Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-20, 11:07 AM  
Jammin

Weight training for bone density

When it comes to building/ retaining bone mass, which is best? 3 day splits or total body weight workouts 2-3 x week? I know I need to lift heavy but will working each body part once per week cut it?

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up." Babe Ruth
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 11:53 AM  
fanofladyvols

Robin, everything that I have read says there is no universal best for everyone. So much has to do with where you're most prone to experience a fracture as far as frequency to specific body area. I have read that where you feel you need to increase the density most is the area you should exercise more frequently with weight bearing activities.

After reading that, my goal in prevention was just to increase the number of activities that used weight bearing and to challenge my body. As far as cardio, walking over swimming, hiking over biking, etc. However, I don't think they mean choosing exercise you don't enjoy. Obviously, moving is what's important.

I still enjoy full body workouts but playing around with splits ( whether single body parts or upper and lower) to increase the challenge. I am also dusting off those step workouts ..even with just the platform causes that stomping action for the legs.

I no longer avoid all impact either...I make it lower impact but do find ways to challenge those hips and legs with balance and some impact.

I hope someone who has experimented on themselves will post and offer some of their experience.

P.S. I love your signature quote!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 12:50 PM  
prettyinpink

I didn’t think that there was a definitive answer to this.

I am concerned about preserving bone and gaining strength, but there are lots of ways to do it, so I do what I like.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 03:12 PM  
KarenH

I follow a program from Dr. Miriam Nelson called Strong Women Strong Bones which is used to build bone. She provides exercises to do. But the emphasis is on performing each rep to an eight count and use as heavy a weight to be able to almost perform eight reps (twice) to almost failure. So for your bicep count to four going up, pause at the top and then count four to lower. That is how you perform each exercise. Use as heavy a weight to almost failure for the eight reps which you perform twice. This program is done twice a wee.
Old 03-31-20, 03:41 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I didn’t think that there was a definitive answer to this.

I am concerned about preserving bone and gaining strength, but there are lots of ways to do it, so I do what I like.
This is my philosophy too. The workout you enjoy is the one you will do.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone building, bone density, splits vs tb, weight training