Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-21, 05:29 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I hope you enjoy Lauren's workouts! I really do like them. Lauren is very responsive to YouTube comments and suggestions too.

Carol
I'm going to try her latest strength workout tomorrow. I was happy to see that she was using 8 pounds, it seems like a good challenge despite the senior name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
For moderate workouts, I'd like to put in a plug for Fitness with PJ. Her focus is on women ages 40+ and is more about strength training to keep/build muscle as we age and injury prevention. Like everyone said, what is moderate is so individual. For me, these workouts are moderate but still challenging enough to feel worked without ever feeling beat up. I decided to just give her a chance and do the Fit in 15 challenge (I'm on day 6) and am really liking her and her workouts.
I've done some of PJ's workouts, and enjoyed them. Once I'm done with Lift and Shift, I'll probably revisit her channel again.
Old 08-13-21, 03:32 AM  
Negin

My thoughts on Pahla B:

What I Don't Like
First of all, she barely eats (1350 calories at maintenance). She has said that she doesn't like food that much, so I can't relate at all. She doesn't like fruit either and only has one green apple a day. I can't relate to that part either, since I love fruit. I know to each their own, but what I can't relate to, I tend to stop listening after a certain point. It could be that when she was on her on your weight loss journey, she didn't have much to lose. Her weight loss journey was when she was in her early thirties. We all know that our bodies were different back then.

What puzzles me is that for weight loss, she says that women in this age group generally need to eat slightly more calories than previously believed. I did all the calculations that she suggests for a moderately active person. I'm shorter than her and mine came up to 1684 calories per day. She's taller than me, more active, and is maintaining at 1350 calories? Something's not right. Of course, she's free to do as she wishes, but that's not what she tells her viewers to do.

I have listened to her on some Q&As as well as on her most recent video, and she believes in consistency with calories, which makes sense of course, but here's the real kicker. Consistency every single day, with a window of only plus or minus 25 calories on either side. Eating the right number of calories every. single. day. consistently is obviously easier said than done. This would be a walk in the park if I was living in a weight loss spa or going on some meal-replacement plan, which she herself did, but doesn't recommend. With real life and social commitments, every day is different. Plus or minus 25 calories every single day is unrealistic and not sustainable for most of us. For some, it may even give rise to disordered eating. It's fine for those who eat pretty much the same exact thing every single day.

Her sleep suggestions have never been helpful to me. Yes, I know that I need to sleep and I know how to fall asleep, but she doesn't offer anything new or helpful on staying asleep. Just as with the calories, she says that we need the same amount of sleep every single night. Which post-menopausal woman is able to do that? I know that I haven't been able to. I wish that I could. Most women of our age, men also, most of us struggle in this area. I sleep best when on vacation. Alas, I cannot always be on vacation.

Managing one's mindset EVERY. SINGLE.DAY = well, surprisingly, that's easier than the calories and sleep, but that comes and goes also. One day = great. The next day = maybe not so much.

I was on her FB Group for a while. Big mistake for me personally. Either I'm not a FB Group type, which I know that I'm not. What bothers me more than anything, and I guess I'm an old soul, is the fan worship/idolatry that I was starting to see. In some ways, the group started to remind me of junior high or something.

I also started to get overwhelmed by far too many daily workout updates from more than 12,000 members at that time. I'm sure that there are more now. Of course, not all members were posting, but you get the idea. I enjoyed the questions and answers that others posted.
I also enjoyed reading success stories and helpful tips. The daily updates became excessive and I mentioned that in a post along with a suggestion to possibly have a sub-group or something. The replies back were what got to me. Pahla's response was similar to her mindset approach, basically saying that I need to ask myself why I feel overwhelmed. I thought that was just silly. I decided to leave.

Her extreme focus on getting 1 million subscribers. This type of stuff, along with the fan-type/hero worship turned me off. Time and time again, I have heard her talk about her goal of a million subscribers. Why talk about it so much? If your channel is a good one, you don't need to keep saying it.

What I Like
Some of her workouts and most especially her balance work.

Some of her mindset stuff, although after a certain point that starts to get to me. I can only handle so much of that.

From her 5-0 Plan, drinking the right amount of water and getting moderate amounts of exercise every single day are the easiest and most do-able for me. When it comes to water, I live in a hot, tropical climate and her suggestion was actually too low. I followed her advice for the amount of water for a few days, and then I started to get headaches. Turns out what she suggested doesn't calculate climate, etc. I mentioned that on the FB Group and get pounced on. Someone said that she says to account for climate. No, she doesn't. That's part of that whole FB Group/cult-type mentality that I dislike and have an aversion to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
There's no way I could stay healthy if I ate as little as she says she does, nor can I imagine how boring my meals would be if I tried to eat the same number of calories every day (one of her recommendations).
This is one of the issues that I have with her also. I have enjoyed many of her workouts, primarily the balance work, but I agree with you, that it's certainly not enough. Her eating habits and suggestions turn me off. I've watched every single video of hers about the d**t part and I think that some of it is a recipe for disaster, at least for me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I've seemed to "go off" Pahla B. lately. She definitely was useful for a while but I can't handle the chatter.
I have been enjoying the Lively Ladies channel on YouTube, ever since it was mentioned in the YouTube thread. So very simple and (I'm sure) effective. No dread!
Same here.
Thank you for sharing the Lively Ladies channel. I've started doing some of her workouts and really like her. She's so sweet.

Oh, for those who get annoyed by too much chatter. I found this channel from the YouTube thread. I've done one of her workouts already and loved it. Great music, great workout (you do need to add your own warm up and cool down), and no talking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Lauren at Senior Shape Fitness on YouTube has some really nice workouts. She has a very calm way about her and is very soothing. As always with YouTube recommendations - although I do highly recommend her - YMMV.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkW...LuRDhH7uxtZqqA
Carol
Thank you for sharing this. Going to look into it.
Old 08-13-21, 05:55 AM  
Messe

Fantastic post, Negin — thank you!

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 06:31 AM  
donnamp

Negin - thanks for your summary! I like Pahla quite a bit - but I can't bring myself to restrict and measure so many areas of my life. It reminds me of when I was in my early 20's and totally obsessed w/ calories and exercise and it wasn't healthy for me then and I can see it being potentially triggering for me now. And, I agree, in real life it is not possible to eat the same number of calories every single day - unless you do what she did which is to eat the same foods every single day. Which is not necessarily enjoyable or healthy and not necessarily possible if you have a family, want to eat with others, etc.

I have never joined FB so for good or bad I haven't joined any FB groups but I can see how cult worship can be a part of it.

I had no idea that Pahla's calories are so low! TBH as long as it wasn't affecting my health, I'd rather have a few extra pounds than be totally obsessed with logging food and calories. Been there, done that and don't want to do it again!

And I do agree about the sleep part - I haven't seen any good suggestions on how to stay asleep. I know, - relax, go to bed at the same time every night, create a sleep routine, get off your phone, etc.

I have also come to the unfortunate conclusion recently that doing a steady diet of Pahla B workouts may be triggering something in my SI joint/hip - I tend to get over-use injuries and her workouts more or less repeat the same types of moves - and that may be an issue for me. Hard to know though b/c I think I also get messed up from sitting at a desk all day too.

Anyway - I will still do her workouts from time to time and still listen in on what she has to say - I find her very pleasant and encouraging, but I don't/can't follow her "prescription"

Take care!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 06:54 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
Fantastic post, Negin — thank you!
Thank you. I worried and started doubting myself if I had gone on a bit, but I think that we're all friends here and should be able to say how we feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Negin - thanks for your summary!
Anyway - I will still do her workouts from time to time and still listen in on what she has to say - I find her very pleasant and encouraging, but I don't/can't follow her "prescription"
Donna, thank you also for your kind words.

Yes, I love most of her workouts and will continue to follow her. I may even read her upcoming book if I feel like it. She's working on a book right now.

I just know that some of her advice is a bit far-fetched for me. I'm the type of person who tends to doubt herself a lot. I have a history of placing far too much weight on the advice and expertise from others. I'm learning to listen to what feels right to me.

You're wise to not have joined FB. I remember you mentioning that. I've become very selective in that area. I only follow those whom I enjoy. Over the years, I've learned to make it work for me.

I remember the group moderators mentioning that her daily caloric intake is around 1350. Having watched her "What I Eat in a Day" videos, 1350 seems about right. 1350 is far too low, and for maintenance mind you. Again, she's taller than me. I'm 5' 2", I believe that she's 5' 4". Plus, she's more active than me on most days. What's odd is that according to her suggestions, for weight loss, I need to be at the 1600-1800 range.

Hope that your SI joint/hip feels better soon. I did a few of her workouts last week, on consecutive days, and them my knee started acting up. I'll continue to do her workouts, but space them out. I love how she keeps so many playlists - knee friendly, shoulders, balance, etc. Like you, I also love her encouraging and positive attitude.
Old 08-13-21, 07:25 AM  
sbh

Negin, I loved your post! I did do 90 days of her workouts and enjoyed it. I didn't care for her strength training though and I did not follow her diet info. I hate tracking calories!! What clicked for me was lowering my workouts to a moderate level. Reducing my workout intensity lowered my stress levels and I lost weight. I now know what my moderate is and I just apply that to whatever workout I want to do. I'm not on Facebook so I am not familiar with what her group is saying or doing, but the fan worship would have turned me off too.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 07:54 AM  
donnamp

Also, not to disparage Pahla in anyway - but I do wonder what her credentials/training is - I know she's a personal trainer and life coach - but I am not sure that it qualifies her as an expert in diet/weight loss, etc. I think there is nothing wrong in her sharing what worked for her - but I think that we all have to find what works best for each of us and I know I can't count calories - saps the joy out of life.

I can work to be more mindful about what I eat and I can see the benefit of tracking what i'm eating to see patterns - like am I snacking when I'm not hungry, etc.

For me tracking would be more of a big picture vs. detail so I can see the big picture and see where I may be able to tweak something - like maybe I really don't need those mini Hershey bars at 3:00 p.m. maybe a walk around the block and a drink of water would work instead, etc.

She does generally preface things more or less with - your mileage may vary - so maybe it is the cult followers that take everything she says as gospel.

Who knows - but I think in the end w/ any fitness or exercise or diet program you need to find something that is sustainable and works for you and, is enjoyable. If you had to do workouts that you didn't enjoy, you'd quit - if you had to eat food you didn't enjoy you'd cheat and eat other things.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 08:06 AM  
cyana

Negin - Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful assessment. I didn't perceive it to be negative - just being honest about the parts that worked for you and the ones that don't.

I like Pahla, but admit that limited doses are preferable, as the chattiness isn't what I'm looking for just after crawling out of bed.

Donna - I could see the therapeutic value in a mini-Hershey's bar at 3 PM.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-21, 09:23 AM  
Sollamyn

I loved your post, too, Negin!

I am a recent Pahla follower (2-3 months, maybe?). I've read her 5-0 Method e-book, listened to some of her podcasts and a couple of her Q&As (too long for me, though!), watched some of her non-workout YT vids, and have done a handful of her workouts.

I've got to say, I find her whole "get the same number of calories every single day" theory unhelpful for my situation. In fact, after a few days, I am triggered into overeating. I do find the water recommendations helpful, as well as the mindset work.

If you follow Pahla's FB Bee Hive group (the free group), I'm the one who asked the question about whether or not Pahla ever addresses eating disorders in her dieting advice. It was an innocent question and I didn't mean any disrespect or criticism of Pahla. However, I did feel a bit overwhelmed by some of the responses I got. I had someone tell me that Pahla's diet advice should not feel restrictive. Ummm...okay. It does feel restrictive to me, but maybe not to you, but it's great if you feel that way. Also, another person kind of criticized a responder who said she thought that dieting, in general, was annoying. I came to the defense and pointed out that dieting is annoying to me for many reasons, but yay for anyone who does not find it annoying. Why criticize people who are struggling? (However, I did not pose that last question on FB! )

I guess Pahla's FB group may not be for me, either. There's too much diet talk on there. I do like reading the success stories, though, and I also enjoy Pahla's Fitness Matters podcast. Her workouts are kind of meh for me. I prefer music with my workouts and I'm trying to build up my fitness level (after having been involuntarily sedentary for several months during my recovery from broken ankle), so I've mostly been doing Jessica Smith lately.

Donna
Old 08-13-21, 11:22 AM  
Taiga

A while back, I looked at Pahla's stuff briefly after seeing her name at VF more often. I didn't understand the allure at all. For many years, Vfers have talked about the potential stress effect of prolonged/intense exercise, so moderation wasn't a new concept. Her workouts seemed kind of lackluster compared to many of the popular instructors we discuss here but I understand that sometimes people just click. Personally though, I could not do her workouts regularly without a considerable loss of strength and I actually do MUCH better alternating calorie loads. That 1350 calories per day stuff initially works of course but then my body would get stingy with weight loss. I think it is a recipe for cold, cranky and food obsessed---no thanks.

I also think there is a big difference in cardio vs strength. Prolonged/intense cardio (like her former marathon running) produces stress hormone. Strength training raises growth hormone and promotes metabolically active muscle. It raises quality of life and protects us from weak bones and frailty. You can easily adjust and grow in strength training (to reduce any stress effect) by changing the amount that you lift gradually.

If a person switches from marathon running to lighter (still mostly cardio workouts) in their 50s, they might feel better due to less stress hormone initially. That doesn't mean that bone and muscle density aren't decreasing and could become a big problem in the next decade. Or that you won't need less calories to maintain with each passing year. Weights and walking work for me--no stress, more calorie allowance and fun activities thanks to enough strength.

Tags
appetite, lowering intensity, moderate intensity, over 50, pahla bowers, successful weight loss