Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-18, 05:06 AM  
IceQueen07

Yoga

I want to learn to like yoga, I know it is good for flexibility and stress relief, both which I really need. I think I haven't liked it too much because I haven't found a video which really breaks down and teaches the poses so that you are getting the most out of it and is not bland and boring. I am looking for suggestions for a beginners yoga dvd that are good at teaching me correct positioning and poses and doesn't want to put me to sleep with it being boring.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 10:18 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I don't know if you are at all interested in streaming.
CodyApp has a 7 day trial and they have many yoga plans to try.
My favorite beginner is Daniel Scott Yoga Basics. It is not really a practice but a lot of ideas and short practices and hints put together. I love this one as he is really trying to get you to know what works for your body and not to make it too serious. Love this one.

There are several more that I like that are not too advanced. They rate them beginner, moderate, intermediate, and advanced. I am usually beginner to intermediate depending on the level.

I also enjoy Briohny Smyth (moderate), Erin Kelly (moderate to int), Elvis Garcia (beginner to moderate).

I will be curious what others say as well.
Old 04-15-18, 10:25 AM  
Sollamyn

I can't really judge what you would find boring, but for me, Rodney Yee really does a great job of breaking things down (to the tiniest detail, sometimes!) and I always seem to learn a lot each time I do one of his videos--so I find them interesting. I would recommend "For Complete Beginners," "AM Yoga for Your Week," and "For Energy and Stress Relief." This last one uses props some of the time (a chair mostly) and most of the practices are very relaxing and soothing.

HTH,
Donna
Old 04-15-18, 10:36 AM  
Dabbadooey

Are you able to attend a live class in a studio? I think that is the best way to start out with yoga. If not, I second the Rodney Yee suggestion.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 10:39 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
Are you able to attend a live class in a studio? I think that is the best way to start out with yoga. If not, I second the Rodney Yee suggestion.
Yes, a few beginner yoga classes are a really good idea!
There's also lots of yoga on YouTube if you search for "beginner yoga". Rodney has some nice practices on YouTube.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 10:50 AM  
Hsim

I would second Rodney Yee Beginners. It has a pose library where he shows the poses. I sometimes add a block of 4 or 5 poses after my regular workout to develop good form.
I have to admit that I find him rather boring too but he is a good teacher.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 11:01 AM  
IceQueen07

Thank you for all the suggestions, I am going to look at all of them. Maybe one will click with me. I thought about trying to find a class, but I always feel intimidated going to a class, I know weird, but that's why I mainly stick with dvds or streaming.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 11:59 AM  
bubbles76

I started off with the Yoga Zones led by Alan Finger. I feel those are excellent for break downs.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 12:31 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions, I am going to look at all of them. Maybe one will click with me. I thought about trying to find a class, but I always feel intimidated going to a class, I know weird, but that's why I mainly stick with dvds or streaming.
Do you have any local friends who do yoga at a studio? I am completely with you on the being intimidated, but if a friend could recommend a good class/teacher, it might take out some of the intimidation factor. I have a friend who teaches, and I love taking her classes when I can, because I know they are really low key and no intimidation, but.... I would go to any class she recommended, too, because I trust her judgement.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 01:17 PM  
marki64

This is a timely topic Ice Queen, I am doing a 30 minute yoga/pilates video class at work during lunch a couple time a month, and I am looking for the same thing. I like Karen Voight's Yoga Sculpt. Just did Jessica Smith's Beginner Yoga. I think it is Gentle Yoga for Balance Flexibility and Mobility. There are 3 or 4, 20 min. Segments. Everyone seemed to like it. I like Karen Voight better though. Some found her too challenging. I thought it was perfect and I haven't done very much yoga in my life.

I have a few waiting for me at the library, so I will be checking these out soon. I am interested in hearing more suggestions.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote