Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-15, 07:59 PM  
gilbjeter

I grew my butt too big. And I don't like it.

After I was done having kids at the age of 32 ( I am now 35). I got in the best shape of my life with Insanity and Turbo Fire. I was the skinniest I ever was and I loved it because I am short and curvy. In the past years, I have added in cathe, body beast, weight training and most recently edge booty extreme. I really focused on the heavy weights this spring into summer. I feel so bulky and realizing the heavy weights don't do it aesthetically for me. I do not feel like I gained a lot of weight from my Insanity days ( I rarely weigh myself), and I must be in good shape because I workout like crazy, my diet has not changed either. But the problem is I think I have put on too much mass. I tried on my old skinny jeans from when I was doing insanity and turbo fire and I could not them past my hips. I want to be tiny and thin again. Everything in the fitness world lately says to build muscle, embrace curves, etc. but I just don't like this for myself. Havin a pity party over here.
gilbjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 08:20 PM  
rhbrand

Send some my way lol!

The best thing about muscle, if you don't like it, you can lose it far easier than fat. Go back to Insanity type workouts, and it won't be long, a few weeks maybe, you'll lose that muscle.

Me, I want all the muscle I can get! Unless I turn into some steroided up lady bodybuilder, I don't see myself ever thinking I have to much muscle lol! If so, I'll lay off the weights for a few weeks and it will go away.

But really, send me some booty! I could use it!
Old 09-07-15, 08:49 PM  
andtckrtoo

I build muscle easily as well. Go back to what works... That's the only advice I have - you'll get it back.
Old 09-07-15, 09:01 PM  
TinierTina

Smile Put THAT to Katy Perry music:"I Kissed a Girl" I kid ...

"I grew my butt too big; and don't like it ...
... Don't like it"

Well, no matter what I do, it is never my problem; but how-to's all over the media, so if you get to want this enough, w/ any natural ability to do so, it gets to be easy with minimal focus ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 10:02 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbjeter View Post
After I was done having kids at the age of 32 ( I am now 35). I got in the best shape of my life with Insanity and Turbo Fire. I was the skinniest I ever was and I loved it because I am short and curvy. In the past years, I have added in cathe, body beast, weight training and most recently edge booty extreme. I really focused on the heavy weights this spring into summer. I feel so bulky and realizing the heavy weights don't do it aesthetically for me. I do not feel like I gained a lot of weight from my Insanity days ( I rarely weigh myself), and I must be in good shape because I workout like crazy, my diet has not changed either. But the problem is I think I have put on too much mass. I tried on my old skinny jeans from when I was doing insanity and turbo fire and I could not them past my hips. I want to be tiny and thin again. Everything in the fitness world lately says to build muscle, embrace curves, etc. but I just don't like this for myself. Havin a pity party over here.
Dont feel bad. Your feelings are your feelings. First, it takes time to adjust to body changes. Have you given it enough time? I remember times I've put on weight but still thought I was smaller and tried to squeeze through a small space and realized Oh... LOL. And times I've lost weight but still felt bigger. Your brain takes time to catch up. And your aesthetic preferences can change. Also, your new body may very well need different fashion choices. I have a big butt and skinny jeans arent my friend. But, I usually can't even squeeze my calves into skinny jeans, so I think I'm just not built for them. I hate tight clothes anyway. I digress. I have big shoulders now from strength training, and I was a little disconcerted by them at first. But also in awe of them! My preferences change in some ways just by surrounding myself visually with more muscular women (in workout DVDs and online strength sites I visit), and now when I see really slender women without muscle (usually in TV and movies) they are not to my taste. So, you might need to do some thinking about your priorities. Is fitness and particularly strength training important to your life, or were you just adding mass because the authorities said to, but you wouldn't miss it if you stopped? Strength training means a lot to me personally, so I would totally miss it. I would have to mourn it, if I had to give it up.

Like rhbrand said, it's easy to lose muscle, so don't panic.

But, I wanted to share a story. I was with my family for a medical situation recently, and a friend of the family visited who has a severe muscle wasting disease. He is elderly, and it is progressive. He has always loved to walk, but I don't think he ever bothered with strength training. Now, he is at the point where his legs can give out from under him during the outdoor walks he loves so much. He has trouble grasping things with his hands. Yes it is a rare disease, but the muscle wasting is a process we all go through as we age, although not as severely. It made me so glad I am putting all this muscle in the bank, so to speak. More muscle means longer time for it to waste away.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 10:56 PM  
rhbrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
But, I wanted to share a story. I was with my family for a medical situation recently, and a friend of the family visited who has a severe muscle wasting disease. He is elderly, and it is progressive. He has always loved to walk, but I don't think he ever bothered with strength training. Now, he is at the point where his legs can give out from under him during the outdoor walks he loves so much. He has trouble grasping things with his hands. Yes it is a rare disease, but the muscle wasting is a process we all go through as we age, although not as severely. It made me so glad I am putting all this muscle in the bank, so to speak. More muscle means longer time for it to waste away.
I think this is why I want as much muscle as I can. I've worked as an RN in long term care aka nursing homes, long enough to see that besides dementia, just being to damn weak to get yourself on and off the toilet, a chair, your bed, etc is the main reason women end up in nursing homes. If lifting heavy and gaining muscle will keep me from ever ending up in a nursing home with someone else holding me up and wiping my butt, I'll gain as much muscle as I can! Yes, any exercise will help, but well, if heavy squats now mean in 40 years I can lower myself on the toilet and stand up off it, I'll do it!
Old 09-07-15, 11:13 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Love this comment, Rhonda. As someone who is also a nurse, and also blessed with muscular thighs and butt, I feel the same way.

I don't actively work to get bigger, but I climb stairs, do squats and kick big fins around in the water. Tonight my husband tried to pinch my butt and at 62 he still can't pinch there! That would be me, not him!

Maintaining strength through life is very important; it doesn't always have to come with big muscles but since that's what I was born with, I'll work to keep them.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 03:47 AM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbjeter View Post
I am with you on this. Cathe talked about this in her most recent newsletter. She claims to gain and keep strength without building mass use heavy weight keeping to fewer reps like five and doing like 3 sets. Heavy as you can go.
I had this issue after years of Cathes rotations, 2 rounds of STS, and CLX. I turned to TA and barre fusion and managed to get back into my clothes fairly quickly. I have recently added in some old fashion lifting with Rachel McLish and Lisa Lyons.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 04:01 AM  
dlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I think this is why I want as much muscle as I can. I've worked as an RN in long term care aka nursing homes, long enough to see that besides dementia, just being to damn weak to get yourself on and off the toilet, a chair, your bed, etc is the main reason women end up in nursing homes!
Exactly - Living this with MIL who is 91 & had to go into a Nursing Home. Has severe dementia but realizes her son & I help her with all functions of using the toilet.

I leave there each time vowing to never give up weights.

Deb
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 05:43 AM  
PhyllisG

I wanted to add another thought.....flexibility. As you age this becomes just as important as strength. I find myself concentrating on this more and more. When I was younger I did a lot of yoga and then concentrated more on Cathe strength and aerobics...lots of step. Now I found myself really wanting and enjoying doing yoga again on a daily basis. First thing in the morning actually. Yoga really does combine flexibility and strength without the use of weights. I can especially feel it in my legs and glutes. I also feel that staying fit as you age involves more than just how much you can lift but on how physically active you are each day. Nutrition becomes even more important.
Personally for me bigger muscles are not the only answer. You need flexibility too.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbg, bone density, bulking, cholesterol, flexibility, hdl, legs and glutes, resistance training, strength training, weight training