Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-16, 08:54 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
My only downloads are Jessica Smith's in Purple Player. I can access them through my account on any of my devices. I have a PP player app on both my laptop & tablet. So really I guess they stream, although there is a download option which I assume would put them exclusively on my laptop.
Mine though are on a Purple Player app via gaia UNPLUGGED, but this is totally term-limited (not permanent ... only good for the month I pay current for the streaming service) ... and not all that I attempt to download transfer (to same-device ... using the "logical cloud" step in its playback) effectively.

Updates in the downloads are frequent as well before it could play back. Purple Player is in beta testing. And it's used only because I have slower internet than enough in my area ...

Thus it's licensure and not an actual permanent licensure (some of which are no longer supported, e.g. Amazon Unbox via Quicktime before everything went to Windows or whatever ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
The videos that I download I keep a backup copy on an external hard drive as well as loading them on a high volume flash drive or SD chip that I then play on my laptop streaming to a TV.
Oh, I could still "back them up" to anything I want, but I would have to be current with the streaming service. These downloads become inoperable once I leave www.gaia.com ...

I've got old pilates actual purchased downloads (if I remembered to back them up) from Myyogaonline (the precursor to gaia) that still work via the Movies app on my notebook. They and some of my dance and yoga downloads, had gone bye-bye in the merger - and I had not backed them up. Unlike other sites I've purchased downloads from, even though I'd bought them, I could never get them back from gaia, now. So, the post-merger site acts like Amazon Unbox in that way ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 08:59 PM  
CatInTheHat

As far as storage, I would look into Dropbox or Crashplan. My husband and I have Crashplan and it just backs up in the background, so we lose a laptop and we can just get a new one, and upload everything from Crashplan.

I have Dropbox for work, it's great. All my work files are on there and the files look like they are on my computer. They show up where the other files do in File Explorer, just in a separate Dropbox section. You can even leave them on Dropbox and just play them out of there and never load them on to your laptop again.

I've never streamed anything fitness wise - can you guys let me know what you use, where you go, if you go to a specific instructor site or if you go to a place that has a bunch of different instructors?
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 09:01 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Tina - I am not quite sure what you mean. My downloads are in my Jessica Smith account and play through purple player. So they are permanently there and I've had them for several months. They aren't time limited.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 09:05 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Mine though are on a Purple Player app via gaia UNPLUGGED, but this is totally term-limited (not permanent ... only good for the month I pay current for the streaming service) ... and not all that I attempt to download transfer (to same-device ... using the "logical cloud" step in its playback) effectively.

Updates in the downloads are frequent as well before it could play back. Purple Player is in beta testing. And it's used only because I have slower internet than enough in my area ...

Thus it's licensure and ... Unlike other sites I've purchased downloads from, even though I'd bought them, I could never get them back from gaia, now. So, the post-merger site acts like Amazon Unbox in that way ...
They really should make plans to fix that, btw.

When my Dell had crashed, everyone else was nice about replacing the lost stuff ...

Some of the downloaded were copies of the respective DVD, digitized by the sites themselves for me ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 03-19-16, 09:07 PM  
TinierTina

Wink Commitmentphobes are Us has me as a Member ...

Quote:
Tina - I am not quite sure what you mean. My downloads are in my Jessica Smith account and play through purple player. So they are permanently there and I've had them for several months. They aren't time limited.
Do you plan to permanently renew the Jessica Smith account, and by that I clearly and only mean, pay for the service beyond the end of what you signed up for initially?

I am strictly month-to-month (a one month term at a time) with gaia.

I did the math and I can't commit.

Not when a "reformed" Zumba instructor (retro and she doesn't even know it) who teaches a kind of cardio funk (all levels/extremely downmodifiable for me/moreover, a live-class feel) would possibly get her turn ... [I do one fitness streaming service at a time .. ]

-Bettina

Old 03-19-16, 09:08 PM  
froggy

Maybe the millennials are getting a bad rap. https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=M4IjTUxZORE

I'm a gen Xer who loves all media forms, soft and hard, still uses some vhs even, and is obsessed with fitness games and apps. Does fiddling with a timer or looking up the next exercise count as checking your phone between sets? Perhaps the millennials enjoy following workouts on their phones. I've done that many times. I also expect to be able to shop, sign up for classes, and see schedules online. I agree that this is more about advancement in tech than the laziness of a generation
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 09:21 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Do you plan to permanently renew the Jessica Smith account, and by that I clearly and only mean, pay for the service beyond the end of what you signed up for initially?

I am strictly month-to-month (a one month term at a time) with gaia.

I did the math and I can't commit.
I didn't sign up for anything. I bought downloads, one time charge like buying her DVDs. No subscription involved, no ongoing fees.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 09:30 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
My thoughts exactly. I can't go to live classes because of time constraints and distance to most classes I WOULD like to attend. Streaming totally works for me and it's worth it. I'm a Boomer.
Me too. I'm a Buster...just barely.
Old 03-19-16, 09:59 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
I didn't sign up for anything, I bought downloads, one time charge like buying her DVDs. No subscription involved, no ongoing fees.
That's great!

No cloud involved, evidently, unless you want it to be. And probably, probably no complications ...

Complications abound in this genre these days: I do have recent permanent video fitness downloads from iTunes (Doonya and In the Dance Fitness Jamaica) ... but my End User Licensing Agreement with iTunes still reserves for them the right to discontinue and/or not replace lost stuff in the future ... and I cannot open them from any app other than iTunes ...

-Bettina

Old 03-19-16, 10:31 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
Maybe the millennials are getting a bad rap. https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=M4IjTUxZORE

I'm a gen Xer who loves all media forms, soft and hard, still uses some vhs even, and is obsessed with fitness games and apps. Does fiddling with a timer or looking up the next exercise count as checking your phone between sets? Perhaps the millennials enjoy following workouts on their phones. I've done that many times. I also expect to be able to shop, sign up for classes, and see schedules online. I agree that this is more about advancement in tech than the laziness of a generation
Your link does not work for some. Here is a more-supported link for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4IjTUxZORE

-Bettina

Tags
bandwagon bust, downloadable workouts, downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, external dvd drive, subscriptions