Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-16, 02:18 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Mike D: "The DVD market just died"

Maybe that doesn't bode well for his series? They also talk to Phil Dozois of Breakthru Fitness.

http://abc7.com/health/77-percent-of...-says/1215048/

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 02:29 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I think the DVD market is waning with the advent of streaming services and with all the free content on YouTube. I don't think the gym is as popular as it used to be either. I go to a lot of barre classes and they are very popular with the 20 - 40 crowd. I need to register ahead online to get a spot in a drop in class. Not so with their yoga or pure strength classes.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 03:16 PM  
TinierTina

DVDs are not the way to go with subscribers to simplicity (whether voluntary or involuntary). They have to be stored in a certain way; under certain conditions; they take up space; they become obsolete quickly in both content and technologically ...

If that weren't enough, some of us really LIKE theatrical (non-instructional) movies, no matter how outdated (unlike the fitness stuff that bends to trends and to newer research studies); having cut our teeth on Netflix. Ditto on those as well: as DVDs they pose even more and additional storage, furniture/space acquisition & allocation problems.

Unless one lives hermetically sealed from fumes, pests, dust, humidity, odors, vibrations and other environmental encroachments, one could add on the costs and time involved in maintaining the furniture, items and spaces ... not to mention equipment ... and the actual DVDs/DVD covers themselves.

So, the same could be said for audiotapes and audio CDs ... why has the .mp3 outlasted the iPod? Simply put, the medium.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 03:18 PM  
ellaenchanted

DVD have been losing steam for avwhile. I hate the tone of the article painting particular generation as lazy or ditzy. I am not even a millenia and I know that was stupid. They missed a big point here- boutique fitness is all the rage. If anything g, more people workout in so.e capacity than they did when I was in my teens an 20s.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 03:33 PM  
Chomper

Aww... And I just ordered Mike D's latest DVD last night... Maybe that will change his mind about making more.

I guess I'm not surprised people are on their phones and taking selfies at the gym. It seems like people can't cross the street without staring at their phones anymore.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 03:59 PM  
LizEMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
DVD have been losing steam for avwhile.
Right. The writing has been on the wall and a lot of instructors have been reading it. Eight months ago, I emailed Toby (Massenburg, I love his Ignite workout) and asked if he was going to do another DVD, and he was really on the fence about it, mentioning both cost and the advent of free online workouts via YT and online subscription sites like Daily Burn as some of the factors affecting his decision.

Just like cassette tapes and CDs becoming obsolete with the advent of mp3s and other digital music, DVDs are headed that way, too.

For numerous reasons, I'm not a fan of online workouts or streaming sites. I don't think I would mind direct downloads (I digitize almost all of my workouts anyway), but, for me, online offerings don't compare to actual hard copies. (For some reason, I find it so much harder to "click" with online instructors.)
Old 03-19-16, 04:00 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
DVD have been losing steam for avwhile. I hate the tone of the article painting particular generation as lazy or ditzy. I am not even a millenia and I know that was stupid. They missed a big point here- boutique fitness is all the rage. If anything g, more people workout in so.e capacity than they did when I was in my teens an 20s.
I agree, it's not about a generation being lazy, I don't like that either. I think it's about the evolution and the interconnection of fitness, media, and technology.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 04:12 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I agree, it's not about a generation being lazy, I don't like that either. I think it's about the evolution and the interconnection of fitness, media, and technology.
I'm a part of GenX and they said we were lazy back in the day. I guess every generation of people in their 20's is considered lazy by the older folks. I agree it has more to do with technology. I haven't been to a gym in ages and it has nothing to do with my generation. It has to do with so many workout options being available at home that I no longer needed to spend money on a gym, drive there, etc.

Having said that, I don't care for streaming as much because I don't own it. A workout I like could be taken down and there would be nothing I can do about it.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 04:31 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I'm a part of GenX and they said we were lazy back in the day. I guess every generation of people in their 20's is considered lazy by the older folks. I agree it has more to do with technology. I haven't been to a gym in ages and it has nothing to do with my generation. It has to do with so many workout options being available at home that I no longer needed to spend money on a gym, drive there, etc.

Having said that, I don't care for streaming as much because I don't own it. A workout I like could be taken down and there would be nothing I can do about it.
I download stuff I like and want to keep because the wi fi in my exercise room is awful. Store it on a chip and play when I want. I make sure to buy dvds or donate or even just click on an instructor's videos from time to time to support them.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 04:34 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizEMA View Post
Right. The writing has been on the wall and a lot of instructors have been reading it. Eight months ago, I emailed Toby (Massenburg, I love his Ignite workout) and asked if he was going to do another DVD, and he was really on the fence about it...

for me, online offerings don't compare to actual hard copies. (For some reason, I find it so much harder to "click" with online instructors.)
Yes and no. I, the quintessential (in age at least) Baby Boomer find the learning curve with an online offering to be very, very steep ... no matter how slow the preview playback setting ...

However, I am finding a problem understanding Gen X er video podcasters; and some TV shows where the characters talk-over one another very, very slurringly and fast (thank the powers that manifest themselves in the universe for "on-demand" in cable and the cord-cutter versions, alike - wherein you could repeat sections ) ... it is a problem in any medium in which you teach yourself complex movement ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandwagon bust, downloadable workouts, downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, external dvd drive, subscriptions