Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-15, 07:55 PM  
KBear

If you don't have to have it right away, you may want to keep watching. I have seen items that were "exclusive to Prime members" to regular status. I understand your frustration. It is totally annoying.

I gave in and signed up when they offered special pricing recently. I figured even normal price, it is little over $8 per month; I thought I try for one year.
KBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 08:34 PM  
CatInTheHat

If you're going to check out any vegetable peeling/slicing related item on amazon, make sure to check this one out, and read the reviews. Definitely read the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Hutzler-571-Ba...+banana+slicer
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 08:54 PM  
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat View Post
If you're going to check out any vegetable peeling/slicing related item on amazon, make sure to check this one out, and read the reviews. Definitely read the reviews:

thanks for the giggles
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 09:15 PM  
BunnyHop

The thing that bugs me about the 'members only' pricing is that there isn't a 'price for everybody else' at the same time.

Comparison shopping might be more effective if we had the chance to compare AND shop.

As it is, it's all too easy to buy what you need elsewhere.

This is the problem that brick and mortar retailers have had because of online shopping, and now it seems that Amazon has created this problem for themselves. Intentional? Kinda thinking not.
Old 10-07-15, 09:53 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I was searching for an item on the web the other day, and stumbled across Jet.com, which had the lowest price, but unfortunately, Jet.com is like an online Costco with a membership fee of $49. No thanks! Not only am I not interested in a fee just to get the savings, but web shopping is so competitive. Jet's prices would have to be insanely cheaper than elsewhere in order to entice me to pay an annual membership fee.

I am not a Costco member either. I think paying a membership fee would compel me to buy stuff I wouldn't have otherwise purchased.
Interesting about jet.com. I have been getting their ads in coupon mailings and I was going to check it out. I think I'll pass.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 10:07 PM  
loverly7

I am a Prime member and have been since pretty close to the beginning. I love it and think it's worth it, and that's coming from me (me who won't pay for cable because it's crazy overpriced for what it is, me who would never have a SAMs Club membership just to shop at a store, etc). I use prime for the super fast shipping, the videos, the music, the 5 percent off on the Amazon credit card (I always pay in full each month, but it saves 5 percent each month), the photos. I have to say, when I had an issue with thinking I had lost a bunch of pictures when my computer crashed I was so relieved that I had Amazon photos as a prime benefit, because all my pictures were there, safe and sound. When I have issues sometimes with iTunes (and I have an iPhone) Amazon seems able to get around any glitches so I can get my items on my phone by using Amazon prime benefits. I'm definitely a fan; just my two cents.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 10:21 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverly7 View Post
I am a Prime member and have been since pretty close to the beginning. I love it and think it's worth it, and that's coming from me (me who won't pay for cable because it's crazy overpriced for what it is, me who would never have a SAMs Club membership just to shop at a store, etc). I use prime for the super fast shipping, the videos, the music, the 5 percent off on the Amazon credit card (I always pay in full each month, but it saves 5 percent each month), the photos. I have to say, when I had an issue with thinking I had lost a bunch of pictures when my computer crashed I was so relieved that I had Amazon photos as a prime benefit, because all my pictures were there, safe and sound. When I have issues sometimes with iTunes (and I have an iPhone) Amazon seems able to get around any glitches so I can get my items on my phone by using Amazon prime benefits. I'm definitely a fan; just my two cents.

I have been a Prime member and like it for the fast shipping and being able to order stuff that is hard to find around where I live. I pretty much hate schlepping around to buy stuff. I don't use the videos or music much. I do want to use the Amazon Pictures though. I can't seem to remember to get started with it. Loverly, is it pretty straightforward? How time consuming is it?

My main problem with Amazon is some of their business practices, particularly how they treat their employees. I am also concerned about bricks and mortar bookstores going out of business. I have been guilty in the past of looking at books in stores and buying them on Amazon. I was really into my Kindle for awhile but the main reason why I like it now is that I can take loads of books on vacation with me without the weight and bulk. So I am now turning the tables a little on Amazon. I read the Kindle samples and if it is something I want to read I order it from my local independent bookstore or borrow it from the library. It costs more but I get to talk to the store owner about books. It's more personal. I also have been buying more from Barnes and Noble because I want to keep them in business too. My husband is a member and we have been getting some good deals and it only costs like $20/year.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 08:06 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat View Post

OMG! I'm crying. Thank you!
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 08:41 AM  
sherry7899

I received an email that Amazon now has "handmade by Amazon" featuring hand crafted items. What will that do to etsy?!

I admit I buy a ton from Amazon. We do not have a good independent bookstore near us, and I buy a lot of household items through there also.
We do have Walmart and Kmart near us (nearest Target is 20 minutes away) but I really hate going to both-plus, they don't have great selections anyway.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 10:00 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
... What will that do to etsy?!

Etsy? Responsible for their own troubles.

IIRC a number of other sites have sprung up to compete with Etsy, so Amazon's not the only one.

Tags
amazon, amazon prime