Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-21, 08:44 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Upper Body Chair Workouts (after knee surgery)?

I'm having my second knee replacement surgery at the end of the month (this is good news). I've been down this path before so I know what the recovery is like but this time I'd like to focus on my upper body, doing chair workouts, while early in the recovery process. I've been neglecting upper body work lately Does anyone have any suggestions of upper body workouts that can be done entirely sitting in a chair? DVD or Youtube is fine.

Tamilee's IWTB Arms (segment two I think) is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Even it would have to be adapted as I think it has tricep dips which I wouldn't be able to do.

I'm trying to remember if any of my stability ball workout segments just involve sitting on the stability ball (where I could use a chair instead) or if all involve some reclining.
Old 04-08-21, 09:25 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

These are from a youtube search on upper body seated weights workout:

Bodyfit by Amy 14 Min BodySit Seated Dumbbell Chair Workout: Sitting Down Exercises with Weights for Strength

20 Minute At Home Seated Upper Body Workout with Weights She has other seated upper body workouts, too.

Tracy Steen Seated Chair Workout | Lower Body Injury Workout This one looks a bit more advanced. She uses bands and more than one pair of dumbbells. In the description, she lists the exercises. Good music.

Best wishes on your recovery!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 10:13 AM  
alisoncooks

I quite like Jane Adams arm workout from Balance & Strength. It's only 12 minutes long, but I add it to other short segments.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 10:47 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
Man, I actually have both of these on my Youtube spreadsheet of workouts. Good tip!
Old 04-08-21, 10:58 AM  
sbh

I really like Margaret Richard's Getting Better. Sometimes my back acts up and I have to sit. This one is really good.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 11:00 AM  
susand

what about the chair boxing and chair salsa workouts with david stamps? they have those on amazon, i have the chair boxing but must confess to never having used it yet.
btw i may be headed down the same path with my left knee.
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 11:13 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
I really like Margaret Richard's Getting Better. Sometimes my back acts up and I have to sit. This one is really good.
Hmm. I have Fight Age with Strength and All My Best, but not Getting Better.
Old 04-08-21, 11:15 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

During a particularly bad phase of plantar fasciitis I had a YouTube rotation with seated workouts from Pahla B, Jessica Smith and Adrian Bryant (especially his bedsheet workouts).

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 11:35 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Rachel Gulotta Fitness Sitting UPPER BODY Workout (on couch or bed while watching NETFLIX!) (Arms, Back, + Chest!) The instructor is completely silent in this one.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 03:35 PM  
bfit

I recently did a lot of chair workouts because of a broken foot. For upper body I did not use any workouts specifically designed for a chair, but I found that most of the Barlates upper body workouts can easily be done in a chair instead of standing or sitting on the floor as she usually does. A lot of the more traditional Cathe weight workouts (like Slow and Heavy) can also be done in a chair. I also did boxing workouts in the chair, sometimes with weighted gloves. A good one for that is KCM Trim Down that has intervals of boxing (with very little kicking) and intervals of weights that you can adapt to the chair. Finally, there is an instructor on You Tube called Paul Eugene who does a lot of chair workouts. There is a boxing one and some toning ones. They are not very difficult, but they are fun.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chair dumbbell workouts, chair workouts, fight age with strength, knee surgery, seated workouts, trim down, upper body cardio