Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-21, 04:24 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Just out of curiosity I "Googled" the top 100 safest cities in 2021. The cities they list have low populations, which explains some of their choices.

https://www.safewise.com/safest-cities-america/

I'm in Rhode Island, in the city of Providence. I would not recommend it to a senior, nor do I feel safe here. It's the most urban environment I've ever lived in. It's a college town and there is theft all the time. Our house is alarmed, with security camera's posted at front, back, side and garage doors. We've had deliveries stolen from our front door. We've had a service AC/Heating vehicle stolen from our driveway, mid-day and was driven off and stripped. All the repairman's tools were taken, thousands of dollars worth. Our neighbor has expensive cars and they've been broken into from his garage.

Rhode Island is beautiful in many areas, but in Providence crime is high. We live in a nice neighborhood, but it's not always quiet, peaceful or safe.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 05:02 PM  
Izzy

I am single and I live in a small town, with a population 18,000 about 70 miles west of Chicago. This is a farm county but a Illinois university is the next town over. I feel safe here but the town with the university has a lot of crime and it can trickle over. I walk early in the morning and late at night and often I forget to lock my doors. I walk to work and to the town shops. Bike trails are close by. I still work and do not foresee retiring for at least 5 more years. I am 65. I would love to move to Colorado where my middle son lives. In part because he is there but also I like the lifestyle that encourages outside exercising (walking, biking, hiking). Our winters can be brutal and it does get humid here. It's the Midwest, weather wise, anything can happen.
Old 06-03-21, 05:07 PM  
Gams

My doors are ALWAYS locked, even when I’m home. My husband used to get mad at me because we’d come home with groceries and if I was the first one in the house, I’d automatically lock the door and he’d be stuck outside with his hands full of groceries.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 05:43 PM  
BunnyHop

My neighborhood seems safe enough, but there are occasional break-ins. Random theft from unlocked cars, etc.

I feel safe in my home, and get the sense that the neighborhood is well patrolled. The neighbors and the police are paying attention.

The summers are hot, but right here on the coast temps are a bit more manageable than further inland. Ocean breezes make a difference.

OTOH, I'm trying to figure out where to move because this area is prone to hurricanes and I've had enough. Just don't want the stress or the maintenance of a house, and the insurance costs are just insane.
Old 06-03-21, 06:17 PM  
Gams

Alta, I lived in Newport, OR for awhile. My best friend still lives there. I liked it a lot. I liked that winter and summer were both on the milder side. At the time, I rented a house on the ocean for $290.00 a month! And it isn’t too far from Portland.

Last edited by Gams; 06-03-21 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 07:27 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i'm in Parkland, FL and i feel very safe here. i live in a gated community with a private park, walking path, tennis and i go walking around 1am daily with my dogs.

my dogs don't like being near other dogs so i walk them late - nothing has ever happened and i feel completely safe. the security typically sees me on my walk and waves. the police roll thru and wave.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 07:44 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
My doors are ALWAYS locked, even when I’m home. My husband used to get mad at me because we’d come home with groceries and if I was the first one in the house, I’d automatically lock the door and he’d be stuck outside with his hands full of groceries.
I had to laugh at this. My mother always made fun of me for automatically locking the doors whenever I went in. I can’t tell you how many times I locked someone else out! Now that she’s of an advanced age, she does the same thing. But that’s different, wink, wink.

My immediate neighborhood is very safe, and I sometimes leave the house without locking up, but the surrounding areas not so much. Meth heads galore.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 09:21 PM  
Sollamyn

I'm thinking of moving to some sort of retirement community in the next few years. I have no idea where, though!

Donna
Old 06-03-21, 10:02 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
i do this too. drives the family crazy. We recently had a contractor replace our driveway gate and it stays closed all day. it adds more security to our humble abode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I'm thinking of moving to some sort of retirement community in the next few years. I have no idea where, though!

Donna
the place i mentioned where my MIL and her DH live - you can move there from age 55 and up. when i found out that even i could live there, it changed my perspective. My MIL said there are people who still work that live there, such as teachers. you have the option of renting or buying. my in-laws chose to rent. I'm mentioning this because many "retirement" communities might be an option now, and if not, it's good to start looking because 5 years is not too far away. and if there's a waiting list, you might want to get on the list of the community that suits you. in other words, you might not need to be "non-working" to live in a retirement community - of course, each place has their own rules, but it's good to find out.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 07:54 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

I live in SW Ohio so you definitely wouldn't want to be here because the humidity in summer is awful.

I do feel safe in our community, it's small and in our neighborhood folks tend to watch out for each other. We're about 35 miles north of Cincinnati and 20 miles south of Dayton so can go in either direction for things to do.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
getting to know you, relocating, retirement locations, where do you live