Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-23, 03:38 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Flashback: were you part of the running craze of the 70s?

My answer: By association, I was. 3 of my brothers and 2 of my uncles were into marathon running. i tagged along when they trained at a local park. At this local park, a cardiologist named Jack Scaff MD did a short talk for 15 min and then everyone ran a 3, 5 or 8 mile run nearby. i ran in a few fun-runs, several relays, and did my first half marathon in the 90s!

Nike waffle shoes were much desired in the late 70s. I made a deal with my uncle that if i cleaned his house a few times, he'd buy me a pair of women's waffle running shoes. my uncles and brothers owned pairs of the famous blue background with the yellow swoosh. The women's version was designed with a yellow background with blue swoosh at $36.

I was reminded of this the other day when I went to see the film "Air" about Nike's deal with Michael Jordan in the mid-80s to sponsor him with their development of the Air Jordan shoes. It's true - Nike was not known for basketball shoes back then - totally unheard of at the time.

The film brought back a lot of nice memories of the 80s - the clothing, office furnishings, and the music!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-23, 07:29 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I guess I was involved by association as well. I was in elementary school in the 70s, and a few teachers were really avid runners. They organized a running program for the whole school. I think it helped lay some good life-long healthy habits. I still run - signed up for a race next month.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-23, 07:42 PM  
Leonana

Not really. I did take running as a PE class to get a college credit. It was during summer school in 1981 before my senior year. I wasn’t very good and didn’t have much endurance. Even the girl with asthma was faster than me lol.
Old 04-29-23, 08:47 PM  
fatkat555

I ran track in high school so yes, I was.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-23, 09:18 PM  
Karyn
VF Supporter

For 2 years and hated every minute of it. Finally gave myself permission to quit!
Karyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-23, 07:50 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I did take running as a PE class to get a college credit.
I was, and this is how I got started. I ran with Nike for a while but graduated to Saucony in the 80's. I jammed up my knee in the early 90's and had to stop running. That's when I found the Firm and some Rodney Yee yoga tapes.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-23, 08:00 AM  
donellda

I was in track in high school in the 70s. I was a sprinter and hated long distance running. I still hate long distance running.
Old 04-30-23, 11:40 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I was, and this is how I got started. I ran with Nike for a while but graduated to Saucony in the 80's. I jammed up my knee in the early 90's and had to stop running. That's when I found the Firm and some Rodney Yee yoga tapes.
I alternated with Brooks, New Balance, Asics and Avia in the 80s and 90s, and back to Nike since the 90s.

Right before my kids were born, I wanted to work out early in the morning, but didn't want to go running because it was too dark outside. That's when I started exploring different workout videos, particularly Step since it gave me the intensity I was looking for.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-23, 11:47 AM  
sherry7899

Not at all. I was born in 1969.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-23, 03:40 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Nope. Running has never appealed to me, and that’s fortunate since it’s no longer recommended for me to do it.

I remember it being more of a “jogging” craze complete with velour track suits….

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jim fixx, nike, running