Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-12, 08:17 PM  
kariev34

balanced strength training

So the cathe thread got me wondering, which strength training DVDs do you think are most balanced or how do you make sure your training is balanced throughout the week with exercise DVDs? It seems like most workouts overkill the shoulders. This has me questioning my new obsession, horizontal conditioning as it has a lot of pushups in it.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 08:42 PM  
isebelleg44

Lately I have rotating different types of strength workouts. Yesterday I did Cathe's STS Total Body and tomorrow I plan to do HC Vol 2. Last month I had fun rotating the phase one P90X2 workouts with traditional Cathe/KCM strength workouts.

I have been doing a lot of total body and haven't done any split routines since I finished my STS rotation back in May. And think I will shift my focus to splits the next couple of weeks.

Its hard to balance everything, but you know your body best and know what it can handle. Good luck!

Edited to add that I find Cathe STS Total Body, High Reps and Trisets the most balanced workouts I have. I also love Kelly's Split sessions.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 06:46 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

JMHO, the problem with many strength workouts isn't the exercises, it's way too much volume. I don't see the logic of 100+ curls or spending 45 minutes on arms and shoulders, unless you're a bodybuilder trying to go from ripped to super-ripped.

The paper workouts I'm doing have only 5 or 6 exercises per day and only around 24 reps (4x6 or 3x8) plus a finishing set of 10-15 reps. That's just plenty for me. I'm increasing my strength yet I can still walk the next day.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 06:47 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
JMHO, the problem with many strength workouts isn't the exercises, it's way too much volume. I don't see the logic of 100+ curls or spending 45 minutes on arms and shoulders, unless you're a bodybuilder trying to go from ripped to super-ripped.

The paper workouts I'm doing have only 5 or 6 exercises per day and only around 24 reps (4x6 or 3x8) plus a finishing set of 10-15 reps. That's just plenty for me. I'm increasing my strength yet I can still walk the next day.
Sounds great! What paper workouts are you doing?

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 07:02 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
Sounds great! What paper workouts are you doing?
This one:
http://www.niashanks.com/2012/05/min...ample-workout/

Even with a good mobility warmup added on, I'm in and out of the gym in under an hour

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 07-18-12, 09:47 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Sue:
I am starting Nia's program as well. It seems like it's put together well. Love all of the "Girls Gone Strong" crew- Nia, Neghar Fanooni, Marianne of MyomyTv, etc. I am taking a kettlebell workshop with Neghar on Saturday.
Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 10:03 PM  
princess76

Karen Voight & Jillian Michael's workouts make my back & shoulders feel better.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 10:37 PM  
saffron

Erin O'Brien (my new favourite instructor) has two balanced, intelligently-designed strength workouts.
I used to love Jari for strength, but no more - she kills the shoulders.

Here are links to reviews:

Strong Body, Ageless Body

Strong Body, Fit Body

I aim for 2-3 total body strength workouts per week.
saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-12, 08:38 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Sue:
I am starting Nia's program as well. It seems like it's put together well. Love all of the "Girls Gone Strong" crew- Nia, Neghar Fanooni, Marianne of MyomyTv, etc. I am taking a kettlebell workshop with Neghar on Saturday.
Leslie
Hi Leslie,
Lucky you, have a good time! I'm on the 4th week of this program, which means I've stuck with it longer than about 90% of other stuff I've tried.

Old 07-19-12, 08:44 AM  
Gayleski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
This one:
http://www.niashanks.com/2012/05/min...ample-workout/

Even with a good mobility warmup added on, I'm in and out of the gym in under an hour
THIS!!!

I'm currently doing Nia's "Beautiful Badass Beginner Program", and the thing that struck me when I was doing it was how well balanced it is, and SIMPLE, but not easy. I'm loving it.

Tags
strength training, weight lifting, weight training, weights