Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-12, 10:27 AM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
This one:
http://www.niashanks.com/2012/05/min...ample-workout/

Even with a good mobility warmup added on, I'm in and out of the gym in under an hour
I never heard of this. It looks great! She looks awesome too. I will probably buy this.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-12, 10:28 AM  
pharma_gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayleski View Post
THIS!!!

I'm currently doing Nia's "Beautiful Badass Beginner Program", and the thing that struck me when I was doing it was how well balanced it is, and SIMPLE, but not easy. I'm loving it.
Do you have to buy this?
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-12, 12:40 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I like STS Total Body, but I usually do the streamlined version that works only the large muscle groups. I will also skip the middle exercise in the various leg trisets in that workout. I find I get a good workout (that satisfies my needs) when I do this.

If I feel a workout has too much shoulder or chest work, I simply leave certain moves out.

I have the problem of not owning a squat rack or weighted vest, so I can't go real heavy for the lower body, but I don't really want to join a gym. Right now, I pay for a pool membership (it's hot here in fire country) and that's all I can manage.
Old 07-19-12, 01:15 PM  
Gayleski

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Do you have to buy this?
Yes, the particular BBA program that I'm doing is in her BBA ebook (the ebook has like 19 total programs). However, the beginner one I'm doing is very, very similar to the sample program in the link Sue B posted. Most of the exercises are the same, but set/rep ranges are a little different, and the one I'm doing has you doing planks on two days, instead of the walks/carries.

FWIW, I like her BBA ebook a lot.
Old 07-19-12, 01:34 PM  
zippity

Love P90X for balanced strength training; you do a lot of pushups but twice the number of pull ups if you do "Chest and Back" and "Legs and Back" in the same week. P90X2 is also very balanced.

I'd think STS could easily be streamlined to shorten the workout and add more back exercises.

Body Beast is very balanced (and Beasty).

UY is very balanced, and not just 'cause it's yoga. There's a lot of yogi pushups, but also wheel, bridge, chair, airplane, so many other poses that use the back muscles.
Old 07-19-12, 01:34 PM  
zippity

Quote:
This one:
http://www.niashanks.com/2012/05/min...ample-workout/

Even with a good mobility warmup added on, I'm in and out of the gym in under an hour
She does a fierce moonwalk too...
Old 07-19-12, 01:51 PM  
PeakFitness

I like doing different types of workouts, really mixing it up, like if I'm doing yoga (mostly front of the body) I could also do kb's, for the back of the body. Or if I'm doing barre, throw in some traditional workouts.
Old 07-19-12, 03:32 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayleski View Post
Yes, the particular BBA program that I'm doing is in her BBA ebook (the ebook has like 19 total programs). However, the beginner one I'm doing is very, very similar to the sample program in the link Sue B posted. Most of the exercises are the same, but set/rep ranges are a little different, and the one I'm doing has you doing planks on two days, instead of the walks/carries.

FWIW, I like her BBA ebook a lot.
Does it include a program that can be done at home, with no racks or cable machines? My gym membership will end next month, so I'd like to continue with something similar at home (I do have a barbell).

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-12, 07:48 AM  
Gayleski

Quote:
Does it include a program that can be done at home, with no racks or cable machines? My gym membership will end next month, so I'd like to continue with something similar at home (I do have a barbell).
IMO, all the programs can be done at home. I'm doing this at home, and I do have a have power rack, but I find that the only exercise I need it for is back squats, since I'm trying to go pretty heavy.

In the book, she mentions that she chose exercises that require the least amount of equipment. A barbell will get you started, and a rack would be nice to have later.

The main list of exercises use barbells or body weight, but she gives lots of exercise substitutions using dumbbells, kettlebells, etc.
Old 07-20-12, 06:10 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Thanks Gayle! Now I want that ebook.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
strength training, weight lifting, weight training, weights