time the sun is out.

And then some days, I hibernate. I do think it does a body good to hunker down and just lay under a blanket with a book, a cat and or dog, and do nothing.
Old 02-07-22, 10:15 AM  
donnamp

I'm in the camp where I actually *do* allow myself some form of hibernation during the winter.

I have come to sort of enjoy the winter more b/c of it - it is "cozy" season.

That being said, particularly with working from home, I do know I need to be more active. So I started with a daily short walk during my lunch break - even if it is only 15 min - so long as the temp is above 32 F. If it is too cold, or snowy, rainy I'm making sure I get up to do at least 15 min of activity.

When I worked in the office I would take a daily walk outdoors - unless it was absolutely terrible outside.

I have done some indoor decluttering projects as well - but I'm mostly hibernating.

I do like warm weather, but I'm totally dreading the clock change in March. Last year it did a number on me - even w/ working from home and having a freer schedule. The extra hour of daylight that came upon us so abruptly really set off feelings of anxiety and being "rev'd" up. I wish that we could do away with messing with the clock. I'm sure if given time, my body would adjust - but it literally happens overnight when we do that spring forward.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-22, 11:35 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Having a dog helps a lot! Even though I love winter it's still hard to unburrito from my blanket and bundle up for that 8 PM walk but I know he needs it and so do I. The two daytime walks aren't quite as challenging. I also like to start the morning with 30 minutes in front of my light box. And when all else fails I remind myself that I WANT to be that crazy girl out in the freezing cold bc I like being different! But I also admit, there are some nights that last walk just doesn't happen.
This! Having an active dog and living in townhouse with no fenced-in yard means that daily walks are mandatory for me.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, motivation, sad, seasonal disorder, winter blues