Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-21, 12:35 PM  
IceQueen07

Indoor Walking

I used to be able to walk outdoors prior to moving. Now where we are living there really isn't anywhere to go walking by myself. I have also switched to working remotely so am home all the time. The combination has not been good and I am slowly gaining inches in my hips and legs. I have walking dvds that I can do at home. Has anyone had good results with only doing their walking indoors with dvds or youtube? I used to walk at least 10K a step.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 01:03 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i do a lot of my walking indoors. if you need more challenges, you can do a number of things:
  • add light weights
  • wear a weighted vest
  • walk or jump on a rebounder
  • use a resistance band*
  • pump your arms
  • choose the "higher intensity" option if available
  • step up on a ramp or aerobic step
*i also have this "power belt" that has a resistance band-like cords on both sides of the powerbelt. my HR goes up when i pull on them (i wear a fitbit).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 02:00 PM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i do a lot of my walking indoors. if you need more challenges, you can do a number of things:
  • add light weights
  • wear a weighted vest
  • walk or jump on a rebounder
  • use a resistance band*
  • pump your arms
  • choose the "higher intensity" option if available
  • step up on a ramp or aerobic step
*i also have this "power belt" that has a resistance band-like cords on both sides of the powerbelt. my HR goes up when i pull on them (i wear a fitbit).
Thanks for the suggestions. I really wish I could unpack my rebounder, unfortunately where we are renting the ceilings are too low.

**Candice**
Old 05-03-21, 03:04 PM  
Kitten

A lot of my cardio is indoor walking. The only thing I can add to Bzar's suggestions is that Leslie has some 5 and 10 minute walks on youtube that I got up and did once an hour when my state was on covid lockdown.

Ellen's WW walks are on youtube as well and I really enjoyed her 10 minute ones.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 05:42 PM  
anetta

I like Walking Online Workouts and Brand Fitness on youtube.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 08:08 PM  
upperwside

Burpee girl on YouTube has some fun walking workouts, some with weights, I really enjoy hers. Brian Syuki also has zillions of options.. Some with jogging or indoor running moves.

I was doing more indoor walking workouts this year as my dog died. He was my walking buddy and if my kids didn't walk with me I couldn't go alone. I got good results and had fun. Getting another puppy Ridgeback this week .. So no walks for a while till he has all his shots and then it will be short training walks... So I'll continue the indoor walking to keep my steps up and compliment my strength training.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 09:03 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Hi, I can't talk about results, since I do other form of cardio too. But I just wanted to add that when I do a lot of indoor walking my hip flexors feel tight, so I would recommend a good stretch session afterwards. Too bad you can't use your rebounder, that would be nice to mix it up a bit. Have you think of a slide board? That is a good cardio as well, and totally low impact.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 04:18 AM  
IceQueen07

Thanks for all the input. I do get other cardio and weight training throughout the week, the walking was in addition to my normal workout routine. I miss the outdoor walking and I really need to get the steps in so I am going to look around youtube. Just didn't know if people really got results just basically walking in place inside. Wish I still had my treadmill, but that was sold prior to moving.

**Candice**
Old 05-04-21, 12:21 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Just didn't know if people really got results just basically walking in place inside.
i tagged this thread - there are an abundant # of threads in the tags where people lost weight from just Leslie. you may need to increase the "FITT" listed below to get results since your brain and body will adapt and usually need new challenges:
  • frequency
  • intensity
  • time**
  • type of exercise*
*this can be adding "boosters" to your walking as mentioned in an earlier post (light weights, weight vest, weighted belt, bands, ramp, etc.)
**people have had success using Leslie in ABB, which is very low intensity. you may need to increase the length of time in order for ABB to work. ABB= aerobic base building.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 10:40 AM  
Scorpio6

Rick Bhullar Walking

I can highly recommend him. He's a Brit living in Dubai,recently he and his wife had a baby who is adorable. He's a former dancer and the music he uses is awesome. Also has a very active and nice Facebook group where lots of ppl are losing weight. He posts the number of steps per workout and each workout has a theme regarding the music. He's free to subscribe on YouTube but if you want longer workouts you can subscribe for a fee to get those. I'm not in that category, I wouldn't be able to do them. But anyway, he's a hoot and a lot of fun.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abb, indoor vs outdoor walking, leslie success, outdoor walking, ramp, walking, walking for weight loss