Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-21, 06:19 PM  
Gams

I hate workouts that are labeled low impact but contain a lot of high impact moves. Or instructors who try to fudge by saying you don’t have to jump, you can just do a little hop - sorry but that’s still high impact. Or you can just “sweep” your feet together - still high impact.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-21, 08:48 AM  
alisoncooks

I agree with a lot of these, but I came to post this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
Using one set of weights for the entirety of a workout.
I mean, my row weight is nothing like my triceps kickback weight!

Another peeve of mine: All the many unsupported upper body/back moves. I'm guaranteed to ruin my lower back for the rest of the day if I do all my upper body work bent over, unsupported. Whatever happened to putting on hand on a thigh or chair and working one side at a time?!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-21, 10:54 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I agree with a lot of these, but I came to post this:

I mean, my row weight is nothing like my triceps kickback weight!

Another peeve of mine: All the many unsupported upper body/back moves. I'm guaranteed to ruin my lower back for the rest of the day if I do all my upper body work bent over, unsupported. Whatever happened to putting on hand on a thigh or chair and working one side at a time?!
I usually tweak my lower back with strength workouts, and was wondering what modifications I could make. Never thought about support! Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-14-21, 02:24 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I so agree about unsupported back work or hamstring work. It's just not worth the risk. The lower back is such a vulnerable area.
Old 09-14-21, 08:56 AM  
Malinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
YES!!! I assume instructors do double rows, etc. to shorten the workout time, but I pause the workout and do single-arm, supported rows, reverse flyes, tricpes kickbacks, or what-have-you.
Old 09-14-21, 09:00 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn jane View Post
My biggest pet peeve is verbal tics.

Instructors who say "right" "nice," "come on," "ready," etc. over and over - especially "right" - it's like fingernails on a chalkboard!@
Agree. There is one Essentrics instructor who ends every single instructional sentence with "right." Over time, it just gets really annoying.
Old 09-22-21, 06:06 PM  
alisoncooks

Pet peeve! When a YouTube workout thumbnail shows the instructor on a beach or urban rooftop or by a lake…but the actual workout is set in some dingy basement workout room or something.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-21, 07:18 PM  
Sollamyn

Agree with many of the peeves mentioned.

I have one to add that is similar to the one about getting down on the floor and back up again too quickly. I hate when the instructor is doing the standing work on the mat that he/she then uses to do floorwork. Um--I don't do cardio or standing work on my mat and then lie down on the same mat, where my feet were! Maybe it's just me, but that bothers me. My workout space is small, so I have my mat standing by for floorwork. When it's time to move to the floor, I have to roll it out, which takes time. So, yeah, I have to keep my remote nearby to put the video on pause.

Oh, well....

Donna
Old 09-22-21, 09:37 PM  
Daffie

Doing an exercise on one side but when get to the other side spend a lot of time giving pointers for the move before starting.

Doing a few reps as instruction, resting then starting
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-21, 06:35 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Not pre-planning for editing. If you know you're going to shoot the entire workout and then break it into lots of premixes, plan for where the breaks will be so there aren't awkward transitions. I don't want to see you walking off to get your weights for or talking about a segment that's not coming up next in the premix I'm doing.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pet peeves