Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-11, 11:38 AM  
yahoo205

If you are overweight then everything is "heavy weight"

ok maybe not "heavy", but i avoid 20 lb weights, but i'm carrying at least that in extra weight.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 01:00 PM  
Hej

I think what's "heavy weight" depends on your strength, not on your body weight per se. You could have two people of the same body weight doing the same exercises that would consider different extra poundage "heavy" for them.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 01:41 PM  
EnglishIvy

I've noticed that for body weight exercises, even a small amount of weight gain makes a huge difference in my performance. Just being 10lbs lighter, push-ups seem like so much less effort. When my legs are leaner, floor work is less intense. It's not that I can't train and get strong enough to over-come the extra weight, but I really notice the difference.

My sister is extremely thin. She won't workout for fear of bulk. With no prior training, she accepted a bet and competed in a push-up contest. She smoked several "athlete types" and I have no doubt her low weight contributed to her win.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 02:04 PM  
daisysunshine

EnglishIvy exactly.

Body Weight is where I go to for strength, but the lighter I get, is the easier some moves become.

Though I can't lift heavy. I have the weakest arms known to man. even 2lbs hurts my shoulders LOL

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 02:39 PM  
jessicavi

WARNING: Possible TMI.

I am a very bootilicious pear. I have found doing pushups takes major effort. When I do them, I can feel my butt literally pushing me into the ground. I think that's one of the reasons I also don't sleep on my stomach. I have always beem puzzled about why climbing stairs and high impact always makes me breathless really quick. As I'm writing this, I just realized that it's b/c I literally have to drag my butt around. My butt is the butt of my existance. Butt at least I don't have any back problems probably b/c I'm wearing my back pack very low.
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 03:08 PM  
slysam

I guess so, but larger people naturally have larger muscles and often are quite strong. I can think of a lot of heavier people who are very strong and it seems to be a benefit to get as strong as you can be (for everyone) but especially if your muscles are carrying extra weight. I think the amount of weight you can lift does depend more on strength than body weight and it improves quite quickly with a progressive program. Weight or how it is distributed can be a disadvantage for body weight exercises and anyone who has lost weight while doing them probably notices the exercises getting easier as weight decreases (though fitness and strength are increasing too).
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 09:58 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Yeah, and I figure the ta-ta's are a couple of pounds apiece, too.

Everything is harder for me when my weight is 10 pounds up. My sister is close to 100 pounds overweight. I just can't imagine what that is like to carry around.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 10:02 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
My sister is extremely thin. She won't workout for fear of bulk. With no prior training, she accepted a bet and competed in a push-up contest. She smoked several "athlete types" and I have no doubt her low weight contributed to her win.
Which may help explain Kelly Ripa's pushup contest win, at least in part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liz575Ot1Wc
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heavy, weight training