Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-18, 09:40 AM  
rvagal

Slow/gentle weight-training?

I've recently been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and can no longer handle the pace of my regular workouts.

What workouts use regular weights but have very gentle cardio and fewer four-limb movements? My HR goes too high when I, say, do squats and over-head arm presses at the same time.

I had Prime Powers Fat Burning ready to give away because I tried it over the summer and thought it was too easy at the time, but now it's just right. Glad I hung onto it. I also tried Just Right Cardio Weights & Yoga from FitPrime and that one was good too.

So I've ordered the remaining Firm Basics, Prime Powers, and Just Right DVDs that I can find. I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that fits the bill for me. I don't want to lose my muscle mass. I can do most exercises with 3-4 lbs for light, 5-7lbs for medium, and 8-12lbs for heavy. But not getting my HR up is key, so the pace must be gentle and slow. And I sit to do arm exercises rather than stand when possible.

I'm going to put away the workouts that are too hard for me at the moment and am hoping to have a full basket to keep out and reach for. I think I'll be sad if my basket is half-empty.
Old 01-01-18, 09:59 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Charlotte Ord has a beginner's weight lifting DVD:

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Bac...kouts-p/29.htm

that might work for you.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 11:14 AM  
Demeris

Miribai Holland--almost anything she has, but most especially the Fabulous Forever trilogy.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 11:43 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I'm thinking maybe Margaret Richard workouts. She isn't easy by any means but she is very careful with form and gentle on the joints and her weight work doesn't raise my heartrate like workouts with compounds moves.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 11:49 AM  
sherry7899

Everyone beat me to the same suggestions!

I actually just ordered a six pack of Tamilee Webb workouts for $19.99 on Amazon. I have not been keeping up with strength training and feel like I am starting at square one. She goes slowly and is my speed right now.

Margaret actually has a dvd done for seniors. I'm blanking on the title. I think she made it for the American Association of Aging or somewhere similar? I will check later and post back. The exercises are done seated.

Karen Voight also has a senior strength workout.

You can really adapt any strength workout to seated for upper body, though.

ETA: here is Margaret's workout I mentioned:

https://www.collagevideo.com/product...itute-on-aging

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 01:34 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Leslie Sansone's Short Cuts - UB and LB DVD. this workout is OOP, but is mostly seated, and is also actually good for advanced since you can really heavy up.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 02:26 PM  
Calistro

This might be going to far, but I recently purchased the Chair Dancing sit down and tone it up workouts from Mary, to get some ideas for my chair group, also my son had broken his ankle so I thought he could use these at home. I really don't know your level, but you could use heavier weights to make these hard if you want to.

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Cha...Jodi-p/168.htm

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Cha...Jodi-p/238.htm

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Cha...Jodi-p/193.htm

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Cha...-DVD-p/199.htm

and the stretch dvd

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Cha...-DVD-p/122.htm

Workouts that I used to mock, now in times of injury or stress have now become a lifesaver to me. I keep a few easier ones just in case my (so called) invincibility gets the better of me
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 02:59 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Margaret Richard also has a weight workout that is done entirely while seated, I think. The name is Getting Better.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 03:01 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Leslie Sansone's Short Cuts - UB and LB DVD. this workout is OOP, but is mostly seated, and is also actually good for advanced since you can really heavy up.

This one has been available really cheap on a compilation dvd. I need to look up the title.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 03:02 PM  
Fidget Queen

I've gone through almost a decade of chronic illness now - I am slowly getting better, luckily - but when I was finally ready to exercise again, Margaret Richard truly was a god-send for me. Others have already mentioned it, but I thought you'd want to hear from someone else dealing with a similar issue.

Her workouts will definitely make you stronger without wiping you out.

Just to add, I also later started doing Tracy Anderson's Meta (no cardio) without any fatigue problems and Classical Stretch has been a constant companion for a few years. Callanetics, as well, will work your body with absolutely no strain on your system. These are definitely not weight workouts, but a few of the things that have allowed me to continue to move through the not so good times. If I'd stuck with only weights, I'd have gotten nowhere, as there would be weeks and sometimes months where even lifting a weight was too much.

You'll be better off than I was, as I hadn't been able to exercise (or even move) for a good two or three years before I started again. Also, there is absolutely no workout schedule - when my body needs a day off, it's taking a day (or two or three) off. If I push just a teeny bit too far, it will wipe me out for at least a week.

I keep a weekly planner with my workouts in it, and I can go back and see me ramping up my workouts or doing too much every day, and then immediately after there is an entire week blank . I still haven't learned my lesson. There are too many amazing workouts and so little time (and precious energy).

Good luck!
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chair dumbbell workouts, slow weights