Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-14-21, 10:54 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Dana - I highly recommend Voltaren gel for achy knees. It's over the counter now and I find that it truly does help my knees.
Carol
I'm getting Voltaren tomorrow, Carol. Thank you!
Old 09-15-21, 07:49 AM  
fanofladyvols

Dana does Jessica have ankle mobility videos? I know she has hip. We have made good progress with my husband's knees by focusing on hips-knees-ankles-feet. We start with feet. So many things go into our important knees it's hard for us to isolate the cause. I hope the Voltaren helps with the discomfort, too. So happy to keep reading Oliver is a-ok.

Donna what did you decide to do or what trainer are you using the most, do you think?

Carol are you enjoying Jessica's latest challenge? It seems gentle.

Yesterday was 21DF cardio. I wanted to see how my calf would take the high impact. It's a tough workout and I took a pause break to catch my breath. My calf is fine today. I won't do that workout again...not because it's challenging but because I'm not a fan of all the weight loss talk or the way she sequenced the exercises. Probably the only 21DF workout I haven't liked but I still have several to try. Today, I did CS 1223 stretch your spine. Lovely all standing workout.

Waves to Pam and Beth!! Happy Hump day to all!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-21, 09:34 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry to be MIA for a few days - I have been in a bit of a funk. Not like anything bad has happened, but I'm just feeling burned out by the grind - which is funny b/c I had two vacations over the summer - but work just keeps chugging along and it seems there is never a breather - just more to do.... Plus I'm not fond about the return of the heat and humidity - I was getting into a good groove w/ dog walks in the evenings, but it is really not great to walk my hairy Golden when it is so humid.

Anyway...yesterday was:

Lively Ladies -25 Min Energy Burst Workout
Yoga w/ Bird - Every Day Yoga to Feel Your Best
Robin Long/ The Balanced Life - Pilates for better Sleep (did this one in the evening)

And, today, so far has been:

Lively Ladies - Trim & Tone Butt and Thighs
Yoga w/ Bird - 10 Min Hips and Low Back Stretch

The Lively Ladies are keeping me positive - these seem to be just right. I don't find them particularly hard, but I don't find them too easy either. At the end of the workout I have worked up a sweat but I'm not exhausted.

Dana - I have been subscribing to Ellen's site since 2018. I'm a huge Ellen fan as you can probably tell. Some of the workouts on her site are better than others - she sometimes has guest instructors and the only ones I liked were the ones Natalie did. TBH, the set of three workouts she has for download are not my favorites - I think she is just piloting those for the download market b/c they are short and probably easier to work with than a longer video. I still do those three from time to time but there are others I like better. Recently I have noticed an improvement in her production and music and the workout she put out for this month is a good one! I did it on Monday during my lunch break. She also does some workouts for Daily Burn - maybe one a month. On her site she offers one new workout a month - some months they are 15-20 min and other months 45 min. But her streaming is reasonably priced and even though I own the studio workouts on DVD, I like the convenience of using the streaming platform. She has also done some nice yoga inspired workouts recently which I also enjoy. For a 7 day free trial you can check it out and for a monthly subscription of $5.95 you can pop in and out pretty easily!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-21, 12:19 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Hi everyone!

Carol, I purchased Voltaren this morning and just put some on my knee, which BTW is getting worse. I have no pain while walking but I have problems going up the stairs and I do have those in my house. They say it may take up to 7 days to feel improvement. I'll see what happens. Thanks for recommending it.

Linda, the only ankle mobility video I found on JV's site is Strong Ankles, Knees and Hips I did couple of days ago. It was 18 min long and it was OK. Maybe there are more but when I filtered by "ankle mobility" specifically, this was the only one that came up.

Donna, thanks for your comments about Ellen's site. I will probably try it for 7 days and see what's there. Monthly subscription of 5.95 is really super affordable too. I'm going to wait though until my knee feels better.

Nothing to report in terms of exercise today. I may do some stretching or floor pilates so that I don't put a pressure on that knee.

Waves to all!
Old 09-15-21, 12:47 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Popping in to say hello!
We are camping in our trailer, not to far from home & close to your youngest son & DIL. We had a fun evening out with them last night.

Yesterday’s offerings:
~taught Essentrics on zoom
~PT exercises
~3km walk - fairly flat, used my walking poles

I also love Ellen & have subscribed to her streaming for a month or two here & there. I’m due for another month or two soon.

Donna - Sorry you’re in a funk!

Dana - I hope the Voltaren helps your knee. I feel like turning 60 is the beginning of an ongoing game of whack a mole. You just get one issue sorted out and up pops a new one.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-21, 07:47 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Silver&Fit - International Mixed Format with Kim 9/13/21 - 30 minutes

Another video filmed in Costa Rica with the sound of waves in the background. This was a mix of unweighted lower body strength moves - calf raises, lunges, plie squats - and stretching using a chair. A very mellow workout which suited me just fine today.

Pam - Enjoy your camping trip!

Dana - Hope the Voltaren helps you. Jessica Smith has a few short video segments for knees I think. I can't remember which DVD set has them though.

I used Jessica Valant's knee videos to rehab some knee issues a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5b0...aValantPilates and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovzl...aValantPilates. I liked the second video the best.

Donna - Sorry you've got the blahs. I'm got them too - work is not energizing me these days, which is unusual. I am dragging through my days.

Linda - I never did warm up to the 21DF set. I wanted to - especially because they were 30 minute workouts - but it never happened.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-21, 08:12 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

CocoLime - MIT # 7 - (Medium Intensity Training) - this was a bit more advanced than her other MIT workouts, although I could have used another round or two!

CocoLime - COGA # 3 - this is Suzanne's take on yoga. This was a nice routine, a little stretching w/ some body weight toning

I needed a change this morning and I remember I subscribed to her site for .99 for this month - so decided to give some of the workouts a try.

Last night DD and I walked our Golden - so that was nice.

Not much else going on here today!

Carol - I'm sorry your are in a funk, too.

Waves, everyone!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-21, 10:03 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

ePilates Toning Band Class 1 - 25min. I liked it a lot!
ePilates Plank/Pushup Blitz - 6min
WH Pilates Mat - 17min. Great class that packed a lot in 17minutes.

Pam, so true that turning 60 is the beginning of an ongoing game of whack a mole. Well said and it made me laugh!

My knee is no better nor worse today. Fortunately, it doesn't bother me much when I walk but going up or down the stairs is a real challenge. Hopefully it's just some arthritis or I aggravated something in my knee that's going to resolve itself on its own with rest. I'm a cardio person but I'm really beginning to appreciate floor work and pilates.

Waves to all!
Old 09-16-21, 07:49 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Update: good news and bad news:

After only 2 days of Voltaren (3xday) for 2 days, my left knee feels much, much better right now. Miracle! Bad news: while I was walking down the stairs at home taking care not to put too much pressure on my aching left knee, I apparently put too much pressure on my right knee which buckled under me and I almost fell down and I pulled something in my knee by doing so. Whack a mole, Pam! I don't know what the cause of pain of my left knee was, but I sure know why my right knee hurts right now.
Old 09-16-21, 07:53 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were:

Barre3 - Strength with Dustin - 7/7/21 - 35 minutes
This was more of a traditional strength workout and less like a barre workout. I sweated and my heart rate got up. I will be sore tomorrow. I liked the instructor - good energy.

A couple of freebies from Pilates By Lisa -
Just Five Minutes More - Legs
Just Five Minutes More - Stretch with the Band
Probably my favorite stretch of all time. I would resubscribe to Lisa's site but all of her workouts are super tough for me...

Dana - Stairs are just hard. They were always tough for me when my knee was acting up. Drat it! Hope you didn't mess anything up with your right knee! I've done a lot of PT over the years for knee issues, but I haven't had any more problems (fingers crossed) since I lost all my weight.

Donna - Today was a better day. I actually got something accomplished at work and that tends to influence my mindset.

Pam- Yes, whack a mole it is. I gave a birthday card to my college roommate for her 65th birthday in July - it appeared to be a photo taken in the 1940s with one woman in a dress up looking under the hood of the car - inside it read something like "at our age, it's all about maintenance!". Isn't that the truth?!

Waves ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad