Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-20, 04:34 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Friends of ours live in one. They really like it, though no one is close to 50! They are all at least in their 70s, according to my friend, who is in her 80s.

I would think, even if it's noisy and maybe kind of annoying, that it's healthy to have people's grandchildren running around! Having kids around to upend your routine keeps you young and flexible! I'm another who prefers to live in a more multi-generational environment. We can learn from one another. But i can see the advantages of some of the amenities these communities offer.
I’ve often thought about living in a community with activities, etc., but grandkids running around would drive me crazy! I’d be crabby and irritable constantly!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 06:24 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I’ve often thought about living in a community with activities, etc., but grandkids running around would drive me crazy! I’d be crabby and irritable constantly!
I totally agree! This entire thread has convinced me 55+ living is not for me.
Old 01-09-20, 06:39 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
This! I already have that where I live now (fortunately to a limited degree), so what would be the point of me moving to 55+ community? I'm not a very social person, not a joiner of social clubs, don't need neighbors knocking on my door and I'm happy creating my own activities so I guess I'll stay where I am. My DH is the same way. He always says we're not anti-social, we're just private and that just about sums us up. These communities are a great fit for some people but not all.
Old 01-09-20, 09:12 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I totally agree! This entire thread has convinced me 55+ living is not for me.
Wow, we almost NEVER see grandkids! One of our next-door neighbors has grandkids that we see once and awhile at her house, but there are never any kids on the street.

Probably another reason our community is more quiet is that many of the older retired residents are "snowbirds", so here for part of the year but in Florida or elsewhere this time of year. We have found it's quite private even though our house is attached to someone else! (We are on the end of a three house unit.) There are a few neighbors who tend to notice certain things (like when you go out to get your mail), but that's probably true in any small community.

I am a little jealous of those who have pools/clubhouses; we don't have anything like that. There are a few community activities here and there (e.g., a summer picnic, a holiday party). And we have our own "little library."

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 09:47 PM  
sciencelady

I'm 58 now, but am researching available condo co-ops in my area to move to at about age 65. Some of the co-ops allow starting at 55, others at 62. I want to wait after my current dog passes and I get full access to retirement funds after age 65. Looks like there's a lot of construction of senior living co-ops also in my area, so new facilities may be available at the time I want to make the transition. If I do try to buy into an existing co-op, I would have to "inherit" the funding the first people received (if they mortgaged at 35% of value, then I would get that also - couldn't change it to a 95% paid for, 5% mortgaged). I don't like that. I'd also have to get used to units getting sunlight in one or two directions, not all four as I get in my current house. I'll probably put in some reservations in two possible retirement communities at this time and wait for an available unit in 7 years, as well as keeping on top of new communities. I'm looking to stay in my area of the county.

Advantages to senior living options would be no more shoveling, raking and mowing, but some still offer the opportunity to garden a bit in your own plot. I like the ability to socialize a bit, but still be able to retreat to my unit. Also if something bad were to happen to me, it would be easier to get help than getting found in my house or yard. I like the possibility of organized transport to stores and malls if my eyesight gets worse and I can't drive well in the future. Also transition to getting some additional care if needed is easier in one of those communities than in your own home. I'm hoping the community I end up in isn't a high "snowbird" population that makes the building seem evacuated for months.
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 07:53 AM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Yeah, my husband and I are 49 and have talked about checking these out when we turn 55+ because we wanted a kid-free neighborhood. Looks like that might not be the case!

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 09:42 AM  
laurajhawk

If the attraction is not having to do maintenance, but other aspects of 55+ don't seem like a good fit, I can think of a couple options. Conventional (not 55+) condos will give you outside maintenance. In addition or as a different alternative, it seems like the fees are significant - perhaps you could stay in your current house (or a new downsized place) and apply that money instead to a yard service + handyman when you need it.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 11:55 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Re children: we rarely see any kids around our neighborhood, I have seen a few playing in yards or when out for walks.

I mainly see them at our central (largest) pool area, they're allowed for a few hours during the day from May to November. The other two pools are kid-free. I'm not a big kid person myself, so it's very possible to avoid them, it's not like they're running around all over the place.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 12:48 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
If the attraction is not having to do maintenance, but other aspects of 55+ don't seem like a good fit, I can think of a couple options. Conventional (not 55+) condos will give you outside maintenance. In addition or as a different alternative, it seems like the fees are significant - perhaps you could stay in your current house (or a new downsized place) and apply that money instead to a yard service + handyman when you need it.
That is what I was going to suggest - it sounds like a lot of these places have high HOA fees - perhaps they are more than you would spend on a yard service/handyman service.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 12:57 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
That is what I was going to suggest - it sounds like a lot of these places have high HOA fees - perhaps they are more than you would spend on a yard service/handyman service.

Donna
That was our feeling when we sold and moved back into a house. We hire someone on occasion to do heavy yard work & clean our gutters. Our yard is pretty low maintenance.

Also it’s pretty hard to find a completely kid free neighborhood....they’re out there and they are our future leaders....

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement, retirement locations, where do you live