Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-22, 03:04 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Beth, Google knows everything but I'm sure potassium would be high on the list to be searched. I was hospitalized for 8 days with no potassium before they put potassium retainers in BP meds. Now I have to be careful with potatoes, apricots and bananas. Because of the potassium retainers in my meds my potassium gets too high if I eat potassium rich foods. Potassium affects your heart among other things. After getting 4 boxes on Wednesday, the mailman brought 10 boxes yesterday. Mostly food with a little skincare thrown in. And catnip for her highness.

Yesterday when I grabbed Meow to stop her from going in the yard I twisted the spondylolisthesis in my spine. Later I almost dropped a bowl while trying to put it on the top shelf of the fridge. The shoulder got weak from lack of use because getting weak is what it does best since the surgery. I'll be doing PT exercises for the shoulder and spondy. I'll throw in some for the replaced hip and knee to make it a full body workout. Maybe someday everything will work properly and I'll never have to do PT exercises again. Sure, when pigs fly.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 07:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Linda, as we get older, it does seem like just when we get one part of our body to behave, another gets knocked out of whack. Enjoy your packages and take it easy!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 08:56 AM  
Margot

Happy Saturday

A quick fly by for me, as we're on our way out.

Yesterday's workouts:
- HealthBarre Challenge Day 10. Phew! I made it. I did a different long class and loved it. I'm glad I followed through, as I've noticed some real changes in my body in the last 10 days.
- JDG Square Pose - is it fire log pose? Not in my lifetime! My hips will just not cooperate.
- Neighbourhood walk
- Joelle's Seated Yoga for Hips - nice

This morning:
- NSD Dance Class. Always a real tonic for me. It was fun having new tracks to learn too.

Wishing everyone a very happy weekend.
Old 01-22-22, 09:45 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Margot, square pose is the same as firelog and double pigeon. Did you try it with the legs just crossed? Although I can stack my legs (with one knee up some), sometimes I prefer to do just the legs crossed version - when I do it that way and forward fold (which is what I did yesterday), I still get plenty of sensation in my hip. But I also like how Jose emphasizes that there's no need to do all of the yin poses; you can just find the ones that give you sensation.

Since I was off yesterday, I filmed a new video; it's a new one in my tutorial (VIP) series, this one on half pigeon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFqfTGjl3So&t=409s

Happy Saturday! Hope some of you are warm; apparently it's -2*F here.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-22-22, 11:31 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith Walk Strong 6 Week Total Transformation System (Upper Body Strength workout)
Beth's V.I.P. Yoga | HALF PIGEON POSE | Variations & Modifications

I've had Jessica's Walk Strong 6 Week Total Transformation System on my wish list for a long time and when I saw that it was on sale for 25% off, I bought it. This morning I did her Upper Body Strength workout and while I got a decent workout, I doubt I'll do that workout again. I wish each exercise had more reps rather than quickly changing to the next exercise. I didn't like that she had lower body moves with the upper body weight exercises, I prefer to focus my attention on upper body heavy weights rather than being distracted with lower body leg work during heavy upper body weight lifting. I don't care for forward bent over leaning split stance with heavy weight moves. I don't mean to be so negative but that is my honest opinion. I am spoiled by Margaret's style of weight work!

Beth, I liked your Half Pigeon Pose Yoga video--thank you!

Margot and Beth, I can't do square pose without one knee sticking up so I do legs crossed rather than square pose.

Beth, I'm laughing about Google spying on you. I've had that happen to me too. It's creepy, isn't it.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 12:38 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning!
The gang is getting ready to head out for the day, so I apologize for lack of personals.

Thursday:
~PT exercises
~2 rounds of moon salutations
~Walkabout, 12,000 steps

Yesterday:
~Hatha Flow class on the beach - This was a different group, there are several in the park, and the instructor had such a lovely vibe. I bought a 5 class card and plan to go most mornings next week.
~More walking, 17,000 steps

Margot - I looked at daughters of the moon, but not sure I’ll join.

Paine - Sorry WS3 was a disappointment for you!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 12:51 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Pam, your yoga on the beach sounds wonderful!
There are plenty of other workouts on Jessica's set so I'm sure there will be something I like.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 03:34 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, glad you liked the Half Pigeon tutorial! RE double pigeon, is it uncomfortable for you to have one knee up? It's not a problem unless it hurts you/bothers your knees. If there's no discomfort, you could do it that way and add a block, blanket, or pillow under the knee for support.

Pam, I've done yoga outside but never on the beach; hopefully some day!

Workout-wise, I've been doing Lift with Cee more often. I started her 40-4-40 program this week, doing the first on Wednesday and the second today. I've also been working short videos from the challenge on the Barre Fitness channel as well as light arms work.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-22-22, 05:17 PM  
cyana

Happy Week-end! It was chilly this AM, so I wore my fleece-lined tights to the farmer's market with thermal underwear underneath. I felt like a Roly-Poly with all the layers! The only new thing we got today was a bison rib-eye. I worked 13 hours yesterday, so I'm feeling very much in stiff old lady mode today. How do you cold weather girls keep your feet warm while you're outside in winter? I've been wearing two pairs of socks and all that is doing it making my shoes too tight in the toes.

Margot - I've never enjoyed fire log pose - even before my hip got all wonky and now it absolutely wouldn't be a happening thing. Several years ago, we had a sub at the local yoga studio, and she used some blankets to get me into a fairly decent fire log but I was never able to re-create it at home. The tiny donkey sounds precious.

Beth - I don't use Google as it gives me the creeps! You'd asked about 7 Minutes of Magic and the hip - the AM practice has a number of poses that I think are helpful. The two that I think are probably most important for me is where you go from mountain pose to Cobra (repeated several times) and forward fold to warrior 1/lunge and then back to forward fold (twice on each side). Because I sit so much, opening up the front of the body seems to be especially important. The forward fold to lunge/warrior 1 back to forward fold employs strength, stretch and balance and I need them all.

Pam - I hope you enjoy your class pass for yoga under the palms - I'll be with you in spirit.

Sandra - I hope you're continuing to improve each day. I'm thinking Essentrics with Sahra on the beach (BSS #1) might be a good option for these chilly mornings. Have you done Jessica's stretch YT practice that she mentioned in her recent email? I haven't had a chance to check that out.

Paine - I haven't done Armatics Taster in years. It's amazing how things like that and Swan Arms can be so humbling! The first time I did both I was afraid my arms were going to fall off, LOL. I was always impressed that you did Armatics with those weights all the way through. I should dig out one of Jessica's outdoor videos for some additional mental warming on these cold days.

Linda - My left knee is sending sympathy vibes to your spine. I was going out to water the plants on the front porch a couple of days ago and the cat was acting like me wanted to go out the door. I quickly grabbed the door and accidentally smacked the heck out of my knee. Not sure why he's suddenly become pre-occupied with that particular door. I'm glad you got all of your packages.

Pat - OMG - girdles and garter belts. I remember the days before pantyhose very well, I'm afraid. Pantyhose were like the eighth wonder of the world back in the day! Don't you have Nourishing Meals (Ali Segersten and her DH is Tom Maltere - The Elimination Diet)? I recently got an email from Ali after several years of total silence. I knew she'd gone back to school. She's updated the web site and now you can subscribe and she'll provide meal plans and shopping lists for all sorts of eating plans. It's a little pricey, but if you used it regularly, it would potentially pay for itself through reduced food waste, etc.

Carolyn - I'm jealous of your bike ride! I'm hoping to take my dusty (literally) bike out before too much longer and get it tuned up and ready to ride as soon as the temps are a bit more friendly. There are many sick people here, too - our recycling was pushed back a day due to staff illnesses.

Must run - enjoy the rest of your week-end!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 12:18 AM  
JustSandra

Hi everyone!

No workout yesterday as Friday is my "off" day.

Today's Workout: Continuing my stretch/yoga plan for the rest of January, I did the Flexibility and Relaxation routine from Jessica Smith's Gentle Yoga Stretch DVD. Very nice, just what I needed.

I'm about 90% over my cold! Nice to start feeling more human again.

Beth and Cyana: Ooh, just reading your posts makes me shiver! Cyana, I'm not sure which Jessica stretch you are referring to. Is it her new mobility one? I did do that and liked it.

Paine: Sorry you didn't care for Jessica's upper body routine on the original Walk Strong. I'm sure you'll find several others you like, though! I enjoy the lower body and total body routines, the barefoot workout, 360 abs, and prehab.

Linda: Sorry you tweaked your back and your shoulder! I agree with what our Beth said -- once we get one body part back in line, another decides to go out on us.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote