Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-16, 04:02 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Fitness Tracker Recs Please

I've decided to move into the 21st century now that my trusty pedometer battery has died. I found a few threads here, but assume several new products have been introduced since those were posted.

I don't know what I don't know - meaning that the latest trackers likely have features that I don't even know that I want. I really don't see a need to track my sleep or calories burned or hook up to my computer for any reason. I just want to know how many miles I walk when I go for an actual walk, and I guess it would be interesting to know how many steps/miles I put in during the day. I keep track of my workouts on a paper log, so I don't need a report of history from my computer.

I'd like something to wear on my wrist. Just from reading this post, I'm sure you can tell I'm basically clueless.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

ETA: The new Fitbit Alta looks nice!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 04:48 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I have a Jawbone UP. It's an older one and it's worn on the wrist. This was the first activity tracker I've ever worn on the wrist and I actually find it kind of annoying. If all you want is something that tracks steps and miles, then any of these new activity trackers would be overkill and you'd be spending on features you won't be using. Fitbit makes a cheaper one called the Zip, but it is not worn on the wrist (as far as I know). Where I work, they are giving these out to us in April so I'll be switching to that one then.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 04:55 PM  
raeven

The upcoming fitbit alta was exactly what I was going to suggest to you...or the fitbit one or zip. They will tell you on them how many steps you've taken for the day and how far you've gone. I suppose the garmin vivofit 2 does as well, and you don't need to charge it all the time, and the display is always on. Well, I just went to the garmin website and apparently they've announced a vivofit 3 now as well.

But if you aren't looking for heart rate or anything fancy...i'd stick to fitbit or the garmin vivofit lineup. I prefer fitbits smartphone app to garmin. However, a garmin doesn't need charged, nor does the fitbit zip..but it's not wrist worn. Anyway, welcome to the new age
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 05:04 PM  
lesia

I love my fitbit charge! I'm tech impaired and it was the *easiest* to sync with my phone. I've been breaking all kinds of step records (just being aware of being more active). I've lost 2 pounds this week and I've only had it for 4 days...
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 05:24 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I have fitbit charge. I only use it for steps. I turned off other features except alarms. It's a reminder for me to get up and walk at work (although most of the time I'm too busy ). The biggest reason I went for charge is the watch. I don't want to wear a watch and tracker!

Bear in mind, I think fitbit charge overcount your steps... but it will give you an idea if you are sedentary that day or moving a lot. It's not an exact number.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 07:23 PM  
IceQueen07

I bought the Fitbit Charge HR when it first came out but ended up returning it because while it had a lot of features it just wasn't worth it to me - too many things I really didn't need. I recently bought the Fitbit One and I love it much better. It tracks my steps and my sleep and really that is all I needed it for. I clip it on my bra and it doesn't interfere with anything and I don't have to worry about having to wear a tracker or a watch.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 07:41 PM  
holliholli915

If you really just want something to count steps and distance, you might just want to download an app. Before wearables were popular, I used the iTreadmill app that does exactly what you mention wanting from a tracker. Plus, it's free. At least it was when I downloaded it.

I agree with the others who said that most wearables are designed to do quite a bit. So, you'll run the risk of getting more than you want. But, there are streamlined versions out there. I just purchased a Wahoo Tickr, which is blue tooth enabled, and LOVE it! You wear the chest strap and download the app (I absolutely didn't want a wrist monitor and take my phone everywhere) and simply start the tracker when you work out.

It calculates laps, distance, HR, time, etc. There are different versions and I got the entry level version which is roughly $50.
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 08:09 PM  
curious621

Another suggestion for you if you want something that looks more like a watch is the Garmin Forerunner 15. I bought it to track my runs but I love the step tracker and the fact that it looks like a basic watch.
curious621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 08:50 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Lots to think about. Maybe I'd actually learn to use the additional features.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 11:15 PM  
lizh

If you have an iphone, I recommend the apple watch!
Worth it for impressing the grand kids!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness trackers