Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-21, 06:09 AM  
Leonana

Taiga, I believe you can see getting up on one knee around the 4:30 mark in the video I linked above.
Old 09-14-21, 07:15 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Taiga, you can do that jump up? I've never tried it, but wow!

Sherry, what you linked to at the 4:40 mark is more how I most often get up. (I can also do the roll to the toes method just after that, but that feels jerky and uncomfortable!)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-21, 09:04 AM  
Leonana

Beth, that’s how I get up too.

I’ve never done the jump up, but it looks impressive!
Old 09-14-21, 04:35 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

You lower yourself the cross legged way at the beginning of a traditional Pilates mat workout, and you get up in a similar way after doing the crab, but there's some momentum involved. Can't do those moves anymore, but I'm working on it. Sometimes lowering yourself in a controlled way is also a challenge.
Old 09-14-21, 10:41 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Taiga, I believe you can see getting up on one knee around the 4:30 mark in the video I linked above.
I hadn't watched past the cross legged rise as I didn't realize he offered other variations. Looks like almost anything goes if you leave the hands out. I think most people who do MMA dvds (like Joey Alvarado/Shadow Jitsu etc) or KB deck squats can do these variations. If you are used to the training, it's second nature. If you sit at a desk regularly it might be surprisingly difficult. I had a friend who was recently quite surprised that she could no longer get off the floor without help. I think these abilities fade unless you monitor and actively keep them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Taiga, you can do that jump up? I've never tried it, but wow!

That jump up is typically part of a progression for box jumps. Also, programs like EBX2 include kneeling squats that can prep you for the jump-up. It's fun
Old 09-15-21, 03:37 PM  
Schnauzeritis

I've been thinking about this post a lot but was afraid to try the sit/stand test. I was so happy that I could actually do it until I saw this video. Of course I had used my knees when I originally did this. I was so afraid to try the new one but I tried it this morning and I was able to sit and stand!!! Woo Hoo!
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-21, 12:59 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Here is a link to the original study:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23242910/#affiliation-1

This is a good article discussing some of the limitations of this study/test:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...5e6_story.html

And yes, the idea is as few points of contact as possible. I can do it from sitting cross-legged with no hands/feet/knees by putting weight into my outer feet/ankles - it's not very comfortable though!
I used to be able to do this in the manner Beth describes, however after my foot surgery in the summer of 2019 and 2020, it wasn't allowed for at least a few months and it hurt to try it after that. As a result I stopped trying so at the moment I can not rise without using my knees. I can lower myself from standing using crossed legs using a decent amount of control. I should start practicing getting up off the floor though.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-21, 04:36 PM  
fanofladyvols

I watched somewhere someone mention things like this (and like the grip strength) there is a danger of using these like "no-cebos." (Sp?)

Basically, don't use them as a means to thinking the correlations are certain outcomes and fate for yourself.

Do what you can do (ok so you need to use a hand or a knee, so what?) and work towards them but don't beat yourself up if you can't.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-21, 05:04 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I watched somewhere someone mention things like this (and like the grip strength) there is a danger of using these like "no-cebos." (Sp?)

Basically, don't use them as a means to thinking the correlations are certain outcomes and fate for yourself.

Do what you can do (ok so you need to use a hand or a knee, so what?) and work towards them but don't beat yourself up if you can't.
Either direction..... right? I mean, if I *can* do that (which I'm able to if I cross a certain way -- if I put my other leg in front I cannot), it doesn't mean I can let loose and eat pear crisp for dinner, right?
Old 09-16-21, 08:51 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Either direction..... right? I mean, if I *can* do that (which I'm able to if I cross a certain way -- if I put my other leg in front I cannot), it doesn't mean I can let loose and eat pear crisp for dinner, right?

Eat the pear crisp...and try again!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sit stand test, sit-and-stand, sitting-rising test