Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-12, 04:24 AM  
Tugger31

Cathe's CTX Upper Body workout gave me the best arms! Also Jari's Slim and Lean, it's chaptered so you can just do the arm work.

Another good one is KCM's Weights' upper body segment.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 06:52 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I actually have EVERY workout mentioned in this thread (the benefit of a large collection). Definitely can't do planks/push ups at this point...I agree as to effectiveness as I do most of my upper body work through power yoga.
I love Firm Upper Body but almost all firm movements are compound. I've done that workout before just doing the upper body movement but it felt awkward to me.

One of my successful attempts at upper body strength came when I was doing one body part a day using CTX so maybe I'll give that a try.

Really appreciate all the suggestions. You all have given me some great ideas.
Old 09-08-12, 07:08 AM  
alisoncooks

I was really pleased with my arms (and chest) when I did mostly Jari Love's Slim & Lean and GR&C. And her workouts are well-chaptered, so you could skip all lower body work.

I have heard lots of praise for TA's Mat and arm results, but I did nearly a month of that and all I got was a pair of sore elbows ....
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 08:54 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that bodyweight exercises (various planks/side planks/pushups/tricep pushups) combined with hi-rep light weights and a smidge of unweighted arms works best for me. I don't know if doing the mat work would be uncomfortable for you or not.
Plank work is great for upper body work, but she tore her hip flexor muscle, and since it's worked in plank position, plank work would not be a good idea.

Could you do arm work on your own? I'm thinking that maybe sitting would be best for you while you're healing.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 09:57 AM  
Jeanne Marie

In my opinion, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It depends on YOU and your arms, your body, your structure. It's just like when someone recommends a certain brand of running shoes because they work for them. That does not mean they will work for everybody because all feet and running styles are different. In the same way, all arms are different.

My advice would be to experiment with what works best for you. My arms respond to both heavy weights and body weight moves (planks, push ups, etc.) I do both. But for someone else, one or the other alone might work.
Old 09-08-12, 10:30 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I've torn a hip flexor muscle and am mostly limited to upper body work for now. Most of the strength workouts I prefer are full body. If I want to spend this time working on getting fabulous arms, which workouts would you recommend? There really can't be a lower body component until I am further along in the healing process.

PUB is a standby favorite of mine but I'm a little burned out on it so would welcome other suggestions.
Sorry to hear about your injury! I hope you heal quickly!

If you want to stick with Cathe, then I like Cross Train Xpress Upper Body Split, and also Pure Strength upper body segments. Margaret Richard's Sculpture upper body is good. Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Split Sessions, upper body is very good, too.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 10:47 AM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

I would probably do a mix of Tracy Anderson Mat Workout, low-weight/hi-rep dumbell work, and more body weight exercises (or a workout that features a lot of these). But if you're injured in the lower body, a lot of body weight routines might be too balanced / put too much strain on the lower body, so then you might just swap in some more traditional weight work. So: the upper body section on Xtend Barre, TA's Mat Workout, TA's arm webisode (on youtube), TA's 5min GOOP Arms video (on youtube), Squeeze Stronger Upper Body premix, Squeeze Original (UB chapters), Ballet Body Upper Body (I've been eyeing this!), 30min Arm Burner (Tony Horton - the only one of his dvds I own), the Firm's 30min Arm Workout (I forget the exact name of it - it's a BBS video), maybe Jari's Slim and Lean arm chapters, and I really like the UB add-on on Cathe's Body Fusion.

I have somewhat long arms, but I get muscle / definition on them pretty easily. I'm lucky in this way. I think it's probably a good idea to assess whether you have particularly long or short arms because, from what I've read here, people with long arms have a hard time putting on bulk and tend to like their results from more low-weight/hi-rep stuff, while people with shorter arms may need to do more muscle building work in order to have their arms appear to have definition (the peaks and valleys look of someone with defined arms). This is just an observation though. As Jeanne said, it's probably best to do some experimenting to find what works for you.
Old 09-09-12, 11:42 AM  
hotncmom

Terri Walsh from the ART Method put out some upper body Youtube videos. There are 3 for the arms called "Batwing Blaster". I know in the first one she is sitting in a chair.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 12:09 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

This is a nice high-rep 10ming segment featuring Andrea Orbeck (of the Supermodel Workout): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPJn...feature=fvwrel
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 12:43 PM  
Elise7

The upper body in the orginial Cathe Body Max is pretty tough and efficient.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm definition, arms, chair dumbbell workouts, chair workouts, seated workouts, terri walsh