Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-21, 09:59 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
... I do still have some vanity aspirations.
Why not? When did vanity become a crime?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 10:34 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I concur.

The major reason I exercise is to remain strong, flexible, and mobile for as long as I can. Functional fitness is the way to go for me. I don't do killer workouts. My joints can't take it.

But another reason I exercise is looking and feeling attractive, for myself and for DH. Nothing wrong with that. He does the same for me.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 11:32 AM  
ncl

This is an interesting thread!

I love the idea of training (as in for competitive swimming), but training for life. I had to learn that fitness was about being fit for the rest of my life. I had a tendency to overdo and injure myself. I have learned to pay attention to my body more and to exercise accordingly.

I think there are many reasons I exercise.

The most enduring reason is that I feel so much better mood wise and energy wise and can tell a real difference if I don't do it, so that has always been the case and is probably the biggest reason for me.

Also, I enjoy exercising so it is fun for me, too. That helps! It is not fun every single day,but most days it is.

And definitely there is a vanity component but I don't think that really keeps me consistent.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 03:28 PM  
JENILU

i hope I didn't imply wanting to look good was bad, if anyone meant my post. I had just gotten a very unhealthy view and it felt much better when I got to focusing more on other things. I never could hit that perfect mark that I wanted when tat was my goal, personally and it made my depression worse. I don't want to live like that version of me. But I have never stopped wanting/aspiring to look better.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 03:36 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
i hope I didn't imply wanting to look good was bad, if anyone meant my post. I had just gotten a very unhealthy view and it felt much better when I got to focusing more on other things. I never could hit that perfect mark that I wanted when tat was my goal, personally and it made my depression worse. I don't want to live like that version of me. But I have never stopped wanting/aspiring to look better.
I didn't interpret it that way. I know I sometimes beat myself up in the past for not meeting some "perfect" standard and it wasn't a healthy thing to do. I "think" you are saying that you have experienced something similar.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 01:59 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I didn't interpret it that way. I know I sometimes beat myself up in the past for not meeting some "perfect" standard and it wasn't a healthy thing to do. I "think" you are saying that you have experienced something similar.
Yes!! Thankyou!! I guess self abuse to the point where I couldn't even see people- and definately not myself clearly. I struggle with myself still, but I can see all people as beautiful. I don't need an instructor to look like a body builder for me to do her arm workout, etc.. anymore either (thats an exaggeration, but it was bad). Bless you! Also, trying to get healthy is a full time job now, and it puts my own life and goals in perspective I guess. Again, not that anything is wrong with whatever people's goals may be as long there isn't just hate as motivation.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 07:42 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
Yes!! Thankyou!! I guess self abuse to the point where I couldn't even see people- and definately not myself clearly. I struggle with myself still, but I can see all people as beautiful. I don't need an instructor to look like a body builder for me to do her arm workout, etc.. anymore either (thats an exaggeration, but it was bad). Bless you! Also, trying to get healthy is a full time job now, and it puts my own life and goals in perspective I guess. Again, not that anything is wrong with whatever people's goals may be as long there isn't just hate as motivation.
Do you mean the “hate” of not loving their bodies?

There is a good book called Body Kindness. Not saying it’s for you but for anyone who has issues, concern they are holding on to. It shows up also in the structure of our bodies.

I’m just learning this about mine. I’m learning to be kind to my body by exercising for health. And not to even think I could copy the instructor.

One of the reason if not the main reason, women go straight to breast reconstruction after mastectomy is vanity and not a healthy love for their bodies as is made by the creator.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 09:36 AM  
Taiga

Nm
Old 08-01-21, 09:52 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
...I do still have some vanity aspirations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Amen! There are some people at Walmart that can definitely use a strong dose of vanity :-)
Old 08-01-21, 11:42 AM  
warriorprincess

There's a quote attributed to Dick Van Dyke that I love, which goes:

"In my 30's, I exercised to look good.
In my 50's, I exercised to stay fit.
In my 70's, to stay ambulatory.
In my 80's, to avoid assisted living.
Now, in my 90's, I'm just doing it out of pure defiance."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise benefits, motivation, self-acceptance, vanity