Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-21, 07:42 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Erica - ((Hugs)) Tough stuff to hear. Think of the long haul though - 6 months isn't that long compared to the years ahead.
I can't process it right now. It's too overwhelming. Six months just to start back up. Slowly. And the surgeon said count on the full year to heal (and the earliest I can have surgery would be close to five months since the injury first occurred). I'm going to lose all of my fitness. I've had multiple surgeries in the past few years but I never had to take this much time off. I need my workouts for my stress/anxiety/mental health.

Kaleigh spin this morning and one of Sydney's summertime fine lower body workouts (forgot which one).

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-21, 09:23 PM  
bex

Shanghai has been really hot, and I've been busy with work so I've been resisting my usual workouts. Last night I finally got myself out of my slump and did Heather Robertson's Glow Up Challenge Day 4 - Upper Body Tone & Sculpt. A solid low weight and high reps workout, I sweated and felt better afterwards.

I find I'm dreading EPIC 2, so I might need to keep doing Heather for a while until I find more enthusiasm.

Erica - I'm so sorry to hear you've had a discouraging prognosis. You're definitely allowed to feel sad and worried. But a year goes by really quickly. Exactly 1 year ago I was recovering from surgery and only allowed to walk. No weights, no bike rides, nada.

Last year Aug 29 was the first day I was allowed to go back in the gym, where I did 30 mins gentle steady state on the elliptical, not allowing my HR to get above 120.

Now I'm a badass. And so are you. So take care of your body, and allow what needs to happen.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-21, 08:23 AM  
buffmama

Sydney Cummings Summertime Fine 3.0 Day 82 Arms & Legs - 53 min
MrandMrsMuscle 4 min Fat Loss no. 23 - 4 min

Changed up my cardio moves - boxing, kickboxing, squat taps... Also only did one bi/tri move and added in a larger muscle - pullovers and something else?? Workouts without a lot of isolation or working numerous muscles seem to fly by. 8 more days til I am onto the next best thing.
Old 08-27-21, 08:44 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post

Erica - I'm so sorry to hear you've had a discouraging prognosis. You're definitely allowed to feel sad and worried. But a year goes by really quickly. Exactly 1 year ago I was recovering from surgery and only allowed to walk. No weights, no bike rides, nada.

Last year Aug 29 was the first day I was allowed to go back in the gym, where I did 30 mins gentle steady state on the elliptical, not allowing my HR to get above 120.

Now I'm a badass. And so are you. So take care of your body, and allow what needs to happen.
Kaleigh spin and Caroline's upper body from her circuit series. I like this one a lot. Lowered my weights for shoulders and biceps but went heavy on everything else.

I've had several surgeries in the past few years but none had such a long recovery time where I couldn't do anything. With my two intestinal surgeries I was encouraged to walk right away and I gradually increased my duration and intensity until I could get back to spinning, weight lifting, and finally running. It was tough mentally (especially finding out I had to go through the exact same surgery one year later) but at least I was doing something. With this one there's really nothing I can do for a long time. Still haven't decided - lots to think about. I wish it were an easy decision.

ETA - I really need to keep this in perspective, though. I'll either deal with it as it is and hope it doesn't get worse or have the surgery and recover. It's not life-threatening or anything close to what other people go through. Another issue is that we wanted to see our adult sons this fall but now we can't due to this injury. We couldn't go in 2017-2019 due to my surgeries/medical issues and then 2020 was Covid. One is moving in November, which means we'll never see where he has been living. And the other plans on moving in the next year or so - if I have the surgery, I won't be well enough to go before he leaves. I feel so guilty about it - especially because I'm holding DH back. I've told him to go without me (anytime but when I need him after the surgery) but he says no for now.

Erica
Old 08-28-21, 08:10 AM  
buffmama

Sydney Cummings Summertime Fine 3.0 Day 79 Cardio & Abs - 53 min

I liberally changed multiple exercises to better suit me but didn't veer too far off the path.
Old 08-28-21, 09:16 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post

I liberally changed multiple exercises to better suit me but didn't veer too far off the path.
I do the same. There are certain exercises I can't or won't do so I always sub those.

Kaleigh spin and Sydney Summertime Fine Legs today. Added most of the lower body work Caroline posted yesterday in her full body Endure(? - can't remember the name) series.

Erica
Old 08-29-21, 01:43 AM  
bex

Yesterday I hit it hard with Caroline's EPIC 2 The Slow Burn - Full Body. I loved this workout, but it took me down. Nice basic moves and I could really feel my muscles engaging. While I was doing it, the workout didn't seem super-tough but when I was done, I was done. It pulled me into an afternoon nap.

I'm finding EPIC 2 really is harder. I'm considering repeating the week 1 workouts a few times, like I did with Beginner EPIC before I took on EPIC 1.

Stretched out with Sydney Cummings' 12 Min Deep Stretch which I liked and seemed to match the deliberate pace of Caroline's workout.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-21, 10:36 AM  
buffmama

Sydney Cummings Summertime Fine 3.0 Day 78 Strength & Conditioning - 48 min
MrandMrsMuscle Real Time HIIT no. 1 Legs & Glutes - 11 min

Lots of shoulder presses here with Sydney. Only 2 rounds with Mrs Muscle and a warm up. Will start going through this series as add ons.
Old 08-30-21, 06:53 AM  
buffmama

Sydney Cummings Summertime Fine 3.0 Day 83 FB BW HIIT - 30 min
Old 08-31-21, 07:11 AM  
buffmama

Sydney Cummings Summertime Fine 3.0 Day 80 Glutes & Shoulders - 45 min
MrandMrsMuscle Full Body HIIT no. 4 - 10 min

Loved MrandMrsMuscle I did - frog jumps with alt clean and press, 2 push ups and lunge with row, front lunge with SA shoulder press, glute bridge in table. The combo moves were smooth and the overhead work really helps with stability. Even though I've done most of these I imagine I will go back through them as their latest offerings are 20-30 min.

Tags
calisthenics, caroline girvan, epic, growingannanas, heather robertson, mrandmrsmuscle