Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-11, 07:54 AM  
caligurl

i know you already said you were going to return your weights... but just wanted to add if you haven't returned them already... you do have a warranty on them and if you call selecttech they will send you new handles (which are most likely what the culprit are). when we bought ours we had issues with them and they had to replace both our handles... they've been fine since....
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 08:26 AM  
2ndgen

I am going lighter these days but also like to go heavy sometimes. I think both are good, whereas I used to be very hung up on only going heavy.

I think it is a personal choice. I choose to do both.
Old 09-05-11, 08:45 AM  
Tanja

As one ages, strength training is becoming MORE important,not less. Sarcopenia is the age-related loss of muscle mass with consequential reductions in muscle strength and power. It is the reason why so many elderly need assisted living - not because they are too sick to execute every day activities but because they are too weak.

Proper recovery and excellent nutrition are essential for strength training. Strength training tears down muscle and without proper nutrition and rest, the body experiences overuse injuries because it cannot rebuild the tissues correctly.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 08:59 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
As one ages, strength training is becoming MORE important,not less. Sarcopenia is the age-related loss of muscle mass with consequential reductions in muscle strength and power. It is the reason why so many elderly need assisted living - not because they are too sick to execute every day activities but because they are too weak.

Proper recovery and excellent nutrition are essential for strength training. Strength training tears down muscle and without proper nutrition and rest, the body experiences overuse injuries because it cannot rebuild the tissues correctly.
I agree with this. I don't think I could ever give up my heavy weights, but when I use them I try to pay more attention to recovery, that's the hard part for me. Over 50 here.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 09:07 AM  
Cowgirl32

It's weird I consider 15-20 lb's as "lifting heavy". And 5lbs and under as lifting "lighter".
Old 09-05-11, 09:09 AM  
Sara1000

Also over 50. I always wanted to have muscular arms but I don't build bulk easily. For years I lifted as heavy as possible. Then I strained something in my upper forearm doing STS and switched to hi rep light weight.

What has been surprising is I now have bigger muscles and more definition than when I was doing heavy weights. My theory is that women who don't gain muscle easily with heavy weights (ectomorphs I guess) gain better with lower weights.

It's sure a lot more fun!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 09:10 AM  
smissy

I just turned 55 and started lifting a couple of months ago. I have also lost 60 lbs this year (was never this heavy before...can't blame it all on menopause). I taught group fitness and lifted heavy in my 20s and 30s. I'm now at my "goal" weight; however, through body composition testing I need to gain muscle and lose fat. I know we can't talk "diet" on here, but getting enough quality protein and limiting starches along with weight training has maintained/added muscle and slowlyyy burning off the fat (takes a bit longer these days ).

My free weights range from 3-20lbs, and I have a Troy lite barbell. I don't think I'll ever lift heavier than that; but, who knows.

My Mother is 94 and lives in a retirement community. I see 90 year olds that are spry and 90 year olds that can hardly get around. They offer two fitness classes daily Monday-Friday that include, weight/band, country and ballroom dancing, sit and be fit (also uses weights), and balance classes. There is also a workout room with ellipticals, treadmills, and exercise bikes. My experience with my Mom and where she is living kicked my butt into gear this year. I've tried to persuade her to try a class, but she's convinced she's too old. I want to be one of those spry old ladies with a spring in her step!
smissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 09:12 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I have always done both!

As with anything, it doesn't have to be all one way. Mix it up!

I broke my right wrist in May and went 2 months without doing anything with my right arm. When the cast and then the brace came off, my arm was a stick. I mean it was awful!

My grip strength is what has suffered the most with being out of commission. I now have the strength in my wrist and arm to go heavy, but I can't quite grip the heavier dumbbells yet. For that reason, I am doing lighter weights and slowly moving back to heavy. It has now been about a month since I was able to start back working out, and my right arm is still a bit smaller than my left. It's going to take time.... but the moral to this story is that for me, I need both heavy and light.
Old 09-05-11, 09:43 AM  
Vee

I am over 40. I rarely go heavier than 25 lb dumbbells. I consider this my current "heavy" lifting. I would set the selecttechs at 20 or 25 (depending on what you use more) if i couldn't exchange them, and use them mostly at that weight in addition to the dumbbells ranging up to 15.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 09:50 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Nope! I might lose some strength as I get older, but I'm going to keep lifting as heavy as I can.

Recovery is important whether you lift light weights or heavy. You can get overuse injuries just from typing. And too many people are getting "underuse" injuries from just sitting around too much.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight training