Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-25-21, 12:01 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I also tracked down my favorite massage therapist and scheduled an appointment with her in October. I am looking forward to that!
Carol
Carol, that's so awesome! I'm still on cloud nine from my massage and I'm already thinking of having another one. I feel so good after getting it. I have no aches or pains whatsoever and what's not to like about that? So worth it!
Old 09-25-21, 09:57 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday afternoon Summer (that is my Golden) and I took a walk on my lunch break. I'm hoping to keep this up now that the weather is cooler and it is my less busy, but still busy season.

Today, so far has been:

Walk w/ DH
Jessica Valent -Full Body Foam Roller - which was a Pilates workout using the roller as a prop.

So, I think I will most likely stick with Jessica V's calendar for next week and possibly next month. The way she sets up her calendar makes things very doable and I think a good place to get re-started with some strength work.

Carol - I was a little afraid that the Get Healthy U rotation would be more than what I was looking for! I would love to see the calendar if you don't mind! I guess I cant' view it b/c I'm not a member. Her site really is a bargain for the price, I just don't want to end up w/ a subscription I don't use.
I hope you enjoy the massage.
I am supposed to get the Shringrix vaccine, but I'm a bit hesitant b/c of the side effects. I'm not sure if I will go for it or not. From what I understand, the first shot isn't bad, it is the 2nd one that people react to.

Pam - I love your workout mixes! And yes, being too thin after a certain age seems to accelerate the appearance of aging. I gained somewhere between 5 and 10 lbs over the last year or so - it was probably needed b/c I had lost weight in the prior years.

Dana - That is great that you felt so good after the massage!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 10:16 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

I've decided to take a rest day today, so I'll try that pilates workout tomorrow and will report back.

Carol, I'm really interested to know if you have any side effects from the shingles vaccine. I had shingles on my arm about 3 years ago and even though it was a mild case, I sure don't want to get it again. My SiL had her 2nd shot recently and she was feeling really bad for at least 2-3 days. I need to get vaccinated but now I'm spooked by her experience.

Donna, I agree that Chris' membership prices are a real bargain but when I was a member, I found myself doing the same few workouts so I just bought the set and pull it out whenever I want to. I'm planning to cancel some subscription by the end of the year and use my DVDs more. Sometimes my internet connection can be spotty in my workout room and DVD are often more reliable.

Waves to Linda, Pam and Brenda!
Old 09-25-21, 01:30 PM  
donnamp

Dana - I had Shingles as well - in 2019. I react to just about every vaccine, so I'm a little worried about getting it. A friend of ours had a really bad reaction to the first one -so bad, the dr. told him not to get the 2nd one.

So, I'm on the fence. I know you can get Shingles more than once, but I'm also wondering how likely it is?

I am sure mine was brought on by stress.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 02:17 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I just ended up with a really sore arm, much like my first covid vaccine. I think I will plan on taking my second dose over the Christmas break so I can crash if necessary. Either then or the three day weekend of MLK Day in January. Since there's a 2 month to 6 month window for the second dose, I've got a lot of options.

I don't normally have very severe vaccine side effects - the second covid shot was really the first one I had ever had.

Exercise-wise, I'll probably take it easy today.

Donna - for some reason I'm thinking that you are more likely to have a reoccurrence of shingles once you've had a case of it, but I'm not sure about that. I'll send you that rotation.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 08:11 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Saturday's workouts were

Trifecta Pilates - Lower Body Flow - 15 minutes & Gentle Pilates Class - 25 minutes

I liked both of these classes by Beth. I think I like her! I really like the layout of her website and her streaming, which I've subscribed to for a month. Quite a few "beginner" classes which I seem to need in pilates since I am a perpetual beginner.

I've been a little tired tonight, but nothing like the CoVid vaccine reaction. My arm is still very sore.

Carol
Old 09-25-21, 09:10 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts:
~Got in 7,000 steps cleaning & organizing for overnight guests tomorrow.
~The Balanced Life Refresh & Reset Challenge: Day 5 - I enjoyed this challenge but I’m not inclined to join her sisterhood at this point.
~PT exercises
~MELT: hips, pelvis, thighs
~yin supported fish pose & upper back acupressure (aka dowagers hump prevention)

I had the Shingrix vaccine last year. My arm was a bit sore & I had a low back ache for a couple of days, nothing major and nothing like the second Covid vaccine. I felt awful after that one for a couple of days, kinda like I’d been hit my a truck.

Carol - Oh a massage is definitely something to look forward to!

Donna - I remember on one of the the other check ins that you had major work stress a while back.

Dana - A good massage feels so nice! I need to look for a new MT. The one I used to go to doesn’t have a good covid protocol in place.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 07:54 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Today’s workouts:

I had the Shingrix vaccine last year. My arm was a bit sore & I had a low back ache for a couple of days, nothing major and nothing like the second Covid vaccine. I felt awful after that one for a couple of days, kinda like I’d been hit my a truck.

Interesting that you mentioned low back pain - I'm experiencing that this morning - although that happens with my back somewhat regularly anyway.

The second CoVid vaccine also made me feel like I had been run over repeatedly by a truck. I missed 2 days of work and also laid on the couch all weekend to recover. I can't remember the last time I missed work for illness. It's been years and years. Hoping the booster - when it comes - isn't like that - although I would still take it even if it was.

I have read that the Moderna vaccine had about 3 times the mRNA in it as compared with the Pfizer vaccine and that's why folks who took the Moderna vaccination tended to have more side effects.

And yes, I am looking forward to my massage. The last one I had scheduled with this gal was the week in March of the initial shutdowns. We rescheduled for May thinking everything would be back open by then, but they were not. After that, I just gave up.

Carol
Old 09-26-21, 08:24 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Walking Cardio Shape Up - 45min. This was a DVD that Chris Freytag did for Exercise TV. It's also available for free on youtube.
Leslie 1 Miracle Mile - 15min.

Neither of the workouts were planned for today. I was looking at youtube while drinking coffee this morning and came across this Chris's workout. It looked good to me so I decided to go with it. I have it on DVD. I don't know why I also ended up doing Leslie 1 mile walk, but I did it. I'll probably get to the pilates dvd tomorrow.

Thanks Carol and Pam for sharing your experience with shingles vaccine. I'm rapidly losing interest in getting it even though I should.

I hear you Donna about getting flu shot first, but again, I'm very reluctant about getting one. I've had flu vaccine twice in my life (last time about 8 years ago) and had bad side effects so I haven't gotten one since. I've been lucky because I haven't had as much as a cold let alone flu for at least that long.

I hope everyone has a great day! Waves to all!
Old 09-26-21, 05:48 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Sunday's workouts were

Trifecta Pilates - Pilates Arms Workout - 15 minutes & Back Mobility Routine - 15 minutes

I enjoyed both of these classes. The arms workout was a pleasant surprise - often most pilates arm work is done on the hands, which is not a happy place for me, but although there was some work on the hands, Beth interspersed it with other exercises not on the hands. I felt pleasantly worked out at the end. I also liked that it would have been very easy to add light hands weights to this routine.

The Back Mobility workout was articulating the spine and stretches. Not rocket science but definitely needed.

Dana - Don't let a few side effects scare you off. Shingles is no joke and you don't want it.

Carol

Tags
bobandbrad