Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-21, 07:51 AM  
sherry7899

strength training question

I was wondering if anyone does the same strength training workout twice a week for a few weeks? I am curious about strength gains if I stick to the same workout. I really like Cathe's ICE Metabolic workout since it does not use a step. Are there any drawbacks to keeping to the same workout for awhile?

I also enjoy body pump (have the beachbody set) but some days I am not in the mood to drag out my step.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 08:23 AM  
Bearybuff

Yes, I do and I’ve increased poundage until I could match Cathe. I work out for health.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 08:26 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearybuff View Post
Yes, I do and I’ve increased poundage until I could match Cathe. I work out for health.
Thank you! I am working out for health, not appearance.

laurajhawk

I've done that with Get Fit at 40+, and a long time ago with a workout from a book. I like seeing the improvement over time, and I get to where I don't have to think much about the moves so it is almost meditative.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
alisoncooks

I think it's a good idea.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 08:38 AM  
donnamp

I agree - I think it would be a good way of measuring progress over time. I think sometimes all the choices we have tend to make things more complicated for us!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 08:47 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I agree - I think it would be a good way of measuring progress over time. I think sometimes all the choices we have tend to make things more complicated for us!

Donna
Exactly!

Old 09-21-21, 09:26 AM  
Leonana

I usually get my best results doing a rotation, which is the same strength workouts over six to eight weeks. I haven’t tried just one, but I would think it would also work.
Old 09-21-21, 09:36 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

After a long hiatus, I wanted a workout plan that would help me gain strength in a systematic manner. I chose a workout plan from the book Ultimate You by Joe Dowdell. It is similar to the NROL books, but it starts out easier and progresses more slowly. Also the illustrations in the book are better. You don't have to constantly flip pages. Each exercise has a full page of its own

I am now on my 1st week of phase 2 after 4 wks of phase 1. I do total body strength at least twice a week, 3 times if I can fit it in. Granted, I started out quite light in weights so I progressed quickly. I'll have to see how I progress now that I'm using heavier weights and fewer reps, but I made definite improvements in strength.

There is a cardio component to the plan that involves Hiit, but I've been doing regular cardio for about 45 minutes 2X/wk.

I think the main thing is to pick something that you enjoy enough to stick with. You can do slight variations but stay with the main exercises in the plan. Also chart your workouts. It is satisfying to look over the progress you've made.
Old 09-21-21, 01:47 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I think the main thing is to pick something that you enjoy enough to stick with. You can do slight variations but stay with the main exercises in the plan. Also chart your workouts. It is satisfying to look over the progress you've made.
This^^ ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)ᕗ

Go get it, Sherry!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
total body strength, weight training