Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-21, 09:22 PM  
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
My library has the first Nancy Drew book available to borrow on Kindle. I may read it next...they also have some Lois Duncan - may borrow those, too.

Some nice easy and nostalgic reading..

Donna
I just checked and our small local library has 17 titles of the Nancy Drew series. Currently the library is closed, as most of the employees caught the virus, even though they were all vaccinated, so none seriously sick. Scheduled to be opened in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-23-21, 10:21 PM  
BunnyHop

Just thought I'd check in after finally completing Mimi Kuo-Deemer's Xiu Yang: The Ancient Chinese Art of Self-Cultivation for a Healthier, Happier, More Balanced Life

Don't worry, the book isn't all that long or complex. Once I'd begun reading, I realized I wanted to really learn what this one had to say so I made the effort to take notes as I read and tried to be consistent about it so I'd have some coherent notes at the end. Took almost a year, and a certain amount of deliberate effort, but I'm really feeling good about having completed this project. For me, setting a timer for twenty minutes every time I sat down with it helped me focus. Sometimes I wrote for much longer than that, others I all but cheered as the timer went off. Keeping track of my progress on GoodReads seems to have been nicely motivating too.

Tomorrow, I begin reviewing my notes to see how well I succeeded. For tonight, I'm just doing a little happy dance that the first step is done.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else might be interested. The book is actually pretty straightforward, thoughtfully written and well presented.

She does have Qi Gong dvd sets and some workouts on Youtube, if you just want to skip straight to the body work.
Old 09-24-21, 07:04 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

I finished Cul-De-Sac by Joy Fielding. Sooo good. It starts out with "someone in the neighborhood" got shot then proceeds to introduce and build the characters/stories of the people living on that street.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 07:28 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I read Gratitude by Oliver Sacks; it's a short book of 4 essays that I read in about 20 minutes.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 07:35 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I finished Cul-De-Sac by Joy Fielding. Sooo good. It starts out with "someone in the neighborhood" got shot then proceeds to introduce and build the characters/stories of the people living on that street.
I just read that also!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 07:36 AM  
sherry7899

I just started "The Perfect Family" by Robyn Harding. It has sucked me in.

Old 09-24-21, 08:45 AM  
donnamp

So, I decided to have some nostalgia reading, so I'm re-reading Lois Duncan's I know what you did Last Summer.

I'm actually disappointed b/c they have "modernized" it - the kids have cell phones, computers, etc.

I don't know why they did that? To appeal to the younger generation?

Why not leave it as is - it was set, I am guessing in the 1970's - why not just leave that as the setting for the story?

Anyway....I don't get it!

I'm still enjoying the re-read though...but wanted to remark on the modernization of the story.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 08:50 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Donna, that's weird! It would be strange to go back and read Nancy Drew that way.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 09:08 AM  
sherry7899

Donna, maybe they made a version that was released to go with the movie? I hope the original is still available. I would hate the updated version.

Old 09-24-21, 09:12 AM  
donnamp

Hi Sherry and Beth -

I think this was the original that was updated.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...an-update.html

I don't get it personally - why not just have them set in the time when they were written?

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading