Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-25-21, 09:24 AM  
ChelePA

And does anyone else find it uncomfortable to have their hands on the dumbbells while in plank position?
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 10:33 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
And does anyone else find it uncomfortable to have their hands on the dumbbells while in plank position?
ME, ME, ME (waves wildly over here). I HATE that move and always, always modify with my hands on the ground and just pick up the dumbbells when needed.

How did you bruise yourself??

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 10:45 AM  
Garrie A.

Hi all! Yes, I'm still here.

I decided to give a P90X rotation a go. Currently I'm in Week 2, and today is Yoga X. Thanks to STS, I'm able to go fairly heavy--35-40 lbs. for back work, 8-25 lbs. for shoulder work, 15-22.5 lbs. for bicep work, and 15-17.5 lbs. for tricep work. And with the exception of the diamond push-ups, I never drop to my knees on the push-ups in Chest & Back. (That workout makes me feel like I can conquer the world!!) I'm enjoying it so far, although I do plan on subbing the cardio here and there (as I mentioned earlier, I'm not giving up step for 13 weeks, and I have spin bike that's gathering dust).

Monday I also taught a step class. I debuted a double step class last week, and the students absolutely loved it! This week I had three newbies who hadn't done step in years (let alone double step). I teach tapless step (no tap down between moves), and noticed that several times the newbies wanted to tap down on certain moves. To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only one who teaches tapless choreography at the gym I teach at.

Anyways! I also get my first COVID shot this afternoon after work. And I'm glad to see some sunshine and warmer temperatures although it's supposed to cool down and be rainy this weekend.

Linda: Your cowbells were priceless and worth the wait!

Kittybug: I have EBE 2 but haven't done a rotation of it yet. Jen/2lazy4gym's "STS Rock Bottom" rotation looks good, but it has too much cardio for me. I've even thought of hybriding EBE2 and barre workouts with Body Beast for my own glute-focused rotation. While I'm enjoying P90X, I'm a little nervous that my bum will turn into a pancake and/or fly south afterwards (even though I do feel Legs & Back in my glutes the next day).

Cataddict: on the calf! I suggest getting it checked out. LOL at DH's comment!

ChelePA: Yes! I hate doing planks holding onto dumbbells. Me having small hands doesn't help much either. So I have to put one hand on the floor.

Kim: I have too many DVDs and VHS to count. And please don't get me started on toys!

Horusosiris: I got to meet Steve Feinberg at a fitness convention last year. I signed up for a "Boxing Bootcamp" session that he led. That morning while heading down from my hotel room, I caught him in the elevator and we briefly chatted (he seemed down-to-business but friendly too). I was a bit drained when it was time for his session, so I had to wing it. During class his personality was a 180 degree opposite from the Cardio Karate DVD and our brief elevator meeting. He reminded me of Gin Miller with his voice impersonations and jokes, yet still being focused on the workout at hand. That said, meeting Keli Roberts during the convention was the big highlight for me.

Will chat more later. Waves everyone!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 10:51 AM  
ChelePA

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
ME, ME, ME (waves wildly over here). I HATE that move and always, always modify with my hands on the ground and just pick up the dumbbells when needed.

How did you bruise yourself??
It’s almost embarrassing to tell you. I was doing the foam roller and I was on my side. It was under my arm near my ribs. Winston went to get some thing that I didn’t want him to have. When I reached for him, all my weight was completely on that section of my rib area since I lifted my legs and arms up at the same time in response—Hard to explain, but boy did it hurt. I’m still feeling it on that side. It was the angle and location. Sensitive area. And my foam roller is not soft.

I also started modifying that move and just putting my hands on the floor with my weights nearby
Old 02-25-21, 11:03 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Nope, makes perfect sense, ChelePA, and sounds like something I would do/have done too! Ouch, hope it heals up soon, as that is indeed a very tender area!

Garrie! I love the idea of combining barre with the EBE 2! I've been staring at the pile, and I do mean huge pile, of barre workouts I haven't touched in ages. Hmmm......

Old 02-25-21, 02:33 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Ouch, Chele, that sounds very painful! And also like something I might manage to do.

cataddict, I also laughed out loud at the dessert comment! So funny! But I beg your pardon..... you cannot feel old if you did those dragging pushups on the gliding discs!!! I did regular pushups -- some modifications, I think I mentioned! I hope your calf feels better soon -- do be careful with it! I'm sorry the walk was so miserable.

Yes, Kim, I meant maybe you could pick up Edge Booty 1..... but now you don't need to. Ha! We should at least synchronize a couple of workouts if not a whole rotation, but it is an interesting idea to combine with barre! There might be a lot of painful sitting in that rotation!

Oh, and the cage thing we have.... it's probably not as fancy as one at a gym, but it is big and allows for way more than the Turbo Tower. We got it fairly cheap when someone we know was moving to Mexico.

This morning I wanted to do yoga but it ended up being pretty easy -- almost feel like a rest day. Hoping I might get out for a walk later. It's been gorgeous here but crazy windy! I'm glad to hear it's warming up for many of you! The yoga I did was a Michael Stebbins on Udaya. It was listed as level 2 but I think it should be a one. When I first started on Udaya I remember being impressed with how accurate their ratings seem but recently they seem off to me.

Waves to all!
Old 02-25-21, 03:06 PM  
horusosiris

Hello and Waves to All!

Today was Cathe Live 336-Low Impact Compound Cardio Upper Body The workout had a low impact cardio segment followed by compound upper body (4 rounds of different cardio and weight exercises). For the second half, Cathe repeated just the weight exercises. You could make this an express workout by doing just the first half or continuing onto the second half. It was very easy, even by Cathe standards. I am continuing on with my ES paper workouts. Today is a lower body day.

Garrie- That was so cool that you got to meet Steve Feinberg.
Meeting someone in person can be so different than their spotlight persona. I am glad you enjoyed meeting him.

Garrie
– Congrats on your Covid vaccine. For me the first one was a piece of cake- just a sore injection site. With the second vaccine, I had mild body aches, chills, joint pain and malaise. It began after 24 hours and persisted for about two days. Oh! just the mention of sunshine and warm weather makes me happy. I cannot wait either! I love double step! I think it is so much fun. I have done double step with a partner (sharing one of the same steps). I love complex choreography with double step. This is one class that I have missed since the pandemic.

Chel- I too find it uncomfortable n to have my hands on dumbbells while doing planks. So sorry. I hope your bruise heals soon!

Manelym and Mickey
– Ingrid Romero. I have all of the Ingrid Romero sets. The workouts are good but as you mentioned the “over the top" personalities (and sometimes their outfits) prevented me from doing them too often. I am jealous- 70 degrees! Can you send some sunshine here?

Kate, Garrie and Kittybug Glad you are enjoying the Katami 4 x4 workouts. I never could complete an entire rotation but I do use individual workouts when my rotation calls for a metabolic workout. I have used his foam rolling and rope workout the most.

Bee- Book clubs are fun. It introduces me to books that I would not ordinarily read.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 03:58 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Still battling the calf issue. It's more annoying than anything else. I know the answer is just to stay off of it for a bit but I'm concerned about maintaining mobility. Anyhoo I am going to give it through the weekend to heal before I do anything further. I did the upper body workout yesterday pain free so I might try the newest Cathe Live today, particularly since it seems to be easy, according to our personal reviewer, horusosiris I really appreciate getting some feedback on the Lives! It's so helpful when choosing which one to do. Next week I hope to get back to 4 x 4 and pretty much start over with Change 1.

horusosiris, thanks for the feedback on the second Covid shot. I had heard that the second one is worse since the body is reacting to already having the first one. I'm going back for dose 2 on March 18th so I'll be prepared. I'm now more than 24 hours past my first shot and no side effects at all. I think the arm work I did afterwards did help and I drank a ton of water. I'm also encouraged at the newest study results concerning the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine since that's the one I got.

bee, when you mentioned the "cage thing" that you have the first thing I thought of was cage fighting. I pictured you and your husband inside the cage punching and kicking. It's great you found a good home for your Turbo Tower. It was great to use during STS and I plan to use it more as a barbell holder.

Chele, Garrie, FN1 and horusosiris, we are all in agreement about holding barbells in plank position or to do pushups! I never do it and also use the floor and grab the dumbbell if needed for rows or triceps. It is definitely not "easier on the wrist" for me---it's harder.

Garrie, glad you are still here! I know you've been busy. And time flies for sure. That's cool that you got to meet Steve Feinberg AND Keli Roberts! I've got his CK workout on my list to try. It seems the CK instructors may have been coached to present a certain demeanor in those workouts.

Chele, I'm glad your husband got to visit his mother. Even in the days prior to Covid, we just never know what can happen in life and need to cherish our loved ones.

FN1, glad you are enjoying 4 x 4! He is one of those instructors that kills you while smiling and encouraging without yelling (looking at you too, Patrick G!). I'm anxious to re-start the set, but I am determined not to overdo it and make my injury worse.

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience

Last edited by cataddict; 02-25-21 at 03:59 PM. Reason: clarity
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 07:22 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Watulan Yogis who like Travis, I tried his 90-minute "Humble Warrior" practice on YouTube today and loved it! More poses, some held MUCH longer, some pretty challenging sequencing, very thorough overall practice. I had the extra time and have been wanting a longer practice, so this was perfect.

Horusosiris, thank you for the Live report, as always! I thought that one looked good!

FN2, your cage fighting comment cracked me UP! Sending healing wishes for that calf!

Stay fierce, Watulans!!

Old 02-26-21, 06:35 AM  
ChelePA

So glad you ladies are able to get your flu vaccines. We are still in group 1 for Pennsylvania. I don't see me getting it probably until the summer unless things majorly speed up. Same for my daughter. They have only vaccinated half the people that qualify in this group.

I am still trying to picture the cage thing...but I remember in my younger years, people dancing in the cages at the local club

My MIL needed a more intense surgery but is doing well so far.

I'm much weaker in my upper body...that newest live is probably right up my alley.

I looked at some of the Yoga recommendations. Wow you ladies are quite flexible, strong and with great balance. I can always modify but I think I need to stick with more basic, beginner routines like Sara Beth until I improve.

So I was up and moving early with Winston and decided to get my workout done. I know many of you ladies enjoy more advanced step so I'm hoping Kat's basic/intermediate is fun for you! She is definitely more repetitive since it's for those who are not at a higher level with choreography. I always use a 6 or 8 inch step for her routines to kick it up a notch. I absolutely loved this one! Despite the routine being more simple, the moves flow so nicely together and she always has the the best music!!!

I added Cathe's Mobility for a nice stretch at the end.

Hoping everyone's weather continues to be somewhat mild so you can enjoy it this weekend

Tags
watulan check-in